HuskermanMike

Tracy Claeys Fired

HuskermanMike    330

Per ESPN just saw that he was fired. Minny is now a mess, making that game easier. Doubt Chip Kelly or any big name coach goes there.

What are your thoughts on this?

grandpasknee    1,048

He was fired for expressing support for the ten team members suspended. Now, am I wrong, or did I hear that all charges against those ten were dropped or some such thing? If so, this decision is a huge black mark on the U of Minnesota leadership.

Kiyoat Husker    1,508

He was fired for expressing support for the ten team members suspended. Now, am I wrong, or did I hear that all charges against those ten were dropped or some such thing? If so, this decision is a huge black mark on the U of Minnesota leadership.

The school doesn't require a criminal conviction to suspend the players. Rape is notoriously hard to prosecute. What the school found during their investigation was enough to permanently suspend the players. The county Attorney General described the players behavior as "deplorable" but there was not enough evidence to prosecute. Obviously something bad happened.

Despite all this, many will still side with the players. I'm not sure if I agree with the Claeys firing or not, but I think he was in a no-win situation. He probably should have been harder on the players for their behavior earlier in the season. Instead, he cut short all punishment as soon as the charges were dropped. (think of Riley at Oregon State with the Brenda Tracy situation, for example)

At some point we need to stop repeating history and treat rape as a serious offense for athletes.

VectorVictor    1,986

Not quite as good as Pelini's send off. But not bad

At least he didn't call the whole team together offsite and tell them this? :dunno

Of course, the more important question we should be asking here is if there are any recruits we can poach? :)

a hot mess up north or sure.some of the player statements of it not mattering who the new coach is they wont play is disturbing.another year under Claeys and the goofs were going to be a very tuff team to beat

Red Five    3,591

Claeys was kept from last year after Kill quit because the school didn't have an AD at that time. The new AD was hired around 6 months ago and reportedly never was high on Claeys. He wants his own guy. The incident and boycott gave him the go ahead to fire him.

Bohl would be a perfect fit.

Red Five    3,591

If I were Bohl, I would run as far away from that as possible.

Curious as to why? He would be the ADs hand picked guy so he would get some extra leash if the first couple years are rough.

He already has a built in relationship with the MN HS coaches from his time at NDSU. His style of play matches the current Gopher roster. I mean Bohl fits Minnesota way more than Fleck IMO

BigRedBuster    8,064

Curious as to why? He would be the ADs hand picked guy so he would get some extra leash if the first couple years are rough.

He already has a built in relationship with the MN HS coaches from his time at NDSU. His style of play matches the current Gopher roster. I mean Bohl fits Minnesota way more than Fleck IMO

I believe he could get a better job later. I happen to think he is going to be a pretty hot commodity at some point as a HC. Right now, he would be walking into an absolute dumpster fire in Minnesota that he would have to deal with that could take 2-3 years to work itself out if the players really are as upset as they claim they are.

I could see him staying at Wyoming for several years, having relative success for Wyoming, them moving on to a school the level of Iowa, Wisconsin....maybe even Boise, TCU...etc. Depending on the situations at the time, those places would be much better than Minnesota right now.

I personally would love to see the guy here at Nebraska if he continues to build a decent program at Wyoming. I also could see that not happening due to history.

GSG    5,897

Not planning on still being the Rutgers' OC the next time they play at Minnesota?

That's what I was wondering. Doesn't look like Rutgers is scheduled to play at Minnesota yet. They play in NJ in 2019, but that's the last year they've made schedules for

Red Five    3,591

I believe he could get a better job later. I happen to think he is going to be a pretty hot commodity at some point as a HC. Right now, he would be walking into an absolute dumpster fire in Minnesota that he would have to deal with that could take 2-3 years to work itself out if the players really are as upset as they claim they are.

I could see him staying at Wyoming for several years, having relative success for Wyoming, them moving on to a school the level of Iowa, Wisconsin....maybe even Boise, TCU...etc. Depending on the situations at the time, those places would be much better than Minnesota right now.

I personally would love to see the guy here at Nebraska if he continues to build a decent program at Wyoming. I also could see that not happening due to history.

Bohl is 58. If we wants a (relatively) big job and the payday that comes with it, he needs to strike asap. 60 yo coaches don't climb up the coaching latter too much (yes, I know Riley did).

Red Five    3,591

Fleck worked at NIU under Kill in 2009 . Kill basically brought his whole staff from NIU to Minny (including Claeys) in 2011, so if he has any loyalty to them no way he is touching the MN job.

GSG    5,897

Hmmmm.... That would be an interesting hire

Kiyoat Husker    1,508

Fleck worked at NIU under Kill in 2009 . Kill basically brought his whole staff from NIU to Minny (including Claeys) in 2011, so if he has any loyalty to them no way he is touching the MN job.

He did meet with the AD in Chicago yesterday..... allegedly........

Mavric    10,362

He did meet with the AD in Chicago yesterday..... allegedly........

One "source" thought the deal could be done today.

GSG    5,897

It would be an amazing hire.

I think he's a really good coach, but would he be running the same O at Minny? I kinda hope he would because I love watching it

ColoradoHusk    4,260

It would be an amazing hire.

I think he's a really good coach, but would he be running the same O at Minny? I kinda hope he would because I love watching it

I'm already thinking about the meltdown from RTB Husker fans would have if NU would lose to Minny coached by Niumatalolo.

nic    38

Hearing PJ Fleck and Minny are close to closing....but who knows with today's news cycles. Rumors are fact until proven wrong. :-)

ScottyIce    1,928

That Schmidt guy is saying he will be announced tomorrow...

What does this tell you guys if true? Tells me other bigger programs that just hired coaches must not have reached out to him. Which tells me maybe he isn't that hot of a name?

nic    38

I would pick Fleck over the other options....might hit a home run.

suh_fan93    1,166

SI - Source: Minnesota expected to hire P.J. Fleck as coach

The University of Minnesota is expected to hire P.J. Fleck as its new coach, according to a source. The two sides are working on a deal, which could be finalized as early as Friday morning.

This year, he drew interest from Purdue, Houston and Cincinnati but declined to interview with all of them as he was hoping to pursue a better job. Both Rutgers and Syracuse reached out to Fleck last year, but he declined to pursue those jobs.

2160783-980x.jpg

nic    38

Fleck recruited well at WMU. It will be interesting to see where can take Minnesota.

Red Five    3,591

5 years and $3.5M/year. Minnesota finally playing with the big boys after paying peanuts to Kill and Claeys.

GSG    5,897

Paddle the canoe?

plow the snow

Whack the mole gopher?

teachercd    3,221

What a great hire on paper. If it works, they have a young coach that might very well stay there for 20 years...if it doesn't work...well he is rich!

Red Five    3,591

What a great hire on paper. If it works, they have a young coach that might very well stay there for 20 years...if it doesn't work...well he is rich!

If he's good, he's not staying there for 20 years. This is a stepping stone job for him imo.

nic    38

Fleck will win over the players. He got 6 new commits yesterday alone. All 3 star kids.