13 - Jamal Turner (.9658)

14 - Charles Jackson (.9606)

15 - Lamar Jackson (.9582)

16 - Cameron Jurgens (.9536)

17 - John Raridon (.9435)

18 - Bubba Starling (.9433)

19 - Eric Lee (.9414)

20 - Terrell Newby (.9404)

Few dudes on here that werent very good or derailed by injury. But, few on here still to be determined with high upside. Septak and Richenberger lol. And only one QB who never ended up here. I think you look at fact no QB in top 20 and you know why we have struggled for so long.
  • Fire 1

I would break them down like this:

Above-Average Player
1 - Marlon Lucky (.9950)

5 - Ndamukong Suh (.9797)

6 - Baker Steinkuhler (.9786)
7 - Cortney Grixby (.9773)

9 - Lydon Murtha (.9739)

10 - Titus Adams (.9691)

19 - Terrell Newby (.9404)

20 - Andrew Rodriguez (.9392)

Contributor

11 - David Horne (.9687)
12 - Jamal Turner (.9658)

Non-Factor at Nebraska

2 - Chris Septak (.9833)
3 - Aaron Green (.9813)

8 - Jason Richenberger (.9747)

13 - Charles Jackson (.9606)

17 - Bubba Starling (.9433)

To Be Determined

4 - Tyjon Lindsey (.9809)

14 - Lamar Jackson (.9582)

15 - Cameron Jurgens (.9536)
16 - John Raridon (.9435)
18 - Eric Lee (.9414)

So about 25% that were complete busts (for us) and 30% that didn't come anywhere close to living up to expectations.

Fortunately there's still 25% that have yet to write their story.

Edited by Mavric
Corrected

They ran down the 20 top-rated recruits in the Composite Era

1 - Marlon Lucky (.9950)

2 - Chris Septak (.9833)

3 - Aaron Green (.9813)

4 - Ahman Green (.9813)

5 - Tyjon Lindsey (.9809)

6 - Ndamukong Suh (.9797)

7 - Baker Steinkuhler (.9786)

8 - Cortney Grixby (.9773)

9 - Jason Richenberger (.9747)

10 - Lydon Murtha (.9739)

11 - Titus Adams (.9691)

12 - David Horne (.9687)

13 - Jamal Turner (.9658)

14 - Charles Jackson (.9606)

15 - Lamar Jackson (.9582)

16 - Cameron Jurgens (.9536)

17 - John Raridon (.9435)

18 - Bubba Starling (.9433)

19 - Eric Lee (.9414)

20 - Terrell Newby (.9404)

Few dudes on here that werent very good or derailed by injury. But, few on here still to be determined with high upside. Septak and Richenberger lol. And only one QB who never ended up here. I think you look at fact no QB in top 20 and you know why we have struggled for so long.

You say that, but then I don't see Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, or Eric Crouch on this list.

Interesting that almost all of this list occurred over the last 16 years but 5 of the 20 (25%) are within the last 2 years. I also didn't realize that so many were in state kids. I think it's fair to say Bo didn't strain himself any trying to get top prospects in here.

Ahman Green is kind of an outlier time frame wise.

When did the composite rankings begin?

OK. Sorry about this but I screwed it up.

I got off a line and my brain apparently read "Aaron" as "Ahman". But when I went back through I didn't catch it because I was off by one. I even just about made a comment about needing more Green's but still didn't notice.

I corrected it in my two posts above.

Frazier and Crouch were not that highly rated if I recall correctly. Crouch was from Omaha. I am surprised A Green was that highly regarded as well. I could put hundreds of former Huskers on the list ahead of about 15 or more. This really calls into question the rating accuracy certainly.

Far too often players from schools not in a given state's largest class sizes are downgraded because they are unproven due to lack of highly regarded competition presumably.

The most important considerations in considering a given player's potential are size, weight and most importantly speed and athleticism and don't forget academic standing (grades and test scores) and video of demonstrated 'football plays' made. Coaches need to watch them play in person for several live games or atleast have them in a camp setting where they can really evaluate them in '3-D'. And verify the speed times to the extent possible - as of course there is a great deal of puffery.

Marlon Lucky was a very good RB but in no way can he remotely be considered Nebraska's best ever recruit. He doesn't make the top 500 in my view. He was the number one rated player in the country that year IIRC but he never demonstrated near the speed and elusiveness of many of our better Omaha RBs over the years.

David Horne was the most overrated of the bunch and was around 4.7 at best. We passed up a player like Danny Woodhead from N. Platte (may not have even been rated as being from a no-name school in outstate Nebraska). He is one of Nebraska's greatest football players ever in my opinion but was not even offered by Solich if memory serves.

Frazier and Crouch were not that highly rated if I recall correctly. Crouch was from Omaha. I am surprised A Green was that highly regarded as well. I could put hundreds of former Huskers on the list ahead of about 15 or more. This really calls into question the rating accuracy certainly.

Far too often players from schools not in a given state's largest class sizes are downgraded because they are unproven due to lack of highly regarded competition presumably.

The most important considerations in considering a given player's potential are size, weight and most importantly speed and athleticism and don't forget academic standing (grades and test scores) and video of demonstrated 'football plays' made. Coaches need to watch them play in person for several live games or atleast have them in a camp setting where they can really evaluate them in '3-D'. And verify the speed times to the extent possible - as of course there is a great deal of puffery.

Marlon Lucky was a very good RB but in no way can he remotely be considered Nebraska's best ever recruit. He doesn't make the top 500 in my view. He was the number one rated player in the country that year IIRC but he never demonstrated near the speed and elusiveness of many of our better Omaha RBs over the years.

David Horne was the most overrated of the bunch and was around 4.7 at best. We passed up a player like Danny Woodhead from N. Platte (may not have even been rated as being from a no-name school in outstate Nebraska). He is one of Nebraska's greatest football players ever in my opinion but was not even offered by Solich if memory serves.

The idea that Frazier was not a top recruit is garbage. He was by all means the best QB recruit in the country.

Frazier was special. He was named to the Parade magazine and USA Today All-America teams and attracted recruiting attention from schools across the country.

“He probably had 20 or 30 schools he could have gone to,” said Osborne.

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Article/How-It-Was-Recruiting-Tales-64160

Same with Crouch. Crouch and Bobby Newcombe were two of the top Dual threat QBs in the nation that year.

• Fire 1

Man, I forgot all about Chris Septak. He was incredible in HS. Just couldn't get healthy. Septak was supposed to be Matt Herian before Matt Herian showed up. Speaking of....talk about an injury costing a dude some serious bucks at the next level. Herian was just a beast in 2004 up until he broke his leg.