What does Banker do well?

Play 10 yards off the guy, as they run 6 yard routes...blows my mind

Yep. Our CBs are 10 yards off and concede any pass 5-6 yards. I do not understand why our corners play off so much.

We play soft because we can't cover in man. So better to give up the short stuff.
That may be a good initial observation. However, when you are down 10+ points in the fourth quarter, you need to switch it up and play man-to-man tighter. There really is no excuse for the lack of adjustments made.
Did you miss the long touchdown pass? The coaching staff doesn't trust our DB's. Not saying I agree with it but it's the reality.
Oh no not another touchdown pass! What will we do down 20+ instead of 10+...It is really stupid to argue that the coaching staff shouldn't have made adjustments. I don't care if you don't trust the DBs (which I trust more than our mediocre DL). Sounds like another excuse...I get enough of those at work.
If we can't cover in tight man what exactly are they supposed to do? Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of banker but what adjustment are they going to make?
The adjustment would be to attempt to play tight man-on-man coverage. You could be right and it might not work. But, in the fourth quarter when you are down, what do you have to lose? Lose by more than estimated? At least you can silence the critics (like myself) and say you tried something different.

It's not really Bankers job to worry about what the critics think he should do. It's to give his players a chance to be successful and to win games. He watches them in practice everyday so that's the coverage we play. Which is a huge improvement over last years mess.

Yep. Our CBs are 10 yards off and concede any pass 5-6 yards. I do not understand why our corners play off so much.

I know the idea that Riley always brings up is to prevent the big plays given up on defense. But playing off the line of scrmmage is not preventing our Corners from getting beat deep as they did plenty of times today. Luckily Tenn WRs dropped most of the passes instead of catching TDs against us. Not good and when we play off, we give up too many first downs and drives and lose field position and our defense has to tackle too much, etc. IMO

We play soft because we can't cover in man. So better to give up the short stuff.
That may be a good initial observation. However, when you are down 10+ points in the fourth quarter, you need to switch it up and play man-to-man tighter. There really is no excuse for the lack of adjustments made.
Did you miss the long touchdown pass? The coaching staff doesn't trust our DB's. Not saying I agree with it but it's the reality.
Oh no not another touchdown pass! What will we do down 20+ instead of 10+...It is really stupid to argue that the coaching staff shouldn't have made adjustments. I don't care if you don't trust the DBs (which I trust more than our mediocre DL). Sounds like another excuse...I get enough of those at work.
If we can't cover in tight man what exactly are they supposed to do? Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of banker but what adjustment are they going to make?
The adjustment would be to attempt to play tight man-on-man coverage. You could be right and it might not work. But, in the fourth quarter when you are down, what do you have to lose? Lose by more than estimated? At least you can silence the critics (like myself) and say you tried something different.
It's not really Bankers job to worry about what the critics think he should do. It's to give his players a chance to be successful and to win games. He watches them in practice everyday so that's the coverage we play. Which is a huge improvement over last years mess.

One could contend that it is Bankers' job to worry about what the "critics" believe he should do ... unless you believe he's been so successful that his job isn't close to being on the line. Honestly, we will simply will have to agree to disagree, unless you want to derail the thread. Hopefully, Banker is successful. I mean I believe we are both Nebraska fans so I hope to eat crow one day!

Seems like our guys tackled better than the last 2-3 years. Didn't see guys way out of position too much. Wasn't a lot of confusion (system easy to grasp). DBs played well and seemed tight.

This is mostly due to us playing a lot of offenses that were VERY pedestrian.

When we played offenses with actual athletes - Oregon, Ohio State, Tennessee - we were bad. And then ..... Iowa.

One could contend that it is Bankers' job to worry about what the "critics" believe he should do ... unless you believe he's been so successful that his job isn't close to being on the line. Honestly, we will simply will have to agree to disagree, unless you want to derail the thread. Hopefully, Banker is successful. I mean I believe we are both Nebraska fans so I hope to eat crow one day!

What argument could possibly be made that it is Banker's job to listen to his critics? I don't care how good he gets (or doesn't get), some entitled jackass will whing and cry because he doesn't call enough stunts, or enough blitzes, or this or that upsets them. It is not ANY coaches job to listen to their critics.

What argument could possibly be made that it is Banker's job to listen to his critics? I don't care how good he gets (or doesn't get), some entitled jackass will whing and cry because he doesn't call enough stunts, or enough blitzes, or this or that upsets them. It is not ANY coaches job to listen to their critics.

Sure it is. If the critic is your boss. Also, an inability to adapt and being narrow-minded are not coaching traits I admire.

Sure it is. If the critic is your boss. Also, an inability to adapt and being narrow-minded are not coaching traits I admire.

Yeah, I'm with Elf here . The day the coaching staff starts listening to outside influence (fans, media, boosters) is the day they need to pack up and go. You gotta stick with your convictions. If it doesn't work out, well, it seems like every coach gets fired at one time or another. Collect your buyout money and move on.

Curious how y'all feel about your S&C coach(es)? Watching the game yesterday reminded me a lot of watching a pac12 game. Sure there were bad angles and guys out of place, but there seems to be an epidemic in the pac12 that marathon runners > actual weight training. Did Riley bring that philosophy with him? Some of those missed tackles looked like guys simply lacking the finishing strength that you get from good ol Olympic weight training.

• Fire 1

Curious how y'all feel about your S&C coach(es)? Watching the game yesterday reminded me a lot of watching a pac12 game. Sure there were bad angles and guys out of place, but there seems to be an epidemic in the pac12 that marathon runners > actual weight training. Did Riley bring that philosophy with him? Some of those missed tackles looked like guys simply lacking the finishing strength that you get from good ol Olympic weight training.

Banker said yesterday we need more speed and size on the defensive side of the ball. I thought that news flash was about two years old when the S&C guy Riley brought in and Epley referred to similar things.

Evidently the staff has made zero progress in two years.