Early Predictions for 2017 - Which Games Do We Win

Mavric

2017 Huskers  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We'll be breaking in a rookie QB and that will be the main factor determing how things go: I have little reason NOT to expect struggles in this regard.

On paper, we "should" beat ASU, NIU, Rut, ILL, and Purdue. So, there's 5 Ws--hopefully. Other than that, tOSU should be another massive, embarrassing, hemorrhaging blowout loss for us as per massive talent differential and those guys were mostly a team of youngsters last year, which is scary. And, OBTW, that's the game that got Mr. Mark Banker fired, remember? Well, I suppose there's probably not anybody they could fire after the massive blowout nxt year, one would think. We don't have anybody, of significance, left to fire, 'cept the head man himself, and I don't think we're "there" yet, are we?

@ PSU, another sure or nearly sure loss as per BIG QB and RB advantage for them--and about everything else. PSU is for real and very tough to beat @ home, just ask tOSU.

Other than that, I'll play the optimist here--so folks don't yell at me too much-- and figure we scratch out another close 2 wins, say @ Minny and home vs IA. No guarantees there, though.

So, optimistically, I put us @ 7-5.

I think you're tragically negative. You should look for the good in the team instead of dwelling on the bad things.

Might make your fan experience less stressful. Just by the language you use in your posts, it seems like you really have little hope for the Huskers.

Have you ever been exposed to HRO? High Reliability Organization. It is the system that allows the most dangerous and risky operations to go long stretches without failure. And one of the basic tenets of HRO goes completely against what you have just advocated. Basically you have to be constantly aware that failure is an option and will occur if you fail to do "x". Being constantly aware of failure, and nagging about doing what it takes to prevent failure is the surest way to prevent it. So you don't overlook shortcomings or be hopeful or wistful. Hope is not a game plan.

NU has many hurdles for next year, and any wise person would not overlook, underestimate or belittle a single one if you want success.

Well there is another side to that.

If a person wants to remain a fan, maybe it is necessary from time to time to rely on hope and ignore some of the failures or problems.

If I constantly remained at the lowest level of my outlook for Husker football, I'm not sure I could force myself to be interested any longer. Hope is really the only thing we've had to hold onto for 15+ years. My outlook was at an extremely low point after the tOSU and Iowa games this past season and the bowl game only helped confirm that negative outlook. But we fired our underperforming DC, recruited some pretty talented kids and finally will get to see this offense without allowances being made for a QB that honestly was not good at throwing the ball or going through passing progressions. So, there's a choice there, remain negative until on the field results prove otherwise or get your hopes up and start seeing the sunshine. I chose the later. It may not be well founded or even wise but it is necessary for me to avoid being a real jerk or completely losing interest.

Plus, I might add, a fan overlooking, underestimating or belittling anything has absolutely zero effect on the success of the team. We're not coaches or players or directly involved with decisions or preparation. I could say we're going to win all 12, win the CCG and win the playoff and not allow a single point along the way and it wouldn't have any effect at all on what is really going to happen. It might get me committed but it wouldn't make a difference to the teams success.

Hmmmm, well, as to that "HRO" thing ^, that sounds way too neurotic for me and I'm certainly not going to allow that sort of approach into, say, my sex life.

Next, "hope", yeah, it's a good emotion when things are bleak, it can keep ya going, but we live in a material world and I am a material girl...er, scratch that, what I mean is at some point, say in football, material things need to be addressed so as to improve material circumstances, like say, "horses". Football is really simple, you either have the "horses" or you don't have the "horses", as my dear ol' dad used to say. It's a simple eyeball test, like when we line up vs tOSU or USC, one can immediately observe, "egad", we don't have the 'horses' for this...

So, that is the thrust of my argument, it is neither optimistic or pessimistic, it is purely materialistic: we need "more horses"n better "horses". That is, our recruiting has to improve in a big way and that's the bottom line. No use cryin' over this and that when you just need "more horses".

Also, this is a msg board, so the point is to engage in thoughtful and stimulating discussion, analysis, and debate. All the koolaid colored, delusional Big Red mind voodoo, that is a holdover mental illness from the glory years of Devaney and Oz, really doesn't add anything to the discussion. Exhortations like, "12 and 0" or "national champs" and the like, don't stimulate thought, especially when they have little to do with the current reality of the team. So, I'd appreciate not being bludgeoned over the head with that stuff.

We need more "horses", better "horses", so how do we make that happen? Dadgummit! And "AW SHUCKS!". If the Creighton BJs from lil ol Bugaha can be a top 10 team w the likes of Duke, UNC, and KU, and the NU WVB team can bring home a natty every other year, then how in the HELL does NEBRASKA FOOTBALL spend a Trumpian fortune on it's project and end up rated 30th every every year?! It's not right! And it's not fair! And I dare say it's un-American!

GET THOSE HORSES!!!

Simple response, we are working on just that.

Secondly, you're new here, but if you don't want to read Kool-Aid perspective you won't like it here. Likewise if you also don't like the uber pessimistic approach that constantly predicts 5-7 or 4-8 etc. There are multiple personalities here and it's nice that way. If we all had the same train of thought this place would suck, I just hope you don't expect everyone to concede because of your arrival.

Ummm, so yeah....Creighton isn't a top 10 team anymore. If you do recall, Nebraska's football team was also ranked in the top 10 last year at one point. Not sure where you're going with the last paragraph. It's pretty well documented in multiple places why Nebraska struggles to achieve top 15 recruiting classes.

Well, me thinks the CU BJs got "jobbed" a bit by the pollsters as w 2 losses, one to #1 Villanova(at the time #1), they climbed to #7, THEN they lose to Geotown, I think, and ok they lose by 20, and blamo, they get dropped FIFTEEN spots in the polls and they still had a better record than some of the teams that jumped 'em. So, maybe they aren't, like the Husker's weren't, a top 10 team to start with OR the pollsters were/are WHACK. Take yer pick.

Big Red, barely getting by mediocre competition, went from 22 to 15 in 1 week which was a ridiculous jump, then 12, then 9 the 8--and everybody outside the NE bubble and some within knew it was a fraud ranking, then blamo they lose a respectable match @ Wiscy, drop 1 spot then, blamo, they get decimated by a YOUNG tOSU team and realitay asserts itself and it was over from there. Even if TA hadn't gotten injured, it's not so clear if GBR wouldn't have lost the last 2 games they lost.

Now, I for one, didn't think tOSU was an athletically 59 pt better team than us and I kind of hang that one on the coaches, Banker, as the D was completely lost the whole game and stopped NOTHING. But I don't think we were ever a top 10 team either way, best case scenario maybe 15 or so. At this point, it's rather moot.

My contrasting CU and WVB and GBR FB is fairly clear as to the point I'm making.

We'll be breaking in a rookie QB and that will be the main factor determing how things go: I have little reason NOT to expect struggles in this regard.

On paper, we "should" beat ASU, NIU, Rut, ILL, and Purdue. So, there's 5 Ws--hopefully. Other than that, tOSU should be another massive, embarrassing, hemorrhaging blowout loss for us as per massive talent differential and those guys were mostly a team of youngsters last year, which is scary. And, OBTW, that's the game that got Mr. Mark Banker fired, remember? Well, I suppose there's probably not anybody they could fire after the massive blowout nxt year, one would think. We don't have anybody, of significance, left to fire, 'cept the head man himself, and I don't think we're "there" yet, are we?

@ PSU, another sure or nearly sure loss as per BIG QB and RB advantage for them--and about everything else. PSU is for real and very tough to beat @ home, just ask tOSU.

Other than that, I'll play the optimist here--so folks don't yell at me too much-- and figure we scratch out another close 2 wins, say @ Minny and home vs IA. No guarantees there, though.

I think you're tragically negative. You should look for the good in the team instead of dwelling on the bad things.

Might make your fan experience less stressful. Just by the language you use in your posts, it seems like you really have little hope for the Huskers.

Have you ever been exposed to HRO? High Reliability Organization. It is the system that allows the most dangerous and risky operations to go long stretches without failure. And one of the basic tenets of HRO goes completely against what you have just advocated. Basically you have to be constantly aware that failure is an option and will occur if you fail to do "x". Being constantly aware of failure, and nagging about doing what it takes to prevent failure is the surest way to prevent it. So you don't overlook shortcomings or be hopeful or wistful. Hope is not a game plan.

NU has many hurdles for next year, and any wise person would not overlook, underestimate or belittle a single one if you want success.

If a person wants to remain a fan, maybe it is necessary from time to time to rely on hope and ignore some of the failures or problems.

If I constantly remained at the lowest level of my outlook for Husker football, I'm not sure I could force myself to be interested any longer. Hope is really the only thing we've had to hold onto for 15+ years. My outlook was at an extremely low point after the tOSU and Iowa games this past season and the bowl game only helped confirm that negative outlook. But we fired our underperforming DC, recruited some pretty talented kids and finally will get to see this offense without allowances being made for a QB that honestly was not good at throwing the ball or going through passing progressions. So, there's a choice there, remain negative until on the field results prove otherwise or get your hopes up and start seeing the sunshine. I chose the later. It may not be well founded or even wise but it is necessary for me to avoid being a real jerk or completely losing interest.

Plus, I might add, a fan overlooking, underestimating or belittling anything has absolutely zero effect on the success of the team. We're not coaches or players or directly involved with decisions or preparation. I could say we're going to win all 12, win the CCG and win the playoff and not allow a single point along the way and it wouldn't have any effect at all on what is really going to happen. It might get me committed but it wouldn't make a difference to the teams success.

Hmmmm, well, as to that "HRO" thing ^, that sounds way too neurotic for me and I'm certainly not going to allow that sort of approach into, say, my sex life.

Next, "hope", yeah, it's a good emotion when things are bleak, it can keep ya going, but we live in a material world and I am a material girl...er, scratch that, what I mean is at some point, say in football, material things need to be addressed so as to improve material circumstances, like say, "horses". Football is really simple, you either have the "horses" or you don't have the "horses", as my dear ol' dad used to say. It's a simple eyeball test, like when we line up vs tOSU or USC, one can immediately observe, "egad", we don't have the 'horses' for this...

So, that is the thrust of my argument, it is neither optimistic or pessimistic, it is purely materialistic: we need "more horses"n better "horses". That is, our recruiting has to improve in a big way and that's the bottom line. No use cryin' over this and that when you just need "more horses".

Also, this is a msg board, so the point is to engage in thoughtful and stimulating discussion, analysis, and debate. All the koolaid colored, delusional Big Red mind voodoo, that is a holdover mental illness from the glory years of Devaney and Oz, really doesn't add anything to the discussion. Exhortations like, "12 and 0" or "national champs" and the like, don't stimulate thought, especially when they have little to do with the current reality of the team. So, I'd appreciate not being bludgeoned over the head with that stuff.

We need more "horses", better "horses", so how do we make that happen? Dadgummit! And "AW SHUCKS!". If the Creighton BJs from lil ol Bugaha can be a top 10 team w the likes of Duke, UNC, and KU, and the NU WVB team can bring home a natty every other year, then how in the HELL does NEBRASKA FOOTBALL spend a Trumpian fortune on it's project and end up rated 30th every every year?! It's not right! And it's not fair! And I dare say it's un-American!

GET THOSE HORSES!!!

Can't be worried about that sh#t. Life goes on, man.

GET THOSE HORSES!!!

Simple response, we are working on just that.

Secondly, you're new here, but if you don't want to read Kool-Aid perspective you won't like it here. Likewise if you also don't like the uber pessimistic approach that constantly predicts 5-7 or 4-8 etc. There are multiple personalities here and it's nice that way. If we all had the same train of thought this place would suck, I just hope you don't expect everyone to concede because of your arrival.

Yeah, we got a few horses in this class and maybe some already in the stable, maybe a true difference maker in the likes of Tyjon and Gebbia, or POB. We'll have to see.

Just need more of 'em is all and if you look at at @ the way Bama and tOSU and FSU, etc, have been hoarding up horses, well we need A LOT more just to get back in the conversation.

As to the Uber Koolaiders, as long as they don't bludgeon and gang up and attack me with, er, koolaid and blinding wacked out sunshine bolts, I think I can deal w it.

Hey, I give us 7 Ws next yr which I think is realistic. Now, if the rookie QB, whichever one, comes in and lights it up, maybe we get 9 wins and everybody's more or less "happy".

It's a little difficult to pick the record with so many new pieces in place for next season. I ended up with 9-3 but felt strongly about 8-4 as well. I have a strong sense that we finally take Wisconsin in a close one this year at home, and get back at Iowa after Turkey Day.

@ TheBigNebrowski

I like your input and the logic you are bringing to the board. I don't view it as negative. Do note, I'm a realist. I liked your word "materialistic", that fits with what I see as well.

I was a fan who absorbed the red koolaid here for my first 6-7 years. Now, I find my views are more realistic and can come across negative by folks here so I do more reading then posting.

Any way, just wanted to express my enjoyment of reading your thoughts.

MR. BigRedN, why, thanks for the kudos, Sir, I very much appreciate it. I think I have noted some of your clear headed, realist posts as well, which are always a breath of fresh air.

But don't get me wrong, the koolaid, I get it, I had the disease for decades dating back to Johnny the Jet, who, I repeat, I did see live and in person work his magic in Memorial Stadium more than once.

But age caught up with me in a lot of ways and maybe the best thing about bein' old is, if ou been paying attention at all, things GET REAL, the bullsh#t don't stick no more, and that my friend, is what they call "FREEDOM"!

I think fans would save themselves a lot of anguish and heartache if, minimally, they would stop thinking we're going to win a CC and Natty anytime in the near future and realize that maybe we aren't that team right now. Just root for 'em and enjoy the game and stop worrying bout championships or losses right now.

If we get on a roll, great, but it's just plain crazy to have a heart attack over DONU in this ongoing period of "transition": the "transition" may not end before the Devil knows yer dead and that's no way for a grown man or woman to live.

Anyhoo, thanks again, I really appreciate the feedback!

Ummm, so yeah....Creighton isn't a top 10 team anymore. If you do recall, Nebraska's football team was also ranked in the top 10 last year at one point. Not sure where you're going with the last paragraph. It's pretty well documented in multiple places why Nebraska struggles to achieve top 15 recruiting classes.

Well, me thinks the CU BJs got "jobbed" a bit by the pollsters as w 2 losses, one to #1 Villanova(at the time #1), they climbed to #7, THEN they lose to Geotown, I think, and ok they lose by 20, and blamo, they get dropped FIFTEEN spots in the polls and they still had a better record than some of the teams that jumped 'em. So, maybe they aren't, like the Husker's weren't, a top 10 team to start with OR the pollsters were/are WHACK. Take yer pick.

Big Red, barely getting by mediocre competition, went from 22 to 15 in 1 week which was a ridiculous jump, then 12, then 9 the 8--and everybody outside the NE bubble and some within knew it was a fraud ranking, then blamo they lose a respectable match @ Wiscy, drop 1 spot then, blamo, they get decimated by a YOUNG tOSU team and realitay asserts itself and it was over from there. Even if TA hadn't gotten injured, it's not so clear if GBR wouldn't have lost the last 2 games they lost.

Now, I for one, didn't think tOSU was an athletically 59 pt better team than us and I kind of hang that one on the coaches, Banker, as the D was completely lost the whole game and stopped NOTHING. But I don't think we were ever a top 10 team either way, best case scenario maybe 15 or so. At this point, it's rather moot.

My contrasting CU and WVB and GBR FB is fairly clear as to the point I'm making.

Creighton's drop was a little steep but justified given that their starting PG and heart and soul of the team tore his ACL.

Your point comparing the 3 teams isn't even remotely clear. Mostly because your speaking in yarns and whimsical half speak. Which formerly banned poster are you again anyway?

Regardless, this is a pointless discussion.

It's a little difficult to pick the record with so many new pieces in place for next season. I ended up with 9-3 but felt strongly about 8-4 as well. I have a strong sense that we finally take Wisconsin in a close one this year at home, and get back at Iowa after Turkey Day.

I think it's difficult, especially for the older fans that were alive in the glory years, to imagine and predict NE winning fewer than 9 games. It's a psychological thing, a conditioning of the BR "Nation": one looks at the schedule and the mind gets tricky and cannot rest until it gerrymanders a way that we will definitely win at least 9 games. The psychology of the "Nation" can live w that.

But just for fun, maybe try to look at it like a cold blooded scientist, each game, and say "what one really thinks/observes"--if nothing else, it can be good for the brain, like exercise.

OR, just tell me to "FACKOFF!", lol!

I think it's difficult, especially for the older fans that were alive in the glory years, to imagine and predict NE winning fewer than 9 games. It's a psychological thing, a conditioning of the BR "Nation": one looks at the schedule and the mind gets tricky and cannot rest until it gerrymanders a way that we will definitely win at least 9 games. The psychology of the "Nation" can live w that.

But just for fun, maybe try to look at it like a cold blooded scientist, each game, and say "what one really thinks/observes"--if nothing else, it can be good for the brain, like exercise.

LOL I would never tell you to do that! Unless you spelled it right :ph34r:

Well there are six games that should be a given (for wins). That leaves six more that the Huskers are going to have to bring their "A-game" so to speak. How does it turn out? 3-3? 2-4? etc, etc.. :dunno It's tough to say at this point until Spring practices.

LOL I would never tell you to do that! Unless you spelled it right :ph34r:

Well there are six games that should be a given (for wins). That leaves six more that the Huskers are going to have to bring their "A-game" so to speak. How does it turn out? 3-3? 2-4? etc, etc.. :dunno It's tough to say at this point until Spring practices.

I would nvr want to be accused of being "profane", there are religious people on this board, hence the spelling.

My main deal with nxt year's lineup, is I look @ Purdue and ILL and I just can't help but getting this nagging feeling that, "oh wait, we've struggled with both those teams the last 2 years, and, oh wait again, we went 0.500 with each the last two years.". And that was with TA. This year we have a green QB and so who knows what turrible ugly things could happen?

But in the balance, I put us @ 7-5, no really, I think that's doable, lol, and if we're lucky, we'll draw a slow, beatable team in the bowl!

I only have four (4) games as "given". :-)

Hmmmm, that's 2 more than me which makes YOU, Sir, an "optimist".

Lemme see, I say NIU and Rutgers are the only 2 gimmes. But the good news is I only have one absolute sure thing loss and that is tOSU--and it will be an ugly, Armaggedon style event, so bring some protection--and maybe a Bible.

Back to bowl games. You know what, what I want more than anything is to have a bowl game where we don't play another, for the upteenth time, one o' them STUPID, fast, more athletic, STUPID, spoiled Southern teams, whether they be the STUPID SEC or that STUPID USC Trojans, and we don't have the "horses" and get down by 20 early and spend the rest of the time trying to stage some dramatic comeback that falls just short in the end. Dagnabbit, I'm tired of that movie! Just once, for a bowl, I wanna have FUN and play some slow, clearly lesser northen team, like say, oh I dunno, uuhh, well crap, I was going to say WYO but they're already rated above us. Hmmmm, maybe Ohia, or something, but you get the picture. I just wanna no stress, blowout bowl, just once, then we can go back to the "movie".

I hear ya cluckin... but sometimes an organization makes it hard on their fans. Take the Chargers for example. Good ol' bolts. First get rid of Brees and keep Phil. OK (who has the super bowl ring NOW). Had a hard time with that one. Then let Shottenheimer go after 14 win season... lost me forever. Now going to LA? Nothing like a big middle digit to your town after 50 years! It is possible for a team to lose fans. Unless you are just Okay with whatever. I just dont understand that.

And I dont understand how a team like Nebraska can be run into the dirt like these last few guys have done over the last 15 years.

It is like taking a Ferrari and repeatedly driving it into a cinder block wall until it cant even track straight enough to keep up with the Impalas

I hear ya cluckin... but sometimes an organization makes it hard on their fans. Take the Chargers for example. Good ol' bolts. First get rid of Brees and keep Phil. OK (who has the super bowl ring NOW). Had a hard time with that one. Then let Shottenheimer go after 14 win season... lost me forever. Now going to LA? Nothing like a big middle digit to your town after 50 years! It is possible for a team to lose fans. Unless you are just Okay with whatever. I just dont understand that.

And I dont understand how a team like Nebraska can be run into the dirt like these last few guys have done over the last 15 years.

It is like taking a Ferrari and repeatedly driving it into a cinder block wall until it cant even track straight enough to keep up with the Impalas

I love your imagery, you have talent, my friend!

Bolts, yeah bad, not right. It's all about the bottom line for those money grubbing, prick owners, after they've raped your town for tax subsidies, of course.

Well, try bein' a Bears fan, omfg, why, after all these decades, do I bother? Well, I fell in love with Gale Sayers and Butkis, and their classic unis, and just can't quit them no matter how many ways they invent to lose a game. Good news is they probably can't ever leave the Windy City cuz Chi Town Fan would blow up their busses if they tried it.

Last year many of my friends were pessimistic. We exceeded many expectations. Disappointing in the end though. I think/hope we go 9-3. A win over whisky and Iowa is my homer prediction to get us there.

.........You would think with the exodus of good coaches at Wisconsin that it will finally bite them in the a$$ where we will prevail.