No coaching changes for the 90th ranked offense?

Husker Q

Kudos Riley for some change. Most of us seem to be happy that Banker is gone but what about the coaches of the offense which ranked 90th in total O and 73rd in scoring O?

I guarantee you Nebraska does not have the 90th offensive talent in the country!

IMO Langsdorf and Cavanaugh really need to go but offense is Riley's baby and he won't change it.

Subjectively, I can't ever get excited about his dinky-dunk west coast scheme (and Langsdorf's love for screen and swing passes) which is the total opposite of the Husker Power identity I know and love.

Considering that 10 of the last 16 national champion winners historically run some sort of pro style/WCO, I think it's an offensive scheme that should be implemented. In fact, it was almost 11 of the last 16, but Bo Scarborough got hurt, and Lane Kiffin....well, he Kiffin-ed.

The only thing I'd like to happen is more focus be put on running the football, but that's what the WCO eventually emphasizes. WCO replaces short yardage runs with a "dink and dunk" short passing game as you call it, which spreads the D out, opening up large running lanes. With the right players, it will work out just fine.

My biggest concern doesn't have to do with the style of offense being run. It's about physical toughness on that side of the ball, or a lack thereof.

Once it returns (which does have to do with the style of play), then we'll see.

As far as Langs.....

There's a guy looking for a job right now who was pretty good, and Riley knows him pretty well. He sucked as a head coach, but is terrific as an offensive coordinator. He was the offensive coordinator for Dallas for two Super Bowls, and Riley hired him in 01 to be his O Coordinator. That was the same year he drafted Drew Brees and some kid out of TCU named LaDainian....

• Fire 1

I would very much like for Riley to be strongly encouraged to take over play calling duties.

You mentioned this in another thread. What do you think Riley will bring to the table that Langsdorf doesn't?
A better reputation as an offensive coordinator.

The 90th ranked offense with the most productive QB in school history is not cutting the mustard.

I was surprised to see the title saying we were 90th ranked in offense. So I checked. Sure enough. 90th in total offense, and 79th in scoring offense. But then I noticed how many B1G schools have crappy ranked offenses. In scoring O there are eight B1G schools below us. And Wisconsin is only a few spots above. The highest ranked B1G team was Ohio State at #31. Could there be something more to this than just bad play calling? /plays dumb :dunno:

• Fire 2

You can still have a run-centric and powerful offense out of different formations (like shotgun vs I). Auburn is a good example of that.

Bottom line, Nebraska should not have the 90th ranked offense no matter who is at QB.

Really??? Because if I'm a defense and I know the QB I'm playing against doesn't make good decisions and isn't a strong passer, I might favor the run heavily... Bottom line, Tommy could not throw like a QB should be able to, teams knew this and keyed their defensive schemes around it. And shouldn't have an offense ranked 90th no matter who we have at QB is the most idiotic thing I've read on these forums (congratulations on that). Could have put Drew Brown at QB and had a better offense than we had last year by your logic.

So you think Nebraska's talent is 90th in the country?

If the QB was sooooo bad, then why not use one of the other QB's? Plenty of true freshman QBs have done very well in college football lately. Do you think all of our QBs are 90th or worse in the country? Osborne won with Matt Turman for goodness sakes.

Do you think any defenses ever stacked against our run, ever? Or do so now against any rush heavy teams?

I think a case could be made that our offensive line, riddled with injuries and apparently down to about 7 guys suited up for the last half the season, would rank in the bottom ten nationally. That would make our offense rank somewhere around 90 I suppose. We finished out the season without key components of the receiving corpse and RBs were hobbled and our starting QB and back up QB were BOTH injuried enough to not be playing but had to anyway - according to many on this Board who insisted we had to save the most valuable asset on the team - POB's one extra year of eligibility). Yes, I think our offense as a whole was worse than 90th in the country. Not all of the blame rests on the coaches certainly but some of it does. Whether there are reasons enough to 'fire' coaches, I guess Riley and his managers have to make that call. I think the reasons for the poor offense are aplenty and there are reasons to believe we will see some improvement this coming fall BUT ONLY if the QBs they will have are MUCH better than freshmen usually are AND the offensive line play makes a dramatic upturn. Both of those are big IFs in my view. I would say more changes are forthcoming in the staffing after 2017 if we have another losing season.

• Fire 1

I would like to see someone with a run game coordinator tag.Lang's really lacks in calling and designing run plays.Cav needs to rotate players more to keep fresh guys in the game.

Why is everyone obsessed with rotating linemen? How many other teams do it? TO and Milt have both said the only time they did it was when they were well ahead in a game. Maybe in the bowl games in Florida they did it more regularly because of the heat. How many guys are you gonna rotate? The back ups are backups for a reason. Maybe if you have a 1 and 1A you can rotate but I don't think that has been the situation the last two years.

• Fire 5

I would very much like for Riley to be strongly encouraged to take over play calling duties.

You mentioned this in another thread. What do you think Riley will bring to the table that Langsdorf doesn't?
A better reputation as an offensive coordinator.

The 90th ranked offense with the most productive QB in school history is not cutting the mustard.

Meh. I wouldn't trust Riley running the offense anymore than I'd trust Langsdorf.

• Fire 1

I would like to see someone with a run game coordinator tag.Lang's really lacks in calling and designing run plays.Cav needs to rotate players more to keep fresh guys in the game.

Why is everyone obsessed with rotating linemen? How many other teams do it? TO and Milt have both said the only time they did it was when they were well ahead in a game. Maybe in the bowl games in Florida they did it more regularly because of the heat. How many guys are you gonna rotate? The back ups are backups for a reason. Maybe if you have a 1 and 1A you can rotate but I don't think that has been the situation the last two years.

We had the best S&C program in the country from Bob's and Tom's time for must of their run. They had sometimes 3 deep on those lines. Sure they didn't rotate as much, because they knew they would probably far be enough ahead to pull their starters in the 4th Q. You used to hear that their 2nd lines from coaches they were going up against, could be starting at other schools. We haven't had that type of depth in a long time. It would sure help if the backups could get some quality playing time, to give the starters a breather. We don't have the luxury to keep waiting till the 4Q, or next year to get them playing time. I used to enjoy watching our linemen holding up four fingers at the start of the fourth Q. They knew they owned it and the other team was done.

GBR!!!

I blame the coaches for not using Tommy's strengths. He is a great option QB which totally went to waste and he's good at bullet passes with few reads. So, of course, they have him make a bunch of reads or throw touch passes. Biggest waste of talent I can remember at DONU.

He would not have held up the whole year (he didn't anyway). The what are we stuck with? Fife running the option