Should Colleges Be Allowed To Pay For Parents To Come to Games?

What Should Be Paid?  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I put this in the recruiting thread but it maybe should be moved to the Football Forum because this applies to all players on the team.

I feel like there was a thread like this, but I don't remember seeing a poll for it.

This thread was made to see if it would help get recruits that are far away form home to Nebraska. It would help ensure parents that they get to see their kid also. Do you think one game flight should be paid for? Two? Does distance matter(besides living in or near Lincoln)? How much should be paid for etc.

Comment below, and don't forget to vote. If this were allowed I would say it helps Nebraska in recruiting.

What are your thoughts? If I missed something or something needs to be added to the poll tell me and I will fix it or add the option.

• Fire 1

There's no reason for them not to, at least at a place like Nebraska. Big time programs like ours practically print money we're so profitable, and that's a properly respectable gesture imo. Now, I think if that's just a carte blanche policy that has the potential to be a little absurd and to have families try to game the system, so I wouldn't be opposed to some kind of selection process similar to how financial aid works for prospective college students, but kids that come from disadvantaged upbringings should be served by the university by having the opportunity for their parents to see them play.

This would get into the sticky world of illegal benefits. The players do get tickets to give to friends and family, but those people are required to find their own way to the game. If the proposed were approved, what are the stipulations? What is to stop a school from flying families of a top recruit in first class and chauffeur them around in limousines and have them stay in the best hotels in the area.

I think the idea is a decent idea, as I understand it can be tough for families to see their kids play ball. But, it would be tough to monitor and police in terms of NCAA infractions.

Of course Nebraska should be all for this. This would benefit any place with funds that has a recruiting disadvantage. I say as many trips/games as possible. Bama may not need such a benefit to attract top talent but it sure would help here.

To answer ColoradoHusk's question- there are a lot of issues that are hard for the NCAA to police but the key on this one would be if they are already on the team. Wouldn't that stipulation preclude illegal benefits for recruits?

Of course Nebraska should be all for this. This would benefit any place with funds that has a recruiting disadvantage. I say as many trips/games as possible. Bama may not need such a benefit to attract top talent but it sure would help here.

To answer ColoradoHusk's question- there are a lot of issues that are hard for the NCAA to police but the key on this one would be if they are already on the team. Wouldn't that stipulation preclude illegal benefits for recruits?

But you could tell a recruit "not only are we gonna bring your family in for every game, but we will fly you first class and do everything top notch that you won't get at this other school." I just think that the practicality of this issue is not realistic.

But you could tell a recruit "not only are we gonna bring your family in for every game, but we will fly you first class and do everything top notch that you won't get at this other school." I just think that the practicality of this issue is not realistic.

For sure it wouldn't be fair for schools that couldn't afford to lure recruits with that as a possible benefit. But as far as Nebraska is concerned, I don't see a dowside. There are many places that have clear cut recruiting advantages over places like Nebraska, so let's not pretend that complete fairness is a driving issue for the NCAA. I say anything that can be done to help make up the disadvantages we have in recruiting the better.

For sure it wouldn't be fair for schools that couldn't afford to lure recruits with that as a possible benefit. But as far as Nebraska is concerned, I don't see a dowside. There are many places that have clear cut recruiting advantages over places like Nebraska, so let's not pretend that complete fairness is a driving issue for the NCAA. I say anything that can be done to help make up the disadvantages we have in recruiting the better.

Yup. As a selfish Husker fan I support anything we can do that costs money because we have a lot of it for athletics and most schools don't.

• Fire 1

But the NCAA would never allow such a thing, it's not even a realistic proposition.

I agree that it's not very realistic but that wasn't the question or if the NCAA would allow it. The likely bigger obstacle would be having to do it for every sport, like PC pointed out. But hey, if it could happen, it would be good for NU.