Softest program in college football

Geeboo07

How many scholarship guys do we have each week that are healthy to liven up practices and have full contact? Can we keep 11 guys healthy on each side of the ball throughout the year if we are hitting all week long? I'm not so sure we can. I also am not at practices so I have no clue what goes on.

I mean ... we aren't exactly doing a great job of avoiding injuries with what we're doing. Maybe they're not used to the hitting and that's making it worse?

How many scholarship guys do we have each week that are healthy to liven up practices and have full contact? Can we keep 11 guys healthy on each side of the ball throughout the year if we are hitting all week long? I'm not so sure we can. I also am not at practices so I have no clue what goes on.

I mean ... we aren't exactly doing a great job of avoiding injuries with what we're doing. Maybe they're not used to the hitting and that's making it worse?

I could definitely believe that.

I don't pretend to know that answer

I don't pretend to know that answer

Me either...

The more you bleed in training, the less you bleed in combat. Yes, this is football, not combat, but the philosophy rings true. You prepare your mind and body in more arduous training. hence sparring in martial arts, force on force in the ,military and law enforcement. You get used to being hit, it starts to bother you less and less.

You don't want the first time you get ear holed to be in a game against a team that already has a reputation "as a physical" team. You don't want the first time you get pancaked to be on national tv on the jumbo ton......

You play how you practice. Half speed, touch tackling, wrap up, but not to the ground etc...gets you has a$$ play....

• Fire 2

Can't help but wonder if a lot of the issues with poor tackling and poor angles are the result of lack of intensity in practice.

Damon Benning has been complaining about that since this staff got here.

Damon is a smart guy and calls it like he sees it. He knows we are not tough and physical in practice. This has to change if we expect to compete with Wisconsin, Iowa, OSU, hell, everyone for that matter.

We need to make practices an all out war. That is the only way to teach toughness and make every player next to you better.

• Fire 1

6-6 next year? Riley is a 500 coach, he better start a lot of freshman, red shirt freshman and sophomores if he wants to be around! I would call them more then soft it begins with p and ends with s.

Players? Also it's "than", not "then".

I am sure there are plenty of typos on here...no need to be an *** and correct others. I know you are still young but just learn to move on.

As for the overall sentiment in this thread, yes NU is way too soft and has been for a while. Hiring the right coaches is the best way to overcome this challenge. I am hoping that Parella and Williams on defense can help bring back some of the nastiness we need to win the big games.

• Fire 1

6-6 next year? Riley is a 500 coach, he better start a lot of freshman, red shirt freshman and sophomores if he wants to be around! I would call them more then soft it begins with p and ends with s.

Players? Also it's "than", not "then".
I am sure there are plenty of typos on here...no need to be an *** and correct others. I know you are still young but just learn to move on.

As for the overall sentiment in this thread, yes NU is way too soft and has been for a while. Hiring the right coaches is the best way to overcome this challenge. I am hoping that Parella and Williams on defense can help bring back some of the nastiness we need to win the big games.

If he's going to be a douche and call our players p***ies, I'm going to call him out for simple typos. It's my subtle way of calling him something without saying it. If I were to respond to him how I'd truly like to, I'd get banned.
  • Fire 1

I won't attack the players, but will attack the play. It was in a word "weak." They were on their heels and absorbing the opposition as opposed to attacking. Talent, coaching, culture and an apparent complete lack of pride seem to all be variables. Now that the B1G was exposed as NOT being the best conference in the nation, it is all the more saddening that we are an average program within it.

I feel things are getting off track on this thread. The main point of starting this thread is that NU is soft as far as strength training and it is obvious when watching the games as well as when the coaches are also saying the same thing. There are no narratives that are trying to be "fit" here.