When will Trump get impeached?

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think this is a great article by NPR and does a very good job explaining the current situation and just how likely/unlikely impeachment is.

But there is a question, even if the Comey memo is proven to be true, of whether Trump's alleged actions meet the legal definition of obstruction of justice. Some legal analysts and professors say yes — "When someone at the White House is telling someone at DOJ or the FBI to soft-pedal or abandon an investigation, that's when people start talking about obstruction," University of Texas law professor Stephen Vladeck told Politico.

Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz says maybe not. "If it was a polite request saying, 'Oh, you know, he's a good guy, Flynn, I wish you'd back off this thing,' that's not an obstruction of justice," Dershowitz contended on MSNBC on Tuesday. "If it was a command, it would raise stronger problems."

He continued, "I just think it's a very, very high bar to get over obstruction of justice for a president who, in fact, is the head of the unitary executive branch that includes the FBI and the Justice Department."

And then there's this gem...

Plenty on the left were calling for the impeachment of George W. Bush as the Iraq war was spiraling out of control and over the revelation that that country had no weapons of mass destruction, despite claims of evidence by the U.S. There were "Impeach Bush" bumper stickers in lots of different forms. (You can still buy some for $4.99 on Cafe Press.)

The calls even came from a New York businessman, who flirted with his own runs for president.
"I was surprised that [then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi] didn't do more in terms of Bush and going after Bush. It was almost — it just seemed like she was going to really look to impeach Bush and get him out of office, which, personally, I think would have been a wonderful thing."
That happened to be Donald J. Trump on CNN with Wolf Blitzer.

I believe the proof in the difference would be did the request come with negative ramifications if Comey didn't abide by the request.

Well....Since Comey has time now to watch Judge Judy, I'm assuming the proof of that would be pretty easy.

Trump represents an existential threat to liberalism.

Then why are conservatives on this board calling for his impeachment?

They were persuaded by the echo chamber.

I'm not persuaded by an echo chamber. I was hoping he would grow in the office and was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Ask Knapp, I'm a pretty conservative guy & a registered Republican. As a student of history, and presidential history in particular, I find Trump to be incapable of fulfilling the role of his job. He does not measure up in so many ways. The argument of temperament during the campaign has been proven true. But it goes far beyond temperament - it goes to his very character. He is not a leader and he most certainly has personality disorders that make him incapable of fulfilling his duties. I had many issues with the previous democratic president but I would not be a man of character if I turned a blind eye towards this republican president. Trump fades in comparison to Ronald Reagan - don't mention them in the same sentence. My issue with Trump isn't totally on policy - there are some I like (which many he has back peddled on) and some I don't like. My issue is his fitness for the office. He has been weighed in the scales and been found wanting as far as I'm concerned.

• Fire 4

Everyone in a position to help their children does so, this isn't a Trump villainous act.

You think it's legal to benefit from the presidency as long as you're doing it to help your children?

Just trying to understand your thought process here.

Rotsa ruck.

Here's why nobody should get their hopes up for an impeachment, or the 25th Amendment. Republicans are in power, and if they aren't threatened by bad polling, they're sticking to the party line that there's nothing wrong.

Analysis: Controversy aside, GOP sticking with Trump

But ask some GOP lawmakers, particularly House members from conservative districts or senators from GOP-leaning states, and they don’t need an investigation to tell you there’s no there there.

“At this point I have not seen anything that is that alarming,” said Rep. Robert Aderholt of Alabama.

“I’m convinced that the president did nothing that he thought was outside the best interest of the country,” said Rep. Trent Franks, R-Ariz.

“A lot of times he’s the victim of not being a career politician,” Rep. James Comer of Kentucky said of Trump.

“You guys are barking up the wrong tree,” Sen. James Risch of Idaho told a group of reporters asking about the various controversies.

Risch insisted the “real story” is leaks coming out of the administration. And citing a Washington Post story about Trump revealing classified information to Russian diplomats in the Oval Office a day after firing Comey, Risch said it had been disclosed by “a weasel ... a traitor. They’ve committed treason and ought to go to prison.”

• Fire 1

LMAO.

Somebody had to have hacked his twitter. Didn't they?

It's from 2014.

The hilarious thing about Trump is, for nearly everything that happens, he's made a tweet about it sometime in the past that says the exact opposite.

It's remarkable, really.

• Fire 1

LMAO.

It's from 2014.

The hilarious thing about Trump is, for nearly everything that happens, he's made a tweet about it sometime in the past that says the exact opposite.

It's remarkable, really.

Projecting. Trump thought the other side was doing what he'd do. Now he's doing it.

• Fire 2

LMAO.

It's from 2014.

It's remarkable, really.

Ahhhh. I didn't notice the date. I just figured he was getting really brazen and admitting he was incompetent and basically saying "so whatcha gonna do about it?"

But, since it's from 2014, it's just another in an embarrassingly long line of him being even worse than what he disparaged Obama for.

It was much more fun thinking he tweeted that this morning.

Reply to BigRedBuster:

What exactly is your objection to Trump having his family as his closest advisors? "Financially gaining" is too broad and nebulous a phrase. What is your specific objection to Trump having his family as advisors? In what specific way do you see them gaining financially, and how can you directly attributed that to the president?

At what point do you finally admit it's not really a big deal, and you're just looking for an excuse to whine?

Excuse to whine????

So, I take it you actually don't feel the same way about Trump and his family and how they are manipulating their positions to make huge amounts of money.

You really are OK with this?

Top GOP Senator wants clarity on Kushner family visa pitch

Amazingly, Ivanka sits in on meetings with Chinese officials with her father and all while she has business ties to China and things move along just grandly.

Ivanka: Trump's secret weapon with China?

Not to mention the millions of dollars the federal government has paid directly to his personal properties for meetings and time spent there that he very well could have spent at the Whitehouse....you know...the place we already pay for for him to live and host people????

Trump’s style of diplomacy puts his Mar-a-Lago in spotlight

You really haven't been paying attention....have you???

Congrats, you have perfected party politics.

PS....that was with just about a 5 minute google search. I'm sure if you try really hard, you can find even more.

Edit.....after I posted this, I remembered these gems.

Ivanka Trump company promotes $10,000 bracelet worn on '60 Minutes'

I threw one in from Fox News so that you can use a news site that I'm sure you frequent.....just for poops and giggles.

State Department promotion of Trump's Mar-a-Lago draws fire

In addition:

Chinese government grants rights to 35 long-sought trademarks to Trump businesses (March)

Trump doubles membership fee to Mar-A-Lago from $100K to $200K (January)

Documents confirm Donald Trump benefits from his business (February)

Rusty being honest about his opinion. What we want here is honest discussion about how people really feel.

But he's absolutely blinding himself to Trump's conflicts of interest and ability to profit from his decisions. As is Atbone, if he thinks Trump's kids running his company is acceptable. His tax plan is basically a huge giveaway to himself.

• Fire 3

I'd wager 90% of the people posting in this topic would be saying the same things if this was Clinton. BRB and ED and TGHusker are ex-Republicans or reluctant Republicans. They're all conservative. knapp is an independent (I think). I'm an independent. It's safe to say that at the very least the 5 of us would have had similar posts if it was Clinton doing these same things.

No offense to zoogs but he might have tried a little harder to defend Clinton than he did Trump.

So if I sound condescending in my response to someone who says "Trump hasn't done anything illegal," that's why. If you think he hasn't done anything illegal you either haven't been paying attention and/or you would have been pissing and moaning if Clinton had done the exact same stuff.

It's possible I confused you with Dewiz, Atbone, but you need to open your eyes. An independent FBI protects us. Having three branches of government protects us. What if the president could just pressure the FBI director into stopping any investigation? That would allow the president to get away with all sorts of things. Do you want that to be the case when a non-Republican is president? If not, you shouldn't want Trump to get away with it.

• Fire 1

I am absolutely an independent, and I don't want Hillary as president. We do not need dynasties in American politics. We kicked out the King over 200 years ago and we don't need to go back. So no to more Clintons, no to more Bushes, no to Michelle Obama or anyone else who might run because their family member was once president.

I can guarantee you I'd be posting about Hillary exactly the same way as I'm posting about Trump if she was doing the things Trump is doing.

I believe in objective right and wrong. Doesn't matter to me if they're an R or a D (or, like Donald or Bernie, someone pretending to be an R or D), if they're wrong, they deserve to be called on it.

• Fire 2