Bob Diaco - New Defensive Coordinator

Something about him just doesn't feel right to me. Not sure exactly what it is. Lack of success, weird eccentric personality, no established recruiting chops, too perfect of a face, etc.

There are quite a few articles floating around from his time at Notre Dame about his recruiting. Here are two for you:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/01/03/bcs-national-championship-defensive-coordinator-bob-diaco-notre-dame-alabama/1804929/

But when you trace the arc of Notre Dame's sudden and surprising emergence, which begins and ends with one of the most dominant defenses in the country, Diaco's imprint is undeniable.

It has been made in recruiting, where he's had a strong hand in the Irish's sudden talent influx on defense. He secured five-star linebacker Ishaq Williams' commitment with a 4:30 a.m. visit to his Brooklyn home

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/on-down-the-line-notre-dame-football/2011/01/notre-dame-having-a-recruiting-run-to-be-remembered.html

Eh .... that might be pumping a lit of sunshine.

Notre Dame's class ranking:

2006 - 4

2007 - 6

2008 - 1

2009 - 15

2010 - 16

2011 - 9 *Diaco's first full class

2012 - 18

2013 - 5

It's also worth noting that, the guys he would have recruited at Notre Dame in 2010 and 2011 would have had their maximum impact in 2014 and 2015, and in those 2 seasons, ND ranked 85th and 95th in scoring defense.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/sort/totalPointsPerGame/year/2015

You realize he wasn't their coach then right?

Yes, I do realize that, so part of that definitely can be attributed to the current coaching staff at the time, BUT the reason I pointed it out is that often times great talent can overcome poor coaching. I just would have expected even with the poorest of coaching and strong talent ND would have finished no lower than 50th in defense.

Interesting that you won't give him any credit at all for what he did while he was at ND and will knock him down for what they did after he left.

I never said he doesn't deserve credit, and I think that the 2012 season was a really great season for him. But the other seasons (2009 to 2011) when you look at the total defense his teams allowed, the average ranking was 56th or something like that. Plus, his UConn teams were horrible at defense, and if he is a defensive genius, you would expect that part of their game would at least be ok.

A lot of positive about bend but don't break. If you don't allow a lot of points you give yourself to win most games.....on the other hand, with a bend but don't break defense usually results in losing the field position battle. In that case, your offense better be pretty good.

Interesting that you won't give him any credit at all for what he did while he was at ND and will knock him down for what they did after he left.

I never said he doesn't deserve credit, and I think that the 2012 season was a really great season for him. But the other seasons (2009 to 2011) when you look at the total defense his teams allowed, the average ranking was 56th or something like that. Plus, his UConn teams were horrible at defense, and if he is a defensive genius, you would expect that part of their game would at least be ok.

I am too lazy to go look at ND schedule during that time, but presume it included the typical big time programs, many of which are rival games. 56th vs those teams, is probably better than 30ish vs last season's schedule for Nebraska. Not saying Diaco is my first choice, just noting that ND typically plays a stronger schedule, with almost every game being some form of rivalry.

I am too lazy to go look at ND schedule during that time, but presume it included the typical big time programs, many of which are rival games. 56th vs those teams, is probably better than 30ish vs last season's schedule for Nebraska. Not saying Diaco is my first choice, just noting that ND typically plays a stronger schedule, with almost every game being some form of rivalry.

Well 2009 was his time at Cincy, and I'm not disputing that ND plays some tough teams, but I don't think this guy is a home-run hire and certainly not worthy of $1M. Had he been somewhat successful as a HC I might think differently, but I worry we are putting too much into the one good year he had at ND.

Something about him just doesn't feel right to me. Not sure exactly what it is. Lack of success, weird eccentric personality, no established recruiting chops, too perfect of a face, etc.

There are quite a few articles floating around from his time at Notre Dame about his recruiting. Here are two for you:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/01/03/bcs-national-championship-defensive-coordinator-bob-diaco-notre-dame-alabama/1804929/

But when you trace the arc of Notre Dame's sudden and surprising emergence, which begins and ends with one of the most dominant defenses in the country, Diaco's imprint is undeniable.

It has been made in recruiting, where he's had a strong hand in the Irish's sudden talent influx on defense. He secured five-star linebacker Ishaq Williams' commitment with a 4:30 a.m. visit to his Brooklyn home

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/on-down-the-line-notre-dame-football/2011/01/notre-dame-having-a-recruiting-run-to-be-remembered.html

Eh .... that might be pumping a lit of sunshine.

Notre Dame's class ranking:

2006 - 4

2007 - 6

2008 - 1

2009 - 15

2010 - 16

2011 - 9 *Diaco's first full class

2012 - 18

2013 - 5

I realize he wasn't responsible for the entire class, but the talk of him not being a good recruiter seems to be over blown.

This may be a first, but I agree with you LOMS. I don't get the warm and fuzzy feeling from him. I am pretty good at reading people, and he seems a little too much into himself.

I dunno if that's a good reason to bash a guy.

.Recruiting is essentially a high stakes sales job. If you don't exude buckets of confidence and are in any way unsure of yourself elite prospects and their parents will see right through you. We aren't saving the manatees here. I'll never begrudge a coach for being cocky (speaking as a cocky sales rep myself). Heck if I were Bob Diaco I'd be pretty cocky too. Good looking young guy killing it in his chosen profession.

People gotta remember that Bielema played LB with Diaco at Iowa in the early 90s and then both were GAs there right after they graduated. You'd think he would for sure take that Arkansas job

Ya that's true but maybe he doesn't want to coach with him because he's a douchebag which we already knew that about Bielema hahaha

Yeah, Diaco just doesn't seem like he'd be much of an improvement. I'd hope that Riley would hire someone that I've at least heard of before. With his NFL ties, you'd think he'd know an old NFL DC or two who are looking for a new job. Corey Raymond is another guy I'd look at.

Coming from someone who thinks PJ Fleck is the 2nd coming of Vince Lombardi I feel instantly better about Diaco. Good to know that we now have 100% clarity on what a successful DC hire needs to have.

Has I am GLORIOUS heard of you? check all that apply

[ ] Yes

[ ] No

[ ] Who's I am GLORIOUS

[ ] No need to keep going, I know I'm not getting the job now

• Fire 7