Bourbon, Whisky and Scotch

Huge difference between them all and even within each of them. This is a decent guide. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TsT8Sin4dMJdKAJSyCAtTVQc3uRjddl_Q1PmhfjrzjQ/edit

Your main domains of tasty: http://i.imgur.com/9K2O6.jpg

Scotch tends to be the only one that's peaty. Bourbons more in the woody domain. Japanese Whiskey is more floral typically.

It's all a matter of taste. Right now the market on Japanese Whiskey is way over priced.

• 3 weeks later...

Got this as a gift couple months ago and finally got around to opening it tonight. Definitely was a good night for it :).

The peat & smoke are way less forward compared to even the Laphroaig 15 and very balanced. Not at all what I was expecting from Laphroaig. It's an excellent balanced single malt. Definitely one of my favorite Islay Single Malt and a must try.

Laphroaig_18_Year_Old_Single_Malt_Scotch

• 4 months later...

My parents moved and I found a rather old bottle of this. I was told it was going to be more like scotch than bourbon so I was skeptical.

But....I have to say, it was pretty dang good....no.....it was REALLY good. It had to have been in my father's cabinet for 15-20 years.....or longer.

Nice thing is, I think he has a couple more bottles in there.

arrangement-of-glasses-and-bottle-of-bus

How have I not seen this thread!

I like em all. Scotch is what I really enjoy though...especially accompanied with a cigar. Glenlivet, Aberlour, and Macallan are my favorites.

We need to hang. Great choices. Aberlour is what got me really into scotch - so smooth.

Have none of you learned the joyous taste of a premium tequila?

Tres Generaciones is a good sipping tequila. I like the reposado.

tres_generaciones_reposado_organic750__1

• 3 weeks later...

My parents moved and I found a rather old bottle of this. I was told it was going to be more like scotch than bourbon so I was skeptical.

But....I have to say, it was pretty dang good....no.....it was REALLY good. It had to have been in my father's cabinet for 15-20 years.....or longer.

Nice thing is, I think he has a couple more bottles in there.

arrangement-of-glasses-and-bottle-of-bus

Maybe it ages well, I prefer the regular over the black bush.

I have never seen that before. Is it popular as far as you know or was it a bit of a bargain hunt?

Laphroaig is popular among the scotch drinkers I know. It has a very strong peat taste, which I hate but others quite like. I've also heard (but it might be an old husbands' tale) that your taste buds get less sensitive with age, so older people may enjoy stronger flavors that younger people find off-putting. YMMV

• Fire 1

Laphroig is a legit Scotch Whiskey. From the islands and super peety as Red said. An acquired taste for sure, but a costly treat for those who have advanced to it.

I can't handle the peety scotches. It's like licking asphalt.

Agreed, the flavor is one that stands out too much during the initial drink. Then it intensifies as an aftertaste and not in a good way what so ever.

• Fire 1