2017 Front Seven Projections

Nose Tackle

1) Damion Daniels ( potential '17 recruit)

2) Deontae Watts ( '17 recruit)

3) Carlos Davis or Khalil Davis

Left D-Tackle

1) M. Stoltenberg

2) Peyton Newell

3) Daishon Neal

4) Ben Stille

Right D-Tackle

1) Carlos Davis

2) Khalil Davis

3) Peyton Newell

WLB

1) Freedom Akinmoladun

2) Sedrick King or AJ Natter

3) Collin Miller or Quayshon Alexander

SLB

1) Marcus Newby

2) Tyrin Ferguson or Robert Barry

4) Luke Gifford

Strong Side MLB

1) Chris Weber

2) Pernell Jefferson

3) Avery Roberts

Weak Side MLB

1) Dedrick Young

2) Greg Simmons

Thoughts? Or projections?

Ideally I'd love to have both Davis twins available for one of the two DT positions, however it makes me immensely nervous to have two true freshmen at the top of the depth chart for such a vital spot. IF one or both of those freshmen could step up to the plate and Davis twins could be used for the DT's I would feel pretty darn confident in our front 7. Yes it's a lot of learning, but I really like the depth we have at those LB's. Don't sleep on Stoltenberg. He is a player made for the 3-4.

I'm going to be very surprised if a true freshman starts at NT. Not saying it won't happen...I'll just be surprised.

I completely agree. My hope, slim as it is, is to somehow keep those Davis twins at the tackle positions where they fit a bit better. They are going to have to have someone that they trust there though like you alluded to and that's probably a Davis twin or Mick.

I'm going to be very surprised if a true freshman starts at NT. Not saying it won't happen...I'll just be surprised.

I don't know. From my understanding the NT is one of the easiest positions to learn and play in as a true freshman. My only concern will be there conditioning.

He would need to be an absolute freak to be strong enough at that age.

I don't know. From my understanding the NT is one of the easiest positions to learn and play in as a true freshman. My only concern will be there conditioning.

He would need to be an absolute freak to be strong enough at that age.

I still think that even with quite a bit of strength, it would be tough for a freshman to come in and take on that level of responsibility. I would be happy to be wrong because that would free up some of our other guys to play other roles, I just don't see it happening.

I could see one of those freshmen coming in to rest the starter though. That I do think is likely. Not as ideal as finding a day one starter, but finding a solid rotation guy would be huge.

Avery Roberts will be a starter from day 1 and Freedom is too slow to play LB.

Davis, Davis, Freedom

Newby, Young, Roberts, Davis/King

Im sure Freedom would be more than fine at the LB position. He kind of reminds me of a Tamba Hali type. And he seems to do well.

There is literally a 0% chance we are starting a 280 pound LB.

• Fire 3

Davis, Davis, Freedom

Im sure Freedom would be more than fine at the LB position. He kind of reminds me of a Tamba Hali type. And he seems to do well.

Mike Riley said yesterday he sees Freedom as a DE in the 3-4.

Davis, Davis, Freedom

Maybe his weight has changed but on the UNI website he is listed at 255. At that weight it maybe easier for him to shed 7-8 lbs than gain 20+ and keep his speed.

Davis, Davis, Freedom

Maybe his weight has changed but on the UNI website he is listed at 255. At that weight it maybe easier for him to shed 7-8 lbs than gain 20+ and keep his speed.

I'd be okay with him being that OLB on the edge rushing. The weight will determine that like you're discussing. Not sure he'd be great in coverage though..

Davis, Davis, Freedom

He told a reporter in the last week that he weighs 280.