Trump Foreign Policy

9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So....buy our beans and you can spy on us. 

"The Great Negotiator" got such a sweet deal.  Not only will China continue to buy exactly what they were buying before, but now they also get to what they wanted in electronic components and intel....

And people will think he got a sweet deal because he got China to buy ag products again :facepalm:

• Plus1 3

It just is amazing to me that we move our embassy to Jerusalem and when we have the grand opening, we send three people who are not official representatives of the US government (let alone the State Department).  Two of them have no security clearance and the other has preached that jewish people are going to hell.

And...it seems like people act like this is some how normal.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I wonder why some of our friendly neighborhood HuskerBoarders aren't in this thread commenting about these things?  You know the ones I'm talking about. Where are they? 

Why bother?  You know this den of liberal thought would have been fine with it if Hillary was the one doing it....

:sarcasm

• Plus1 2

On 5/14/2018 at 10:08 PM, BigRedBuster said:

So....buy our beans and you can spy on us. 

Good article on the above.  Points out how this is a great deal for China and how the "Great Negotiator" caved.  How can Trump who removed the US from the 'bad Iran deal' justify

this kind of bad deal with China?    he can't.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-cuts-a-great-dealfor-china?ref=author

On 5/15/2018 at 10:51 PM, BigRedBuster said:

From the article this quote.  If we ever thought the Clinton's were using govt to enrich themselves, it may prove to be small potatoes by the time Trump is done.  This ZTE deal smells like rotten fish big time.  I wonder what China and Russia have on Trump?  Maybe  they don't need anything if he is just content on enriching himself and his business interests at the expense of the American people.  Kind of hard to be a touch negotiator when you are in bed with the people you  are negotiating with.

China’s top economic official, Vice-Premier Liu He, heads to Washington next week for another round of negotiations over the hot-button issue of the huge imbalance in trade between the two countries.

Richard Painter, who was an ethics lawyer for former US President George W. Bush, said the project was “problematic” and could violate a US constitutional emolument clause if Chinese government funds create profits for the Trump hotel.

“I would have advised him to sell the hotel and other similar holdings,” Painter said.

The Trump Organisation and MNC signed deals in 2015 for Lido and a Bali project, resulting in almost US$3.7 million in licensing and consulting payments for the Trump Organisation, according to MNC’s most recent annual report.

The Trump company will also earn management fees for operating the projects and be eligible for additional unspecified incentives.

https://www.britannica.com/story/what-is-the-emoluments-clause

The emoluments clause, also called the foreign emoluments clause, is a provision of the U.S. Constitution (Article I, Section 9, Paragraph 8) that generally prohibits federal officeholders from receiving any gift, payment, or other thing of value from a foreign state or its rulers, officers, or representatives. The clause provides that:No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

The Constitution also contains a “domestic emoluments clause” (Article II, Section 1, Paragraph 6), which prohibits the president from receiving any “Emolument” from the federal government or the states beyond “a Compensation” for his “Services” as chief executive.

The plain purpose of the foreign emoluments clause was to ensure that the country’s leaders would not be improperly influenced, even unconsciously, through gift giving, then a common and generally corrupt practice among European rulers and diplomats. An early version of the clause, modeled on a rule adopted by the Dutch Republic in 1651 that forbade its foreign ministers from receiving “any presents, directly or indirectly, in any manner or way whatever,” was incorporated into the Articles of Confederation (1781) as Article VI, Paragraph I: Nor shall any person holding any office of profit or trust under the United States, or any of them, accept any present, emolument, office or title of any kind whatever from any King, Prince or foreign State; nor shall the United States in Congress assembled, or any of them, grant any title of nobility.