Trump Foreign Policy

This is only loosely related to our own foreign policy, but this made me audibly chuckle in shock at the absurdity of the headline.

Oh yeah, Putin is such a humanitarian hero. So much so he says they can't cut off oil to NK. But not quite enough to not bomb the living daylights out of civilians in Syria and prop up a brutal dictator who gases them.

Yeah, humanitarianism. That's what he really cherishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Not so strong from Trump. I thought this made one weak?

Apologizer-in-chief:

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that President Trump called him last week to apologize for the bloody fight between Erdogan’s security and protestors in D.C in May.

Erdogan told PBS NewsHour on Tuesday that Trump had “called me about a week ago about this issue.”

“He said that he was sorry and that he was going to follow up on this issue when we come to the United States within the framework for an official visit,” Erdogan said.

Buzzfeed: Experts Are Stunned By The "Sheer Stupidity" Of Including Chad In The Travel Ban

WASHINGTON — No one seems to know why the Trump administration’s new travel ban includes Chad, a key counterterrorism partner of the US military. Including Chad.

In a move that baffled former State Department officials and Africa security experts, the White House on Sunday extended its travel ban to include the central African nation, a crucial partner to the US and France in fighting extremist groups in the region.

“It makes no sense whatsoever. In fact I wonder if there wasn’t some sort of mistake made,” John Campbell, a former US ambassador to Nigeria, told BuzzFeed News. “It’s an insult. What really gets to me is the apparent sheer stupidity of it.”

On Monday Chad's government said it was “astonished” and “baffled” to find its citizens blacklisted by Trump. Local press reported that the US ambassador was summoned to meet with the prime minister on Monday.

In a statement to local media, Chad’s government said it “invites president Donald Trump to reconsider this decision, which severely tarnishes the image of Chad, and the strong relationship between the two countries, particularly in the fight against terrorism.”

The surprising move raised concerns that the ban could impact the country’s close working relationship with the Pentagon. Chad has been a key US ally in an often-volatile neighborhood that’s bordered by Nigeria, Libya, Niger, Central African Republic, and Sudan — the last of which was on Trump’s previous travel ban list but was removed from this one.

According to Trump's proclamation announcing the ban, US officials determined earlier this year that 16 countries had failed to meet their baseline information-sharing requirements. They were given 50 days to improve, but the Homeland Security Department determined that seven, including Chad, remained “inadequate.”

At the same time, on Sunday the Trump administration lifted travel restrictions on Sudanese nationals, who were covered under the previous ban. An administration official said that Sudanese officials were cooperating with the US, and their "robust" counterterrorism efforts had contributed to its being taken off the list. This further mystified Africa watchers, as the Sudanese government is still designated a state sponsor of terrorism by the US government and has been implicated in genocide during conflicts in the Darfur region.

“I bet the ambassadors and AFRICOM are losing their minds right now, this goes against literally everything we’ve heard for the last three years of engaging with Chad,” said Brandon Kendhammer, a West Africa expert and assistant professor of political science at Ohio University. “It’s totally nuts. ... This morning we were all like, 'what the hell is going on?'”

So we banned an important partner in an unstable region, with a military base of ours, and a key ally in the fight against Boko Haram... but lifted the ban on a country we still think is a state sponsor of terrorism & guilty of genocide?

The ham-handedness of this administration's foreign policy is embarrassing.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wow....220% tariff.  Against a couple of our best allies.

He's just doing a bang up job with the relationship with UK....right?  

Has he ever gone there and visited yet?

To be honest the Bombardier tariff is in our best interest. There were likely to undercut Boeing and get a deal with Delta because of government funding. 220% seems steep, but I'm not too familiar with tariffs. 

This should give us a lot of confidence in Trump's foreign policy in general and towards NK in particular :sarcasm

First we have T-Rex Tillerson saying back channels are open and we are discussing issues wt NK.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/tillerson-nkorea/2017/09/30/id/816804/

The U.S. government is communicating with North Korea to see whether it’s willing to negotiate over its nuclear program, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said, the most explicit public acknowledgment yet of direct contact between the countries over the issue.

"We can talk to them, we do talk to them," Tillerson said Saturday at a briefing in Beijing. Previously the countries have generally communicated through other governments or former officials.

Then, "Here Am I to Sabotage my own Team Trump'  - Trump tweets it is a waste of time to talk directly to NK.  Trump, the orange faced child, actually discusses national security issues

with his SOS over Twitter.   Again Trump shows no aptitude for the office.  He is a one man foreign policy team with zero experience in the area of policy. He cuts his staff at their knees. He will go wt the last guy in the room- whoever gives him the last opinion that makes him feel good - that is what it is. Let's hope Fat Boy doesn't insult Trump the moment the generals walk into the oval office. 

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/trump-says-tillerson-talks/2017/10/01/id/816919/

Amid Secretary of State Rex Tillerson's direct diplomatic negotiations with North Korea this weekend, President Donald Trump tweeted doubt diplomacy with "Little Rocket Man" is anything more than a "waste of time."

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump Oct 1

I told Rex Tillerson, our wonderful Secretary of State, that he is wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man...

32,913 replies 23,591 retweets 89,727 likes

•  

...Save your energy Rex, we'll do what has to be done!