Mavric

CB Mario Goodrich [Clemson- Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

88 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. To which school will Goodrich commit?

• Nebraska
    • Missouri
    • Notre Dame
    • Florida State
    • Kansas
    • Oklahoma
    • Georgia
    • LSU
    • Clemson

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/08/2018 at 02:12 PM

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

Frost visited in-home.  Word is we still have a really good chance here.

Very conflicting report from 247. Pretty much the opposite.

31 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Very conflicting report from 247. Pretty much the opposite.

Yep.  Another report - directly from Goodrich this time - saying he's not considering NU anymore.  Visiting Georgia, LSU and Mississippi.  Apparently the SEC got to him.

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yep.  Another report - directly from Goodrich this time - saying he's not considering NU anymore.  Visiting Georgia, LSU and Mississippi.  Apparently the SEC got to him.

Can't blame a guy for wanting to play for Aranda.  But, all that talent in the area, it is surprising that they have to go "slumming" in the heartland though. 

Goodrich re-opened his recruitment after Nebraska fired coach Mike Riley, and although he says he is still considering the Cornhuskers his destination, it’s now one of many options — not necessarily the option.

“I’ve been talking to a few schools, but those are the ones I’m mainly interested in,” Goodrich said, adding, “I’ve been talking to (Nebraska), too.”

Goodrich, a four-star cornerback, has collected 19 total offers. That includes offers from all three local Division I programs — Missouri, Kansas and Kansas State — but he told The Star he’s not considering attending any of those three.

Goodrich is the third-ranked recruit in the state and sits at No. 95 nationally, per Rivals. He has twice made The Star’s All-Metro first team. As a junior, he intercepted seven passes and returned two for touchdowns. As a senior, he had one interception and 15 pass break-ups.

He was one of a handful of players to de-commit from Nebraska last month.

“It was hard,” Goodrich said of that decision. “Just knowing the (previous) coaching staff really likes you. You had your mind set on where you wanted to go.

“But things happen for a reason. I just pray every night and ask God to bless me whichever way I go.”

The college visits to the four SEC programs will take place over the next month. Goodrich hopes to make his decision in time for National Signing Day on Feb. 7, but he didn’t call that a firm deadline.

Link

It’s nice of him to include us in the conversation, but unfortunately I think this ship has sailed.

Seen him, Cam Brown and Farniok last thursday night at a Autograph session. Was talking to Farniok and giving Mario and Cam a hard time. I had my Husker gear on.  Told them both they needed to come to NU and all they could do was smile. U know kids.  Do not think he ends up here.

8 hours ago, runningblind said:

He may have recommended offering Mario but he will be a LB coach at UO.

For now. Some talk their CB coach is leaving and Donte will slide into that spot. 

12 hours ago, runningblind said:

He may have recommended offering Mario but he will be a LB coach at UO.

he tagged Donte in the offer tweet so...

40 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Thought I read Donte will be OLB coach until the corner position coach spot opens. Which sounds like it's expected.

NVM

Edited by sho

5 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

he tagged Donte in the offer tweet so...

I don't care who he tagged, he was hired as a LB coach.  If they expect him to move to CB again then peachy, but that is not the case at this moment.

57 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I don't care who he tagged, he was hired as a LB coach.  If they expect him to move to CB again then peachy, but that is not the case at this moment.

Then your op had zero point. 

Me too.  No one gives a flying truck about where Williams is coaching and who he’s recruiting.  If this kid wants to go to Oregon, deuces. If he wants to come here.... he’s the greatest thing since sliced bread.  End of story 

8 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

We had Ruud, who is a LB coach, visit a DT.  Guess I dont see much of a difference.  

Are You talking about Bryson williams visit?That was frost and ruud, 2 Nebraska boys selling Williams on staying home.

45 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Are You talking about Bryson williams visit?That was frost and ruud, 2 Nebraska boys selling Williams on staying home.

And they went to the same h.s.

Coaches recruit kids that won’t be in their group all the time. It is almost irrelevant whether or not Williams is currently coaching OLBs or not. He has a strong relationship with Mario and I am sure that he will be on point on this one for Oregon.

12 hours ago, Mavric said:

NOW you can call a recruitment similar to Isaiah Simmons. Everyone wins. Win win win win situation actually 

12 hours ago, Mavric said:

Makes me feel good about Taiyon and CJ Smith.  Clemson offered both of those guys before handing out an offer to Mario.  

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a frustrating recruitment to watch.

Agree. This one doesn't feel right.

55 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

Agree. This one doesn't feel right.

We finally have this caliber of player this close to Lincoln.....he commits to a staff that wasn't getting it done and didn't get it done...we hire the hottest young coach on the planet.....and he doesn't have interest in us.

I know it's all about relationships and he didn't have a relationship with Frost and co.  But....come on.....it's like he didn't even give the new staff a chance to build a relationship.  

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We finally have this caliber of player this close to Lincoln.....he commits to a staff that wasn't getting it done and didn't get it done...we hire the hottest young coach on the planet.....and he doesn't have interest in us.

I know it's all about relationships and he didn't have a relationship with Frost and co.  But....come on.....it's like he didn't even give the new staff a chance to build a relationship.  

Almost feels like something dirty was going on. Makes no sense that 6-7 4 stars committed to a 4-8 staff. Hope the Williams' were just that good. 

Edited by Waldo

27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Think pops is steering him to schools in the south. He wasn't fully on board with Nebraska from the beginning, and didn't allow Mario to commit right away.

30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He was looking for a reason to leave under the previous staff too, according to some in the industry.

44 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Almost feels like something dirty was going on. Makes no sense that 6-7 4 stars committed to a 4-8 staff. Hope the Williams' were just that good. 

15 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

He was looking for a reason to leave under the previous staff too, according to some in the industry.

My frustration still stands.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

My frustration still stands.

Oh, mine too. We haven't even mentioned this kid is basically Monte Harrison's little brother and has been selling him on Neb for years. This had slamdunk written all over it. 

Living here in KC and have a co-worker with pretty good connections at the LSW football program.  Kids all played football there and  know Mario.  He had told me way before Mario officially decommitted that Mario was already decomitted.  This was before any staff change or the season really started to go south.  I don't think Mario was ever coming here, probably better we knew about it earlier rather than being really late in the cycle.  It just seems like NU was a holder until something better came along. Seems like a great talent, would love to see him here especially being a local kid.  

2 minutes ago, QMany said:

or, you know, thanks to Clemson being a perennial national title contender - but it you want to use Venables as the justification go ahead Sam.

1 hour ago, HuskerNBigD said:

or, you know, thanks to Clemson being a perennial national title contender - but it you want to use Venables as the justification go ahead Sam.

Their status as a program helps, but without Venables, Clemson isn't going that far into the country to get specifically Kansas City/Kansas kids. 

3 hours ago, Treand3 said:

Their status as a program helps, but without Venables, Clemson isn't going that far into the country to get specifically Kansas City/Kansas kids. 

Clemson has the #1 player from 6 different states, they go pretty much wherever the please lol

41 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Clemson has the #1 player from 6 different states, they go pretty much wherever the please lol

That's fair but I wouldn't diminish Venables' connection to that part of the country.

2 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

That's fair but I wouldn't diminish Venables' connection to that part of the country.

I don't disagree, I think Venables is a hell of a coach.