UCONN pulls offer at 11th hour

Super slimy move by the new regime at UCONN, pulling linebacker Ryan Dickens' offer by no fault of his own. Dickens has offers from a list of great schools-Columbia, Princeton, Dartmouth- and chose UCONN for their business school.

Was a Diaco recruit. I don't know if this is legal, but could he get an academic scholarship and walk on the team? Or does any scholarship become athletic once they make it?

Feel really sorry for the kid and hope he lands somewhere he thrives. That wants him.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/high-school/red-zone/2017/01/17/hs-football-raritans-dickens-scramble-mode-after-uconn-pulls-offer/96682558/

• Fire 1

1. It's perfectly legal. Verbal offers and commitments mean absolutely nothing until Signing Day.

2. Recruits and schools part ways all the time, most of the time not mutually. This is no different.

3. UConn was his only FBS offer and he just got turned down by Monmouth. One of the main reasons we fired Diaco was because he recruited multiple players of this caliber

4. There was staff turnover and UConn did not have a DC when Edsall and Dickens spoke originally. We hired a DC that runs a 3-3-5 scheme. This kid is a LBer that runs a 4.9 40 yard dash- in addition to being a low end FCS level prospect he also didn't fit our new scheme.

5. In no manner does Edsall and staff have to honor a scholarship of someone who was offered under a completely different set of circumstances and by different coaches.

6. It is much better for both UConn and for Dickens to separate now than for him to come to school for 2 years and realize then he has no chance of playing and then leaving and wasting 2 years of his career at UConn.

7. I wish Ryan nothing but the best of luck but the complete lack of interest surrounding his recruitment currently should tell you the level of prospect he is. Seems to be a phenomenal kid and hope he does well in life.

The part that is hard to accept is that he called the new staff to confirm that he still had the scholarship after Diaco was fired and they confirmed. They should have let him know their plans at that time to give him the most possible time to find a school.

keep in mind you're only going to get this kid's side of the story here since coaches can't comment. And maybe it did go down exactly how they're saying it did but realistically I would imagine that its very possible Ryan heard what he wanted to hear or got an answer he believed to be more affirmative than it really was.

I feel bad for the kid, but stories like this happen every year. The kid still has 3 weeks to figure out something. I would say its more like the 9th or 10th hour than the 11th hour.

Anyone remember Shawn Bodtman?

We helped him find a landing spot if im not mistaken it was maine?

A quick google says he landed at Maine. But nothing about us helping him to find a spot there. We did offer him a greyshirt though.

We pulled an offer from a kid named Aaron Bouzos about five years ago. I don't remember all the details but IIIRC he lied about his height and had some exaggerations from his h.s. coach about how good he was. Back up at Cal Poly. Good call on pulling it.

That being said, this kid from UCONN got a raw deal after being told he still had his scholarship.