teachercd

Bourbon, Whisky and Scotch

teachercd    2,177

For those of you that drink one or all three of them what are your thoughts on the differences?

I don't really drink them straight all that often so I don't really know the differences but I know some of you that post here seem to know a lot about them.

NM11046    1,600

Bourbon for me. It has sweeter, more vanilla/caramel tones vs Scotch which to me lands in 4 categories (Highland, Lowland, Speyside, Islay - each having just a hint/essence of either Citrus, Vanilla, peet etc but not enough to take away the burn).

I think Scotch is a learned taste, and I'm just not quite there yet, even with the really good stuff. And whisky - well, don't need it cuz I've got Bourbon (and when you have Bourbon and Scotch who would choose whiskey?) :-)

Not sure where you live, but there are a lot of places that specialize in one or the other and it's a good evening to go to a tasting and learn about them. You'll get to sample what makes them different and what might be a good fit for your palate. There are a lot of differences between brewers and etc. so tastings are an inexpensive way to hone in on what you might like.

It should also be said that Bourbon is made from corn - so I like to stay loyal.

huKSer    1,322

No expert but

Bourbon has a smokey taste

Scotch is mellow

Whiskey is anti-freeze

This is based on moderate cost varieties. No way I can afford the "good" stuff, but I also avoid the cheapest. On a scale of 1 to 10 I buy in the 3-4 range.

teachercd    2,177

Bourbon for me. It has sweeter, more vanilla/caramel tones vs Scotch which to me lands in 4 categories (Highland, Lowland, Speyside, Islay - each having just a hint/essence of either Citrus, Vanilla, peet etc but not enough to take away the burn).

I think Scotch is a learned taste, and I'm just not quite there yet, even with the really good stuff. And whisky - well, don't need it cuz I've got Bourbon (and when you have Bourbon and Scotch who would choose whiskey?) :-)

Not sure where you live, but there are a lot of places that specialize in one or the other and it's a good evening to go to a tasting and learn about them. You'll get to sample what makes them different and what might be a good fit for your palate. There are a lot of differences between brewers and etc. so tastings are an inexpensive way to hone in on what you might like.

It should also be said that Bourbon is made from corn - so I like to stay loyal.

I have heard that Scotch is a learned taste too. I really think that is true.

teachercd    2,177

I got some Jamison for Xmas.

I do like Wild Turkey, I love the smell of it, I think it has an amazing smell.

NM11046    1,600

I think Jamison falls into the Irish Whisky bucket - don't know much about that.

And Wild Turkey ... is it the 101? I think WT is more of a rye than bourbon.

El Diaco    3,860

I like bourbons and ryes. Also like Jameson and some other Irish whiskeys. Never have been a fan of scotch but Ive only had good scotch once and it didn't overly impress me. Got sh#t face drunk many, many years ago on cheap bar scotch & soda. Just haven't ever had the desire to fix that mistake and give scotch a fair chance.

When I think of "regular" whiskey, I think of Canadian whiskey like CC or Windsor. Not a fan of those. I really like bourbon though. I don't drink whiskey very often but lately, when I do, I've been having either Bulleit Bourbon or Bulleit Rye. Those are both really good and the bottles are pretty cool looking too.

BigRedBuster    6,656

Bourbon is my favorite and has a smoky mellow flavor.

Scotch is drinking turpentine and I've tried to learn to like it several times. Finally realized life is to short to keep trying.

Bourbon is a whisky that is made in the US. Scotch is whisky made in Scotland.

NM11046    1,600

imo yes - but others have also said they think it's smokey - which I don't so it may be a matter of taste.

1995 Redux    4,499

I mostly drink Irish Whiskey on the rocks. Bushmills and Jameson preferably.

Scotch I really like Glenlevit and Chivas Regal.

Bourbon is bourbon to me, no huge preference.

huKSer    1,322

Hmm. I wonder if I can make bourbon by putting a couple of drops of liquid smoke into whiskey?

You can make fake Kahlua by soaking coffee grounds in vodka.

NUance    6,937

Bourbon is usually the sweetest, is that correct?

To me Canadian whiskey tastes the sweetest. I like bourbon better than anything else (currently made). Prefer American blended next. Or maybe Jack Daniels.

ZRod    2,513

I don't really like Canadian whiskies that much (a little too much bite to them for me). I like Jameson, though I rarely drink it straight if it's not a shot (it's similar to Canadian smooth with a nip to it). Never really been a fan of rye, and wild turkey is just disgusting to me.

I'll always love Jack. Because Merica! But it's kinda cheap and has a real sweet, almost bubble gum like taste to me.

Jim Beam is smokey, and spicy. I like it better with cider or Canela (cinnamon tea), very good stuff, and it makes great glazes and sauces too!

Scotch is hit or miss with me. Macallan is ok, Johnny Walker Blue is gross. I had Delmore the other day and it was good. Real smooth, almost an apricot taste, but I was poured a triple and it wasn't so great to finish. That was a little too much...

MLB 51    835

To me Canadian whiskey tastes the sweetest. I like bourbon better than anything else (currently made). Prefer American blended next. Or maybe Jack Daniels.

I can't drink Jack Daniels, it makes me throw up. I can drink all other brands of bourbon except for JD.

I can't drink Jack Daniels, it makes me throw up. I can drink all other brands of bourbon except for JD.

Jack Daniels is not bourbon. Its Tennessee whiskey. Semantics yes, but most here seem to think bourbon is much different than whiskey.

HoustonSker    1

I think scotch is more diverse in flavor versus bourbon/Tennessee whiskey. As NM previously stated, there are different scotch producing regions and this equates to differing flavor profiles - smoky, honey sweet, a mix, and some are finished in former casks that housed rum, sherry, or some other spirit which lends itself to more complex flavor.

I am no expert as I recently got into scotch at the age of 33 and wish I had started sooner. The below link should be helpful for anyone interested in scotch:

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/scotch-whisky101-a-beginners/

I am a Glenmorangie fan myself, a nice single malt for drinking neat at a reasonable price.

Cheers

NUance    6,937

Tin-Cup-Illustration.jpg

Been working on a bottle of this the past few days. First time I've had Tin Cup. It's pretty good!

teachercd    2,177

Tin-Cup-Illustration.jpg

Been working on a bottle of this the past few days. First time I've had Tin Cup. It's pretty good!

Saw that the other day...was thinking about getting it.

GM_Tood    1,409

I like em all. Scotch is what I really enjoy though...especially accompanied with a cigar. Glenlivet, Aberlour, and Macallan are my favorites.

Bourbon? Try Four Roses or Bulleit as both are reasonably priced and imo really good.

If you are in Omaha, keep an eye out for Spirit World, Copa Cabana, or Grane to do tastings for Bourbons or Scotch and give it a try.

And to answer your question, read this:

http://www.realmendrinkwhiskey.com/know-your-whiskey-the-difference-between-bourbon-and-scotch/

NM11046    1,600

Thumbs up on Four Roses or Bulleit (both very smooth) and if you're feeling rich I can recommend Angels Envy.

Enhance89    2,704

I prefer scotch but I haven't really tested bourbon or whiskey. The few times I have had them straight I didn't much enjoy them, and I really don't enjoy the smoky flavors.

I was interested in getting into scotch drinking so I started doing some research and found several people recommending Auchentoshan as a good brand to get started with. It's a 12-year-old single malt and I really enjoy it. Comes in at around $50 a bottle.

For the bourbon/whiskey drinkers out there, any recommendations to start with? Again, I'm not a big fan of smoky flavors in liquor so if you've got any that aren't like that... :thumbs

NM11046    1,600

Makers Mark is a solid, well priced starter that is (imo) more on the sweet side than smokey.

Four Roses is also supposed to appeal to a broad range of palates.

BigRedBuster    6,656

For the bourbon/whiskey drinkers out there, any recommendations to start with? Again, I'm not a big fan of smoky flavors in liquor so if you've got any that aren't like that... :thumbs

I'm pretty much a Jim Beam and Maker's Mark guy and enjoy them on the rocks with just a splash of 7-up.....very small splash.

NUance    6,937

I'm pretty much a Jim Beam and Maker's Mark guy and enjoy them on the rocks with just a splash of 7-up.....very small splash.

Yeah, plain ole Jim Beam is pretty darn good. And even though it's technically not a bourbon, Jack Daniels is pretty good too. It's distilled in the same way as bourbon—but it's bottled in Tennessee rather than Kentucky so it's not a bourbon.

Red Five    2,691

Woodford Reserve is a good everyday bourbon.

I told my wife a few years ago to get me a "nice" bottle of bourbon for father's day each year. A couple of my favorites that I can remember off the top oh my head are Four Roses Single Barrel and Blanton's Single Barrel.

teachercd    2,177

See, I really don't like drinking it straight unless it is just a shot. I just can't seem to enjoy the taste of sipping it

1995 Redux    4,499

See, I really don't like drinking it straight unless it is just a shot. I just can't seem to enjoy the taste of sipping it

It's an aquired taste. I prefer sipping scotch and whiskey over mixed drinks now. Way less filling.

admo    771

Give Chopin Potato Vodka a try. Chilled on ice in a rocks glass. Add a few splashes of cranberry juice, 7up or believe it or not - mountain dew. Chopin is what I keep on my shelf and among my favorite vodkas.

Hendricks Cucumber Gin (I hate all Gin except this one). It's light and refreshing. In a rocks glass, add a slice of cumber on the bottom, add ice, Hendricks and club soda. Try it with Brisquit tacos & charro beans.

As for whiskey, well I am a bourbon man. Can't go wrong with Maker's Mark, Knobb Creek, Bulleit 10 yr. Just love bourbon the most. For whiskey it's irish Jameson.

That's what I have kept stocked on my shelf since 2012. I would like to try Hibiki 12 yr Japanese whisky (they drop the "e" like in scotland). Scotch on occasion on a quiet night out, but is too complicated to for my taste to keep around.

Enhance89    2,704

I was/am the same way. Still getting used to it. I've gone through two bottles of the Auchentoshan since about October and I think it's great for someone like me who didn't enjoy sipping those types of drinks.

BigRedBuster    6,656

I would prefer to not just drink it straight. But, on the rocks allows the coldness of the ice and a little water from the melted ice to make it good.

ColoradoHusk    2,593

This thread just makes me think of the bourbon and soda (water) my parents would have pretty much every night. They would buy giant 1.75 liter jugs of Ancient Age bourbon. My parents would never buy good liquor. They went for volume not quality.

NUance    6,937

This thread just makes me think of the bourbon and soda (water) my parents would have pretty much every night. They would buy giant 1.75 liter jugs of Ancient Age bourbon. My parents would never buy good liquor. They went for volume not quality.

Ha ha! Why, I resemble that remark! When you knock back a 1.75 at a good pace, you can't afford to get the good stuff. I pick up a 1.75 of Kessler every three or four weeks. Probably most people couldn't tell the difference between some of the cheaper blended American whiskies, and the more expensive ones. But once in a while I'll get a 1.75 of Jim Beam (which isn't expensive, but slightly better than Kessler). I also try to keep a couple bottles of decent booze on hand for when guests stop by. :lol:

BigRedBuster    6,656

Have none of you learned the joyous taste of a premium tequila?

Ah...yes. It's much more than just for taking shots at the Side Track.

I prefer Hornitos or Patron as two that are easy to get here.

I've never had Don Julio Tequila but I really like their Rum.

ColoradoHusk    2,593

Hornitos is a good medium-priced tequila that is great tasting for the price. My wife likes to make beer-garitas in the summer time, and I buy Hornitos rather than Jose Cuervo. I have a neighbor that likes to bring out the Patron for tequila shots in the summer time.

I've never had Don Julio either, but I hear advertisements for it on podcasts that I listen to. I might get some this summer when we get back into tequila season.

Tequila is definitely a booze that it hurts to get the cheap stuff. It's awful for shots and it can cause some major gut rot after some mixed drinks.

B.B. Hemingway    1,131

Hornitos is a good medium-priced tequila that is great tasting for the price. My wife likes to make beer-garitas in the summer time, and I buy Hornitos rather than Jose Cuervo. I have a neighbor that likes to bring out the Patron for tequila shots in the summer time.

I've never had Don Julio either, but I hear advertisements for it on podcasts that I listen to. I might get some this summer when we get back into tequila season.

Tequila is definitely a booze that it hurts to get the cheap stuff. It's awful for shots and it can cause some major gut rot after some mixed drinks.

Hornitos is what I buy most often. Don Julio is good stuff, but for the difference in price, it's not that much better than Hornitos. Corralejo is the best I've tasted, but you'll need a Mexican friend to get it back across the border for you :lol: I've never found it in the States.

teachercd    2,177

I can remember in college...getting shitfaced off of Albertson's Tequila...Oh my god! There was a reason it was 3.99 for the bottle.

BigRedBuster    6,656

In college, we used to drink Two Fingers. I'm not sure if that was because it was so good or if we felt reading the "story of two fingers" on the back before drinking it made it that much meaningful.

Red Five    2,691

Since we have branched out the liquor discussion, Havana Club 7 year rum is heaven on earth. When we vacation in Mexico, I pick our resort based on if the carry it.

It needs to hurry up and get to the US.

BigRedBuster    6,656

I met a family once who was fairly wealthy and from Mexico City. I got into a discussion with them about tequila. It was very interesting since I like the stuff so much. They have a completely different appreciation for good tequila than Americans do. Just wish I hadn't drank so much of it that night so I could remember more of what they were teaching me.

rawhide    209

Many bars/families make their own brand of tequila which makes a big difference. I co worker brought me a bottle from where he was borne in Guadalajara whoa, big difference.