"Merry Christmas" vs. "Happy Holidays"

Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Merry Christmas. And I've never gotten a "stink eye".

Ivanka Trump (a Jewish woman) also says Merry Christmas first!

I don't care what people say. In all honesty, if I use the greeting it is with people I somewhat know and wish their family well. In my community that is 99.9999% people comfortable with Christmas and its meaning. But I usually tell retail workers and anyone I don't know "thank you, have a nice day."

Seriously - if someone has taken a moment to say something kind to me or anyone else, the last thing I care about is whether it aligns to my faith (how could they know) or if they're trying to or trying not to make a point.

This bs is what is wrong with the US. The fact that the right makes this an issue is just insane.

And, if one more righty makes a point of saying "merry xmas" with the wink, wink, nudge, nudge - look at me stick it to the establishment" attitude I might just pop em' (though the more adult part of me just takes a little pride in replying "yes, happy holiday to you".)

Seriously - if someone has taken a moment to say something kind to me or anyone else, the last thing I care about is whether it aligns to my faith (how could they know) or if they're trying to or trying not to make a point.

This bs is what is wrong with the US. The fact that the right makes this an issue is just insane.

And, if one more righty makes a point of saying "merry xmas" with the wink, wink, nudge, nudge - look at me stick it to the establishment" attitude I might just pop em' (though the more adult part of me just takes a little pride in replying "yes, happy holiday to you".)

Quoting yourself? :lol:

hijab_thumbnail.jpg

jewish-sect-children-20140203.jpg

And just for fun

obama-yamaka36.jpg

So I guess you don't know for sure, but sometimes you get a good idea.

I am very appreciative when anyone sincerely wishes me a blessing or happiness no matter what religion it comes from....or if it's simply "happy holidays".

It is very confusing to me why anyone would be offended by that.

People who are offended by any of this is just looking for a reason to be offended. They must be miserable people.

• Fire 1

I've never cared about which one people use. Personally, I'm a Merry Christmas guy. By the way, belated Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all of you on here. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season and hopefully enjoy at least a little time off work or school.

The fact that this is even a controversial subject stems from the fact that Fox News need something to be mad at/fill time slots in December, IMO.

I wonder if there are more people actually offended by "Merry Christmas" or more people offended by the fact that someone might choose "Happy Holidays" instead.

I use both pretty interchangeably. I've always celebrated Christmas in the entirely secular, everybody's holiday sense. I've never celebrated any of the other holidays that fall this time of year. I just think of this favorite time of year as Christmas because I grew up thinking that way. Ingrained in no small part by the culture around me, I suppose. Lots of Home Alone.

As America is so diverse, I completely understand how "happy holidays" is a more inclusive default, as well as probably a more accurate expression for someone who has no ties to the Christian aspect aspect of the tradition. I don't understand why anyone who believes in affirming this diversity would have a conniption over this, and it's been greatly perturbing to see that happen.