UCONN pulls offer at 11th hour

Why not follow Diaco and commmit to Nebraska?

Then everyone complains about NU offering a scholarship to a kid with offers from only Ivy League schools and formerly UConn. Plus, Ivy League schools don't offer athletic scholarships.

Ivy League schools have been getting around this with loose rules for needs based aid.

UConn is not only getting ripped about this by the media, but across Jersey by HS coaches. Nothing about his offers or schools mentioned indicate he's looking to leave NE or the East Coast, so even by just offering him you would make more progress with your image and building connections in Jersey than by doing months of fruitless recruiting.

He runs his own charity, has fantastic grades, and is currently one of the most popular high school players in the country. Good publicity is always good

Why not follow Diaco and commmit to Nebraska?

Then everyone complains about NU offering a scholarship to a kid with offers from only Ivy League schools and formerly UConn. Plus, Ivy League schools don't offer athletic scholarships.

Ivy League schools have been getting around this with loose rules for needs based aid.

UConn is not only getting ripped about this by the media, but across Jersey by HS coaches. Nothing about his offers or schools mentioned indicate he's looking to leave NE or the East Coast, so even by just offering him you would make more progress with your image and building connections in Jersey than by doing months of fruitless recruiting.

He runs his own charity, has fantastic grades, and is currently one of the most popular high school players in the country. Good publicity is always good

I understand the kids is a great kid, and I'm not trying to take anything away from him. But, if remove all the outside stuff with UConn and Nebraska had offered a 2-star LB out of NJ, there would have been a lot of "why are we offering this kid?" That is the truth. I am not one who would be saying that, because I'm not critical of high school kids and if any school offers them, it's great for them. But, there would be plenty of Husker fans that would be critical of offering the type of player that he seems to be.

Diaco offered him at UConn. It's not like it would be completely random. It's not as much offering a 2 star linebacker as much as building good will with NJ high school coaches down the line with the 4 and 5 star players you would otherwise be starting fresh with. I'd be curious to know if Diaco may have made a call to the kid to just talk, that alone is a good look.