Trump Foreign Policy

After China retaliates, Trump claims there's no trade war

As U.S. stock futures plummet Wednesday morning on the news that China has responded to U.S. tariffs by targeting autos, chemicals, planes, soybeans and whiskey, President Trump denied the existence of a trade war — though he claimed just last month that "trade wars are good, and easy to win."

Edited by TGHusker
  • Plus1 1

Larry Kudlow on tariffs: Blame China, not Trump

President Trump's new chief economic advisor, Larry Kudlow, told Fox Business Channel on Wednesday that the economic standoff between the United States and China is "absolutely not" a trade war, adding that people should "blame China, not President Trump."

"Trump is really the first president to fight back ... this stuff is not just unfair — it's unlawful ... Every country in the world knows this ... There's no trade war here. What you've got is the early stages of a process that will include tariffs, comments on the tariffs, then ultimate decisions and negotiations. There's already backchannel talks going on."

Axios has video of Fox Business giving cover to Trump with this interview wt Kudlow.

Yep. Beyond the comparatively minor $3B tariffs announced earlier on pork and fruits, they just announced a new round mirroring our announced $50B tariffs on many Chinese products. It turns out that when you slap another superpower, they slap back.

This is going to hurt Trump voter. Maybe they'll finally wake up.

2 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Yep. Beyond the comparatively minor $3B tariffs announced earlier on pork and fruits, they just announced a new round mirroring our announced $50B tariffs on many Chinese products. It turns out that when you slap another superpower, they slap back.

This is going to hurt Trump voter. Maybe they'll finally wake up.

Check out what Hog and Cattle futures have done recently.

I'm really wondering how much these Trump voters are going to be willing to lose and for how long before they start realizing he's an idiot and hurting them.

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh. So there can be repercussions to electing someone the rest of the world hates? Or the rest of the world finds completely unpredictable and dangerous?

Not saying our number one goal should be to elect someone other countries like, but having someone with a brain who doesn't make a mockery of the country or make rash decisions based on a whim should be near the top of the list.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I read today trump wants a timeline for when US troops will be pulled out of Syria. Remember when republicans lost their minds when Obama set a date to withdraw from iraq? Im sure republicans will be just as critical of their leader. 

Probably just wants to let the russians and turks know when they can slaughter the whole country without the risk of hitting our troops.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What is more likely:  Trump's base will see this as a reason to try to reign him in?  Or, this will entrench them even deeper into believing that Trump is someone America needs to tell China to "get bent!"?

I have a feeling it will more often be the latter..... 

4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

What is more likely:  Trump's base will see this as a reason to try to reign him in?  Or, this will entrench them even deeper into believing that Trump is someone America needs to tell China to "get bent!"?

I agree it will probably be the latter, but his base will shrink at the same time.

14 minutes ago, funhusker said:

It will be a blend of all the above.

However, the longer it goes with farmers losing money because of this, the former will grow compared to the latter.  At least that's the logical way it should go.....but......we are talking about Trump supporters.  

9 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I agree it will probably be the latter, but his base will shrink at the same time.

I've seen a lot of the latter from certain segments of the Trump base ("China is ripping us off, even if it isn't perfect, at least he's doing something"), but at the same time, the farmers and ag workers of the Midwest are going to have to live with the ramifications of his trade decisions.

Based on ag radio yesterday and what I've read, they're none too happy. If it's enough for Pete Ricketts to crawl out of his rock and call some Trump people, you know it's bad for Nebraska.

• Plus1 1