Mavric

247: Five Sleeping Giants Who Could Have a Clemson-like Awakening

Mavric    8,047

5. NEBRASKA

The lack of a built-in recruiting base makes this inclusion a bit of a reach, admittedly. A staff would have to be dynamic nationally to bring in talent to again push Nebraska toward the top of the sport. Coaches are unsure whether Mike Riley and this staff can do that, though Riley has long understood the need for a national recruiting emphasis, going back to Oregon State.

On the plus side for Nebraska, the brand still remains strong, the internal and external support is as solid as ever and it’s in the right division in the Big Ten. Wisconsin and Iowa are not easy outs, but you’d prefer to see them in your path instead of Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State.

Georgia, Texas A&M, UCLA and Miami are the others

B.B. Hemingway    1,131

Nice to see that the rest of the world hasn't completely given up on us.... If you just read articles from the local guys you'd think we were destined for eternal mediocrity.

Elf    578

Nice to see that the rest of the world hasn't completely given up on us.... If you just read articles from the local guys you'd think we were destined for eternal mediocrity.

If you just read this board...

NUance    6,937

I sure like to see us included in this conversation. But we are in a totally different situation than the other four. We might have a better combination of support (e.g., sellouts and fan loyalty) and facilities than any of the other four. Might. We definitely have a tougher time recruiting than another of the other four. That said, it's time to wake up the Big Red sleeping giant. GBR!

TonyStalloni    499

The rest of the world doesn't know us as well as we do. We can't possibly have that much potential! :sarcasm

lo country    1,618

Last night, listening to Dabo and the team speak of the win, they talked about one common and shared vision. It was they were all part of something bigger. Something that had been started when Dabo was hired. A concept of being United. A concept and culture of winning. Identifying and representing with those who laid the foundation and those who will come after.

Dabo developed, cultivated and maintained "it". The guy is a phenomenal coach, recruiter and motivator. The staff can develop talent and adjust in game.

Do we have that at NU. A mindset of #allin......... Peter and Wistrom had unfinished business. No self promoting slogans. Simply a unified team, with a unified purpose pulling in the same direction.....

Maybe with all the rumors of selfish play, not buying in, leadership issues etc NU can find it. It sure as hell won't hurt

Hunter94    445

Last night, listening to Dabo and the team speak of the win, they talked about one common and shared vision. It was they were all part of something bigger. Something that had been started when Dabo was hired. A concept of being United. A concept and culture of winning. Identifying and representing with those who laid the foundation and those who will come after.

Dabo developed, cultivated and maintained "it". The guy is a phenomenal coach, recruiter and motivator. The staff can develop talent and adjust in game.

Do we have that at NU. A mindset of #allin......... Peter and Wistrom had unfinished business. No self promoting slogans. Simply a unified team, with a unified purpose pulling in the same direction.....

Maybe with all the rumors of selfish play, not buying in, leadership issues etc NU can find it. It sure as hell won't hurt

it starts with the coach, leading by example........not sure of our direction at this point?

Savage Husker    518

It's easy for people like Foreman, Peter, Benning, the championship run players to speak about what it takes. They played through the heyday and they're not wrong about their opinions, but Boulware said after the game, it was Watkins, the Boyd's, and the other table setters who paved the way for this Clemson team to eat. Hope we have the coaches and players are the same page going forward to build that foundation and take it further.

Xmas32    113

That's it national writers...need some clicks once the slow season. Whaddya say boys, time for the annual let's make Nebraska great again article...those Christmas credit card bills aren't going to pay themselves!

1995 Redux    4,499

I wouldn't exactly consider us a sleeping gia t right now.

I remember Clemson being called a sleeping giant multiple times over the last 10 or so years. That finally came to fruition last night.

No time in the last 10 years have we entered that realm. Closest we got was in 2010 when we reached #5 after a 5-0 start only to lose to one of the worst Texas teams in history, because Texas.

Sleeping giant? More like comatose average height guy.

Thanks_Tom RR    2,185

Husker football achieved higher heights than almost any other program. Unfortunately, as a result, it appears we developed some severe vertigo.

3rd and long    124

If you just read this board...

If you've just watched us play the last few years.........

skers44    60

It won't happen this year, and for sure not in 2018 (Have you seen the schedule?!?!?) 2019 I think is a big shot for us

Igetbored216    172

Going to need to recruit and develop players a lot better to awaken. It didn't happen with the last staff, and it isn't looking too promising with the current staff.

Coach Power'T    1,246

Neither opinion makes the other untrue.

Coach Power'T    1,246

Listening to Ben Boulware talk about and thanking those before him for laying the foundation and all that gave me chills. Clemson will be good for a long time with that kind of leadership.

I got chills last night relaying that message to my wrestling team. So cool for student athletes to recognize those that went before them and embrace it as super important.

Red Five    2,691

It is impressive to think that Clemson is a TD away from going back to back.

And also a missed NC St field goal away from missing the playoff this year

Red Five    2,691

Clemson recruiting rankings from 2010 to 2016: 28 10 15 15 17 9 11

Looks like they broke that string of teams having a top 5 class before winning the Natty

Undone    334

Looks like they broke that string of teams having a top 5 class before winning the Natty

That really is a pretty amazing stat, and should be very encouraging to Husker Nation.

Michigan and Ohio State showed how beatable they are this season. Not by us, so much...but still. If our offensive and defensive line play improves significantly this next season we would probably be the best team in the West and would be set up to end the conference title drought. How likely that actually is that the play at those positions improves significantly? It's really hard to say.

Undone    334

I'd revise your statement Redux to say, 'Kinda proves that it doesn't necessarily take Top 5 recruiting at all to win a title.' I think that's actually the main takeaway from the stat.

Red Five    2,691

Kinda proves that it takes not only recruiting, but team chemistry, staff consistency, luck and timing.

And getting a money QB. And a killer D

Nebfanatic    551

Kinda proves that it takes not only recruiting, but team chemistry, staff consistency, luck and timing.

Not exactly seeing the killer D until there is some upgrades on the DL, but the money QB may be on campus!

Igetbored216    172

I would take every one of their d-linemen in a heartbeat. Probably most of their linebackers too.

junior4949    384

I'd revise your statement Redux to say, 'Kinda proves that it doesn't necessarily take Top 5 recruiting at all to win a title.' I think that's actually the main takeaway from the stat.

A poster who doesn't seem to post here any longer has been saying this all season long. I believe he said something along the lines of there being very little difference between the #1-#15 recruiting classes. It seems to me that more than anything it takes one if not a couple special players. Clemson had that in their QB. It's probably why Watson was ranked the #1 QB recruit by ESPN. Clemson won this year by scoring a lot of points. Even in their loss to Pitt, they scored 42 points. It will be very interesting how Clemson does next year after their once in a generation QB is on a NFL sideline and outstanding LB Boulware.

I would take every one of their d-linemen in a heartbeat. Probably most of their linebackers too.

A great d-line usual equates to stud linebackers. Its easy to fly around and make tackles when the o-line are occupied

Undone    334

A poster who doesn't seem to post here any longer has been saying this all season long. I believe he said something along the lines of there being very little difference between the #1-#15 recruiting classes. It seems to me that more than anything it takes one if not a couple special players. Clemson had that in their QB. It's probably why Watson was ranked the #1 QB recruit by ESPN. Clemson won this year by scoring a lot of points. Even in their loss to Pitt, they scored 42 points. It will be very interesting how Clemson does next year after their once in a generation QB is on a NFL sideline and outstanding LB Boulware.

I can't disagree with any of what you said.

However, I wouldn't use it as an asterisk on the statement that Clemson did in fact win a national championship without going better than 9th in the last seven recruiting classes. I feel like it's a pretty important stat and does actually have some parallels to our situation.

BigRedN    201

I'd like to add that in the Clemson ranking my guess is outside of Watson, that their OL's and DL's hit on better recruits and panned out far better then our team. Our fan based always seems to just look at the recruiting ranking rather then how well we are recruiting our lines and developing that talent.

BigRedBuster    6,656

I'd like to add that in the Clemson ranking my guess is outside of Watson, that their OL's and DL's hit on better recruits and panned out far better then our team. Our fan based always seems to just look at the recruiting ranking rather then how well we are recruiting our lines and developing that talent.

Hmmmm.....seems like that's a pretty heavily discussed topic here.

zoogs    5,653

As good as Clemson is overall, where are they without their money QB? Maybe top 15? A forgotten team that could have easily dropped a median of 3 games this year and been relegated to some decent-ish bowl?

BigRedN    201

Hmmmm.....seems like that's a pretty heavily discussed topic here.

BigRedBuster, the argument in this thread is that there is hope for us because look at the recruiting rankings for Clemson. Thus, just making the necessary point that a stud QB and good recruiting on the lines are more important then the numbers on the rankings and the development of those players. Yes, talked about in other threads. Not really mentioned after the Clemson recruiting rankibgs post. Just adding in thoughts.

Igetbored216    172

As good as Clemson is overall, where are they without their money QB? Maybe top 15? A forgotten team that could have easily dropped a median of 3 games this year and been relegated to some decent-ish bowl?

Soooooo, we're arbitrarily taking away players now?

zoogs    5,653

Just trying to point out what it is that separates a season like Clemson's playoff run versus a #15ish finish that ends in disappointment and question marks.

B.B. Hemingway    1,131

Neither opinion makes the other untrue.

I suppose not, but a little balance from some of our local journalists would be nice. A few of them (Lee, and Dirk to name two) err on the side of despair when it comes to Nebraska Football. The challenge that Nebraska faces, in their opinions, is insurmountable, and they can't wait to remind us all of that.....

Pedro Guerrero    258

Since 2011 Clemsons QBs have completed 68% of their passes compared to Nebraskas 57%. They also had over 70 more TDs but only 3 more INTs (I believe it was with over 700 more attempts). If Nebraska QBs completed 10% more of their passes and cutback on the INTs we would have won more games IMO

Better QB play = more wins

Hoosker    708

Since 2011 Clemsons QBs have completed 68% of their passes compared to Nebraskas 57%. They also had over 70 more TDs but only 3 more INTs (I believe it was with over 700 more attempts). If Nebraska QBs completed 10% more of their passes and cutback on the INTs we would have won more games IMO

It's true. Many people are quick to point to running the football, which is obviously important in it's own right, but our recent QB play should not be overlooked.

I'm interested to see how high the ceiling actually is for Riley's offense in Lincoln.

I think now, more than ever, improved completion % and TD/INT ratio should be demanded from whoever starts at QB. Given our recent track record, that shouldn't be asking too much.

B.B. Hemingway    1,131

wibd.gif

junior4949    384

I can't disagree with any of what you said.

However, I wouldn't use it as an asterisk on the statement that Clemson did in fact win a national championship without going better than 9th in the last seven recruiting classes. I feel like it's a pretty important stat and does actually have some parallels to our situation.

Does that really matter if we agree there's very little difference between a #1 and #15 recruiting class? All I'm saying is that for us to become competitive we need to have a top 15 recruiting class probably at least two out of every five recruiting classes.

There are times I think people forget just how close we were. If we would have had a Suh back in 01', Solich might still be here today. If we would have had a Crouch in 09', Bo might still be here. People can pi$$ and moan all they want about the past 15 or so years, but to me we've had some pretty good season with some very exciting players to watch. Clemson had two pretty special players with one being on the offense and the other the defense. We've had one or the other at times, but it has been quite a while since we had both. A couple of top 15 recruiting classes every five years which sure help the odds.

junior4949    384

Just trying to point out what it is that separates a season like Clemson's playoff run versus a #15ish finish that ends in disappointment and question marks.

I'm sure many will disagree, but the same can be said about us during the run. If you take Frazier away, TO probably retires without ever winning a NC. Frazier brought in the needed leadership and swagger that we had been missing all those years. Many will say we win in 95' without Frazier, but it was Frazier's leadership, guts, and never lose mentality from years before that molded that team. It was never about Frazier athletically. It was always his mental toughness.

In order to compete with the likes of a Bama, it takes special players. With special players, it really doesn't matter if they're lined up against several #1 recruiting classes of players. The 94' season bowl against Miami proved this along with the shellacking we handed CU the same year with what six or seven first round draft picks.

zoogs    5,653

Yeah, I really agree with that. Well said. Results dominate narrative and one play can shape not just an entire season, but the stories of coaches' and players' careers. So a lot of the time, I think some of these pretty decent teams that end up with relatively disappointing finishes, they're being way too hard on themselves and wallowing in a pointlessly negative narrative. In reality, it usually takes a bit of magic to put together an outstanding run.

I guess I don't know about Saban, Meyer, etc. Seems like those guys have a bit too much magic at their disposal.

saunders45    5,280

IIRC, the stat is every champ has top 10 class within 4 seasons of winning the title since like 2001.

RedSavage    376

Which is the main reason I think we might actually see a better team next year. For all the times Tommy saved us, there's probably just as many examples, if not more, where he killed drives, momentum and ultimately lost us the game bc he couldn't make a pass that should be relatively easy for most QBs to make. Whether Tanner Lee or POB is the real deal or not, I can not understate how excited I am to see someone able to actually pass the ball with some touch and (hopefully) accuracy.

junior4949    384

Which is the main reason I think we might actually see a better team next year. For all the times Tommy saved us, there's probably just as many examples, if not more, where he killed drives, momentum and ultimately lost us the game bc he couldn't make a pass that should be relatively easy for most QBs to make. Whether Tanner Lee or POB is the real deal or not, I can not understate how excited I am to see someone able to actually pass the ball with some touch and (hopefully) accuracy.

This is an excellent point, and it is also the reason Clemson beat Bama. Clemson had 99 snaps compared to the low 60's for Bama. If a QB and offense can sustain drives, they're in a good position to win. One of the reasons our defense over the years has been bad is because they're just out on the field too many snaps. Martinez was good for killing drives as well. Even the great Bama defense broke after being on the field for 99 snaps.

Undone    334

People can pi$$ and moan all they want about the past 15 or so years, but to me we've had some pretty good season with some very exciting players to watch. Clemson had two pretty special players with one being on the offense and the other the defense. We've had one or the other at times, but it has been quite a while since we had both. A couple of top 15 recruiting classes every five years which sure help the odds.

We really were probably fairly close to winning back-to-back conference titles in '09 & '10. Bo would definitely be here today if it had played out that way.

On a tangent to the earlier comments we've been replying to, Bo just really didn't do much with either line in his last few seasons. And that just really hurt us these past two seasons.

The more I reflect on this last season, the less I blame Armstrong for anything, really. He was running for his life on an embarrassingly high ratio of offensive snaps. Let's say Lee had actually been eligible this year and is able to read the field and throw daggers on the numbers - How much would it have mattered? He would have been running for his life/throwing balls away anyway.

BoneyardHusker    308

I sure like to see us included in this conversation. But we are in a totally different situation than the other four. We might have a better combination of support (e.g., sellouts and fan loyalty) and facilities than any of the other four. Might. We definitely have a tougher time recruiting than another of the other four. That said, it's time to wake up the Big Red sleeping giant. GBR!

UCLA has been mentioned in every "Sleeping Giant" article that has ever been written. It's not necessarily a good thing to be on this list.

Undone    334

He did kill drives, but he was also getting pressured way more than he should have been.

What Tommy couldn't do with his arm and what he could do with his legs probably net each other out over the course of his career. That's the nature of most dual threat quarterbacks not named Mariotta, Vick, Griffin III, etc.

Our offensive line was a much bigger problem down the stretch. And bigger still, our defensive front seven.

RedSavage    376

He did kill drives, but he was also getting pressured way more than he should have been.

What Tommy couldn't do with his arm and what he could do with his legs probably net each other out over the course of his career. That's the nature of most dual threat quarterbacks not named Mariotta, Vick, Griffin III, etc.

Our offensive line was a much bigger problem down the stretch. And bigger still, our defensive front seven.

I definitely agree with this. Tommy was not nearly as much at fault this year. Our O-line was horrendous and the defensive front seven weren't much better. However, games like at Miami and Iowa 2015 come to mind, to name a couple.

TonyStalloni    499

This is an excellent point, and it is also the reason Clemson beat Bama. Clemson had 99 snaps compared to the low 60's for Bama. If a QB and offense can sustain drives, they're in a good position to win. One of the reasons our defense over the years has been bad is because they're just out on the field too many snaps. Martinez was good for killing drives as well. Even the great Bama defense broke after being on the field for 99 snaps.

One thing to add to a QB who can sustain drives. Instead of going 3 and out from our 25 yd line, a QB who can drive across the 50 yard line or more can at least allow us to try a FG or punt the ball inside the opposing teams 10 yd line. That gives our D a head start and forces the other team to drive the whole field. We have had great kicking and punting specialists at Nebraska.