Early Predictions for 2017 - Which Games Do We Win

Mavric

2017 Huskers  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My guess is 9&3. I think our offense should improve, but with this being year 1 in a 3-4 defense our D may struggle. We should beat Minnesota and Oregon as they transition to new coaches. OSU will be tough to beat, so there is 1 loss. Wisconsin, Penn State, and Iowa should be close games.I see us winning 1 or2 of these, however could also see us losing a game we should win. On the optimistic side 10&2, pessimistic side 8&4, so average is 9&3. Wild cards will be how good is Tanner Lee, can we stay healthy, and how well do we transition to the 3-4 defense?

Book your tickets now for the Pinstripe Bowl! I'm thinking 6-6, Oregon, Ohio St and Penn St blow us out and we lose close to Wiscy, Northwestern and Iowa. Hope I'm wrong though.

This. Nothing has proven we are better than this nowadays.

Why has nothing proven we are better than this? They beat Oregon and NW last year, so why won't or can't they beat them this year? They lost to Wisconsin on the road in OT so why can't they win this game this year at home? NU lost to Iowa and OSU so be as pessimistic as you want about those two games, though Iowa loses some very good players including their QB. Penn St had a great run last year and every thing fell into place for them, lets see them do it again, until they do that they are a 1 year wonder right now.

Why is it so many Nebraska fans can see so many flaws in their favorite team, but see no flaws in other teams? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

The season next year IMO hinges on getting good consistant QB play. Be it POB or Lee, I think is sounds like it will be Lee. With good QB play this team will be pretty good. I expect all units to be as good or better than last year. The only team that I would pencil in as a loss is OSU and that is just because of the talent difference. I will be fairly dissappointed if they are less than 8-4 and I think 10-2 is closer to right. So they will probably be 9-3.

• Fire 1

Anyone changing their thinking with a new DC?

Yep. I probably would've said 8 wins if the DC change had not been made and if our recruiting class wouldn't have been what it is. But I went with 11 wins. Yeah, yeah, I realize that may be a little optimistic but with all this good news recently I figured WTH YOLO. 9 or 10 wins is probably a lot more realistic but I'm hoping with the right guys for the desired offense and some renewed energy on the D side, maybe we pullout a couple of the games we're accustomed to writing off as loses.

Anyone changing their thinking with a new DC?

Yep. I probably would've said 8 wins if the DC change had not been made and if our recruiting class wouldn't have been what it is. But I went with 11 wins. Yeah, yeah, I realize that may be a little optimistic but with all this good news recently I figured WTH YOLO. 9 or 10 wins is probably a lot more realistic but I'm hoping with the right guys for the desired offense and some renewed energy on the D side, maybe we pullout a couple of the games we're accustomed to writing off as loses.

I'm with you. I'm not sure the win total will be all that different, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say our losses will be easier to stomach.

We'll be breaking in a rookie QB and that will be the main factor determing how things go: I have little reason NOT to expect struggles in this regard.

On paper, we "should" beat ASU, NIU, Rut, ILL, and Purdue. So, there's 5 Ws--hopefully. Other than that, tOSU should be another massive, embarrassing, hemorrhaging blowout loss for us as per massive talent differential and those guys were mostly a team of youngsters last year, which is scary. And, OBTW, that's the game that got Mr. Mark Banker fired, remember? Well, I suppose there's probably not anybody they could fire after the massive blowout nxt year, one would think. We don't have anybody, of significance, left to fire, 'cept the head man himself, and I don't think we're "there" yet, are we?

@ PSU, another sure or nearly sure loss as per BIG QB and RB advantage for them--and about everything else. PSU is for real and very tough to beat @ home, just ask tOSU.

Other than that, I'll play the optimist here--so folks don't yell at me too much-- and figure we scratch out another close 2 wins, say @ Minny and home vs IA. No guarantees there, though.

So, optimistically, I put us @ 7-5.

I think you're tragically negative. You should look for the good in the team instead of dwelling on the bad things.

Might make your fan experience less stressful. Just by the language you use in your posts, it seems like you really have little hope for the Huskers.

Have you ever been exposed to HRO? High Reliability Organization. It is the system that allows the most dangerous and risky operations to go long stretches without failure. And one of the basic tenets of HRO goes completely against what you have just advocated. Basically you have to be constantly aware that failure is an option and will occur if you fail to do "x". Being constantly aware of failure, and nagging about doing what it takes to prevent failure is the surest way to prevent it. So you don't overlook shortcomings or be hopeful or wistful. Hope is not a game plan.

NU has many hurdles for next year, and any wise person would not overlook, underestimate or belittle a single one if you want success.

We'll be breaking in a rookie QB and that will be the main factor determing how things go: I have little reason NOT to expect struggles in this regard.

On paper, we "should" beat ASU, NIU, Rut, ILL, and Purdue. So, there's 5 Ws--hopefully. Other than that, tOSU should be another massive, embarrassing, hemorrhaging blowout loss for us as per massive talent differential and those guys were mostly a team of youngsters last year, which is scary. And, OBTW, that's the game that got Mr. Mark Banker fired, remember? Well, I suppose there's probably not anybody they could fire after the massive blowout nxt year, one would think. We don't have anybody, of significance, left to fire, 'cept the head man himself, and I don't think we're "there" yet, are we?

@ PSU, another sure or nearly sure loss as per BIG QB and RB advantage for them--and about everything else. PSU is for real and very tough to beat @ home, just ask tOSU.

Other than that, I'll play the optimist here--so folks don't yell at me too much-- and figure we scratch out another close 2 wins, say @ Minny and home vs IA. No guarantees there, though.

I think you're tragically negative. You should look for the good in the team instead of dwelling on the bad things.

Might make your fan experience less stressful. Just by the language you use in your posts, it seems like you really have little hope for the Huskers.

Have you ever been exposed to HRO? High Reliability Organization. It is the system that allows the most dangerous and risky operations to go long stretches without failure. And one of the basic tenets of HRO goes completely against what you have just advocated. Basically you have to be constantly aware that failure is an option and will occur if you fail to do "x". Being constantly aware of failure, and nagging about doing what it takes to prevent failure is the surest way to prevent it. So you don't overlook shortcomings or be hopeful or wistful. Hope is not a game plan.

NU has many hurdles for next year, and any wise person would not overlook, underestimate or belittle a single one if you want success.

Well there is another side to that.

If a person wants to remain a fan, maybe it is necessary from time to time to rely on hope and ignore some of the failures or problems.

If I constantly remained at the lowest level of my outlook for Husker football, I'm not sure I could force myself to be interested any longer. Hope is really the only thing we've had to hold onto for 15+ years. My outlook was at an extremely low point after the tOSU and Iowa games this past season and the bowl game only helped confirm that negative outlook. But we fired our underperforming DC, recruited some pretty talented kids and finally will get to see this offense without allowances being made for a QB that honestly was not good at throwing the ball or going through passing progressions. So, there's a choice there, remain negative until on the field results prove otherwise or get your hopes up and start seeing the sunshine. I chose the later. It may not be well founded or even wise but it is necessary for me to avoid being a real jerk or completely losing interest.

Plus, I might add, a fan overlooking, underestimating or belittling anything has absolutely zero effect on the success of the team. We're not coaches or players or directly involved with decisions or preparation. I could say we're going to win all 12, win the CCG and win the playoff and not allow a single point along the way and it wouldn't have any effect at all on what is really going to happen. It might get me committed but it wouldn't make a difference to the teams success.

• Fire 1

Well there is another side to that.

If a person wants to remain a fan, maybe it is necessary from time to time to rely on hope and ignore some of the failures or problems.

If I constantly remained at the lowest level of my outlook for Husker football, I'm not sure I could force myself to be interested any longer. Hope is really the only thing we've had to hold onto for 15+ years. My outlook was at an extremely low point after the tOSU and Iowa games this past season and the bowl game only helped confirm that negative outlook. But we fired our underperforming DC, recruited some pretty talented kids and finally will get to see this offense without allowances being made for a QB that honestly was not good at throwing the ball or going through passing progressions. So, there's a choice there, remain negative until on the field results prove otherwise or get your hopes up and start seeing the sunshine. I chose the later. It may not be well founded or even wise but it is necessary for me to avoid being a real jerk or completely losing interest.

Plus, I might add, a fan overlooking, underestimating or belittling anything has absolutely zero effect on the success of the team. We're not coaches or players or directly involved with decisions or preparation. I could say we're going to win all 12, win the CCG and win the playoff and not allow a single point along the way and it wouldn't have any effect at all on what is really going to happen. It might get me committed but it wouldn't make a difference to the teams success.

Hmmmm, well, as to that "HRO" thing ^, that sounds way too neurotic for me and I'm certainly not going to allow that sort of approach into, say, my sex life.

Next, "hope", yeah, it's a good emotion when things are bleak, it can keep ya going, but we live in a material world and I am a material girl...er, scratch that, what I mean is at some point, say in football, material things need to be addressed so as to improve material circumstances, like say, "horses". Football is really simple, you either have the "horses" or you don't have the "horses", as my dear ol' dad used to say. It's a simple eyeball test, like when we line up vs tOSU or USC, one can immediately observe, "egad", we don't have the 'horses' for this...

So, that is the thrust of my argument, it is neither optimistic or pessimistic, it is purely materialistic: we need "more horses"n better "horses". That is, our recruiting has to improve in a big way and that's the bottom line. No use cryin' over this and that when you just need "more horses".

Also, this is a msg board, so the point is to engage in thoughtful and stimulating discussion, analysis, and debate. All the koolaid colored, delusional Big Red mind voodoo, that is a holdover mental illness from the glory years of Devaney and Oz, really doesn't add anything to the discussion. Exhortations like, "12 and 0" or "national champs" and the like, don't stimulate thought, especially when they have little to do with the current reality of the team. So, I'd appreciate not being bludgeoned over the head with that stuff.

We need more "horses", better "horses", so how do we make that happen? Dadgummit! And "AW SHUCKS!". If the Creighton BJs from lil ol Bugaha can be a top 10 team w the likes of Duke, UNC, and KU, and the NU WVB team can bring home a natty every other year, then how in the HELL does NEBRASKA FOOTBALL spend a Trumpian fortune on it's project and end up rated 30th every every year?! It's not right! And it's not fair! And I dare say it's un-American!

GET THOSE HORSES!!!

Ummm, so yeah....Creighton isn't a top 10 team anymore. If you do recall, Nebraska's football team was also ranked in the top 10 last year at one point. Not sure where you're going with the last paragraph. It's pretty well documented in multiple places why Nebraska struggles to achieve top 15 recruiting classes.

@ TheBigNebrowski

I like your input and the logic you are bringing to the board. I don't view it as negative. Do note, I'm a realist. I liked your word "materialistic", that fits with what I see as well.

I was a fan who absorbed the red koolaid here for my first 6-7 years. Now, I find my views are more realistic and can come across negative by folks here so I do more reading then posting.

Any way, just wanted to express my enjoyment of reading your thoughts.