Bob Diaco - New Defensive Coordinator

NOTE: This isn't a rumor. Its a follow up on a report from a Nebraska reporter. Would appreciate this thread remaining on the main board.

Bob has emerged as a leading candidate for our DC job:

So here's the deal. I threw his name out yesterday as someone who would make sense but I REALLY hope this doesn't happen. I've mentioned it a few times on here but Im a UConn graduate and so I have watched every single one of these Diaco era football games at UConn. Among the reasons Diaco was fired at UConn was:

1. We didn't score a TD in over a month. Thats right. A month. From the second half of the game against UCF on October 19 until the second half of Tulane in the last game of the season we did. not. score. a. touchdown.

2. He runs the "bend don't break" defense. It used to drive UConn fans INSANE because we would line up 8-10 yards off the ball (sound familiar?) and very rarely pressed guys or brought pressure. This is not the formula I believe necessary to win.

3. Guy is a control FREAK. I know as a DC this is somewhat okay but he was the definition of a micro-manager. Way way way too involved in every aspect of everyone's coaching decisions.

4. The guy has zero ability to understand game situations. Clock management (end of Navy game this year), fake field goals at absurd times (4th and goal from the 18 down 7-0 to BC in the first quarter, second fake FG against Mizzou last year, etc), lack of ability to get plays and defensive calls into the huddle on time, lack of situational awareness on both sides of the ball in various situations (2 minute, 4 minute, etc)

5. At ND he was a really good coordinator. Won the Broyles award.

6. He is a big "culture" guy. It ultimately was part of the reason he lost his job at UConn

7. Absolutely batsh#t crazy. If you thought Mark Banker was a good quote just wait until Bob Diaco is interviewed by our media. You're going to absolutely lose your mind listening to some of his quotes. Search "Bob Diaco Fish Cake" to start yourselves off.

8. The guy does understand defense though as crazy as he is. He developed Obi Melifonwu and Jamar Summers into phenomenal players for us. The American has some really really high flying offenses and he did a fairly good job at keeping them in check.

9. Won't bring anything to the table as far as special teams go. His philosophy regarding punt returns was to "fair catch them as to not take any unnecessary risks in the return game". We didn't return a punt for something like the first 5 or 6 games of the season last year.

10. He's a decent recruiter and has great ties to New Jersey. Was an All-Big Ten Linebacker at Iowa in his day and is young, energetic, and personable.

11. He wore red pants almost our entire season so I would look forward to seeing if that trend continued at Nebraska.

Summary: I would be fairly disappointed if we hired him as our DC. Despite being a Broyles Award winner and experience at Notre Dame as a DC from what I saw from him at UConn I would be TERRIFIED giving him a large amount of responsibility and money at UConn. My opinion might be jaded from what he did to my Huskies but I believe we can and should do better than him if we want to get to the point of competing regularly for conference titles and NY6 bowls.

Edited by Mavric
Edited title once hired
  • Plus1 2

I said in the OP that my opinion on Bob is probably very jaded from having to have dealt with him as a head coach. I also felt it was relevant to list some of the major points of concern that were raised with his job as a HC at UConn. Its not that he couldn't do well here I just wouldn't make him my first choice if I was looking to make a serious splash hire at DC