Trump Foreign Policy

In another CF move,  Trump has riled up another whole area of the world by one simple proclamation -- Trump says he will move the embassy to Jerusalem. 

This has friends and foes up in arms from Turkey to Saudi Arabia.  So much for his early 2017 feel good Middle East tour.  He just destroyed it with this ill advised

move.  Yes the Israel loves it and I would support it myself in principle AT THE RIGHT TIME but this isn't the right time.   The idiot should work on the

peace process first and then use the embassy move as a bone thrown to Israel to counter a  concession given to the Palestine leaders.    So much for being the

great negotiator - you've played away one of the biggest chips before you needed to.    (Such a bad move I wonder if Putin is pulling the strings in order to increase Russian influence in the area. :o)

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/ml-trump-jerusalem/2017/12/06/id/830149/

While Israel welcomed the news, Palestinian officials declared the Mideast peace process "finished" and Turkey announced it would host a meeting of Islamic nations next week to give Muslim countries' leaders an opportunity to coordinate a response.

The harsh global reaction cast questions about the feasibility of a brewing U.S. peace plan that is expected to be presented by the White House in the near future.

The Palestinians seek east Jerusalem as the capital of a future independent state and fear that Trump's declaration essentially imposes on them a disastrous solution for one of the core issues in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

"There is no way that there can be talks with the Americans. The peace process is finished. They have already pre-empted the outcome," said Palestinian official Hanan Ashrawi. "They cannot take us for granted."

The U.S. decision "destroys the peace process," added Palestinian Prime Minister Rami Hamdallah. Top Palestinian officials were meeting Wednesday to plot their course forward.

Edited by TGHusker
  • Plus1 1
On 12/5/2017 at 0:30 AM, dudeguyy said:

I know I post on here quite a bit - probably a bit too much - and there's a tendency to get hyperbolic about news stories as if they're all equally groundbreaking.

I feel I can safely say, without hyperbole, that this is the most f$#*ing insane story I've read in a long while. This is completely nutso.

Just look at the first paragraph:

The CIA director is actively encouraging a program to form an extra-legal network of spies to circumvent... his own agency, whom he apparently doesn't trust.

They're enlisting Ollie North (yes, THAT Ollie North) to "lend credibility" to the project.

Covert ops, privatized - meaning they report only to Pompeo and Trump & share nothing with the rest of the CIA or any other intel agency.

And Prince's partner, John MaGuire? Apparently ex-CIA, but here's this gem he's pitched to Trump donor's looking for funding (pre-CIA involvement):

Seems like a stable guy.

There's just so dang much to unpack. What the heck is even going on with this story? I feel like I'm reading the Onion. But the Intercept is legit.

I know I throw out this comparison a lot, but designing a parallel, off-the-books spy network to subvert the CIA & try to snuff out "deep state enemies" is some Nixon-level paranoia.

Dude - this action alone should be impeachment material. This is very dangerous, sets a very bad precedence and is set up for no good reason other than to protect a president with Nixon like (or worse) paranoia as your post noted.   You know I'd rather our country become 100% Democrat in the Senate, House and WH and maintain constitutional rule of law vs going down this path of protecting  a psyco republican president.  I'd rather take the excesses of liberalism (and I say that as a moderate conservative) than go down the path of the alt-right, fascism,  and neo-nazi like behavior of this president.  Strong words for someone who has voted Repub in presidential elections since 1976. (I've voted for dems in state, local, and federal elections however - and will probably do so again in the next election)

Edited by TGHusker
  • Plus1 3
46 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

yes - what could go wrong with that :dunno:sarcasm.  I wonder if they have a special name for it like ....   Subversive Service

that comparison is much better than mine.   the brownshirts were the guys beating up protesters at hitler/trump rallys.   the subversive service would take on the ss role better than the brownshirts did/would

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Dude - this action alone should be impeachment material. This is very dangerous, sets a very bad precedence and is set up for no good reason other than to protect a president with Nixon like (or worse) paranoia as your post noted.   You know I'd rather our country become 100% Democrat in the Senate, House and WH and maintain constitutional rule of law vs going down this path of protecting  a psyco republican president.  I'd rather take the excesses of liberalism (and I say that as a moderate conservative) than go down the path of the alt-right, fascism,  and neo-nazi like behavior of this president.  Strong words for someone who has voted Repub in presidential elections since 1976. (I've voted for dems in state, local, and federal elections however - and will probably do so again in the next election)

Bravo, man. Well said. I just want to get back to both parties being healthy instead of this insane march to doom the current GOP seems to be doing behind Trump. We need independent, responsible minds in Congress, not craven yes men (and women) out solely to maintain power and their Congressional paycheck.

I'd take Pence in a heartbeat. Then instead of worrying about the sheer moral soul of America disintegrating by the day I could just complain about how awful his policies are. :P

Also, on the story I posted, I should point out for those who don't know that Erik Prince's company, Blackwater, had a long and murky history of playing very fast and loose with accountability and human life in their private security ventures around the world.

Also he is the brother of current Secretary of Ed Betsy Devos. They were both born into massive wealth, being children of the dude who founded Amway.

No kidding. The guy likes playing commando, that's for sure. The lack of oversight with his "teams" and with the entire concept in general is really pretty disturbing.

That other story you posted on Israel is kind of a huge deal. I'm not sure the U.S. attempting to fork Jerusalem over to Israel is the best route to peace in the Middle East. I really think Trump is going to regret this decision. Just needlessly stirring the pot.

On the other hand, how could you NOT trust THIS GUY?!

people-are-ragging-on-jared-kushner-for-

20 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

Looks like the adults in the room didn't want to go down this road. I'm guessing Trump sided with Kushner, Sheldon Adelson and the corrupt Bibi Netanyahu.

The adults better take charge of this mess very soon, including Pence and Kelly besides Mattis and Tillerson.  Speaker Ryan tweeted in favor of the announcement - so no help there. Trump acting as the lone wolf of  foreign policy is destroying all credibility.  So when does he unilaterally announce the war against NK?  He has ticked off England, the whole MidEast, insulted and then caved into China, has a twitter war wt Fat Boy, ticks off our partners in Canada and Mexico over trade (haven't heard much on that lately - we ran a Yuge traded deficit this last month. )

• Plus1 1