3-4 current player positions

Guys like miller and Jefferson could fit the slot of OLB . Our ILB's would be fine. The Davis twins could play Nose but would be perfect DE's. I could see stolt playing some nose. Watts has the frame but it would not be ideal to play a true frosh at such an important position on defense, but maybe that is why the DL recruits are so excited to come in. Open spots to fill

D linemen for the 3-4 don't necessarily have to be big depending on your scheme. If you're running a two-gap scheme, they do have to be big to keep from being pushed out of position. A one-gap scheme that relies on quick penetration by the D line with the LBs filling the gaps that open up, you don't necessarily need 300lb+ guys, even at nose tackle. In that case, you need quick, strong guys who can get off blocks fast and make plays in the backfield.

It's all complementary. The fundamental philosophy of the D line is complemented by the linebackers to cover weaknesses. And that's not even including safety help if they read run.

I've always liked the 3-4, except for the fact that your OLBs need to be extremely good. On top of having to be superb athletes, they also have to be both skilled in coverage, pass rushing, and run fitting, but also have to have lightning quick decision making. If the OLB in a 3-4 gets out of position, it'll throw the whole scheme off.

That said, 3-4 meshes well with pretty much any kind of secondary coverage (I absolutely love it with press quarters) and it's the best scheme to zone blitz out of. Even with the personnel we have on hand, I could see the Davis twins being good at either nose or DE in a 3-4, especially with the fact that Carlos has shown flashes of ability to get off blocks and get into the backfield. If Kalil has the same kind of ability, we will be in good shape with them and Stoltenberg. M. Newby is almost prototypical for the OLB position in the 3-4, and Alex Davis looks like he fits the mold as well. A press zone 3 high coverage with a corner blitz off the edge and an OLB blitz from the other side could be brutal with who we have on hand. Kalu blitzes well from the corner position.

If we can pull one or two tall, fast OLBs from JUCO before signing day and maybe one more nose tackle with good skills to get off blocks, we will be in good shape if we do more to a 3-4.

Of course, since I'm biased towards mY favorite scheme, take what I say with a grain of salt.

• Fire 4

At LB we wouldn't be bad. Weber, Ferguson and Quayshon Alexander in the middle. Newby, Young and Gifford on the outside. Barry, Simmons, Jefferson and maybe Avery Roberts to fill in. Alex Davis would probably be one current DE who could move to LB.

I think that Quayshon fits perfectly as a OLB in a 3-4. Pretty sure he played a OLB/DE hybrid in HS.

At LB we wouldn't be bad. Weber, Ferguson and Quayshon Alexander in the middle. Newby, Young and Gifford on the outside. Barry, Simmons, Jefferson and maybe Avery Roberts to fill in. Alex Davis would probably be one current DE who could move to LB.

I think that Quayshon fits perfectly as a OLB in a 3-4. Pretty sure he played a OLB/DE hybrid in HS.

That could be. I had in my list that he has been working at MIKE but I'm not sure. And we could always move people around.

Ferguson also played mostly DE/Hybrid in HS.

NT: One of the twins. Those boys are still growing, pushing 300 right now. Quickness is an underrated ability of a good nose. Still got to be strong as hell (which they are) but you add quickness to that and you become dominant. They could probably both play it.

DE: Freedom, Stolt, Davis Twin, Neal, King, Stille.

OLB: Newby, Ferguson, Alex Davis, Jefferson, Miller, Gifford, Alexander, Barry. (Guy Thomas if we hang on).

MLB: Weber, Roberts, Young, Simmons. I think guys like Alexander/Ferguson could play this spot also.

I felt like this was a nice summary of the 3-4 and how to adapt it to players on hand.

"When I started out it was a two-gap defense, the defensive ends had to play two-gap and be able to rush the passer. Well that's a hard thing to do."

"We had a guy here with the Houston Oilers named Elvin Bethea," Phillips continued. "We said, ‘Wait a minute. We don't want to do that with that guy.' We started stunting the guys and moving them and let them do what they do well, playing a 3-4, but playing a different way, Phillips 3-4 if you want to call it that. I had another guy named Bruce Smith that wasn't bad at in a 3-4 You can do it with guys, if they have the abilities, then you let them go more. If they don't then you play a two-gap and just hold your ground all you can and let the linebackers make the plays. It's all about what kind of players you have and let them do what they do best."

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/1/27/7922019/the-wade-phillips-3-4

• Fire 3