Trump Foreign Policy

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

This is a dream come true for Putin. He can't have possibly imagined things would work out this well. What Trump said applies to lots of areas of former soviet states. 

By that same logic, it's fine if we're invaded by England because we speak English and a lot of us like England.

Reverse that, WE get to invade the UK because THEY speak some bungled version of english and they don't want to be a part of the EU anymore.

Seems like we can go take the British now! Hahahahahahaha! chuckleshuffle

56 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Reverse that, WE get to invade the UK because THEY speak some bungled version of english and they don't want to be a part of the EU anymore.

Seems like we can go take the British now! Hahahahahahaha! chuckleshuffle

Cannot. They don't speak American! We speak English. We are the ones in danger.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

This is a dream come true for Putin. He can't have possibly imagined things would work out this well. What Trump said applies to lots of areas of former soviet states. 

By that same logic, it's fine if we're invaded by England because we speak English and a lot of us like England.

much of canada speaks english and they are much closer and it's time we end the maple menace.  canada first!

OK....so...Trump has renewed fears of trade wars and the markets are not taking kindly to this.  So....I did a little calculating.

Let's say you are a farmer with 1000 acres of beans and 1000 acres of corn.  A lot of farms are that size.

With what has happened in those two markets in just the last three weeks, you would have lost $170,000 in value for this year's crop.

How long will farmers keep supporting this idiot?  And, there's a lot of farms bigger than this.

Another thing to look at with this.  China has zero motivation to buy American crops right now.  If they hold off till 2020, there's a chance Trump is voted out of office because the farmer vote will not support him if they are losing money.  China will gladly negotiate with the next President no matter who it is.

What an absolute embarrassment. All because they feel like Israel has things too tough. It's not really the U.N.'s fault that Bibi Netanyahu runs as corrupt a ship as Trump does stateside. 

This is just cutting our nose off to spite our face. Continuing to retreat from our leadership on the world stage. We may well risk superpower status under Trump.

• Plus1 1

To @KnappIc, point yes, not only does the US consume far more, but we do so always looking for the cheapest products.

I remember a poll that was taken (tried to find it to post here but couldn't) where Trump supporters were asked two questions:

1. Do you want to buy products made in America?  Majority said yes.

2. Are you willing to pay more for those products?  Majority said no.

This is why, I think, the US will lose any trade war, be it with China or any other country.  We simply cannot produce goods at a cost which allows us to compete with countries like China, Indonesia, Mexico, Malaysia, et al.  Those countries have pools of almost slave labor who are forced to work for pennies.  

2 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

To @KnappIc, point yes, not only does the US consume far more, but we do so always looking for the cheapest products.

I remember a poll that was taken (tried to find it to post here but couldn't) where Trump supporters were asked two questions:

1. Do you want to buy products made in America?  Majority said yes.

2. Are you willing to pay more for those products?  Majority said no.

This is why, I think, the US will lose any trade war, be it with China or any other country.  We simply cannot produce goods at a cost which allows us to compete with countries like China, Indonesia, Mexico, Malaysia, et al.  Those countries have pools of almost slave labor who are forced to work for pennies.  

That's one of the biggest issue that needs to be figured out with globalization. How to normalize wages/labor costs, and make subsidized industries more equal. If Trump we're actually a smart man he would be trying to figure that out rather than throwing a tantrum.

Yes, I said globalization. No, it's not stopping, you protectionists, despite Trump's best efforts. The world will march forward without us. Progress, while sometime taking steps backwards will always be net forward.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, ZRod said:

That's one of the biggest issue that needs to be figured out with globalization. How to normalize wages/labor costs, and subsidized make subsidized industries more equal. If Trump we're actually a smart man he would be trying to figure that out rather than throwing a tantrum.

Yes, I said globalization. No, it's not stopping, you protectionists, despite Trump's best efforts. The world will march forward without us. Progress, while sometime taking steps backwards will always be net forward.

I don't disagree.  But what you said opens up even more problems...

The company I work for is a wholesale/distribution company and we get probably half to two-thirds of all our inventory from China.  The people who think Trump is doing the right thing by starting a trade war with China are clearly not seeing the bigger picture or the ramifications of their short-sighted, "America first" rhetoric.  The problem is, the CEO and executives of my company have two choices: 1) simply pay the increased tarrifs on what they import from China, or 2) find American made inventory.  No matter what, the net result is way higher costs for average Americans.  I realize my company is just one instance, but it is a great case study on why America will lose a trade war with China.

And about your globalization point...that is true.  However, Trump supporters tend to view globalization through racial and ethic lenses as a "darkening" of America.  White racists, and those sympathetic to the white-nationalist agenda, use globalization and diversity as strawmen to stoke fears that whites are being marginalized.  The immense irony of course is that Trump himself is a globalist who has business interests in many foreign countries.

7 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The company I work for is a wholesale/distribution company and we get probably half to two-thirds of all our inventory from China.  The people who think Trump is doing the right thing by starting a trade war with China are clearly not seeing the bigger picture or the ramifications of their short-sighted, "America first" rhetoric.  The problem is, the CEO and executives of my company have two choices: 1) simply pay the increased tarrifs on what they import from China, or 2) find American made inventory.  No matter what, the net result is way higher costs for average Americans.  I realize my company is just one instance, but it is a great case study on why America will lose a trade war with China.

And about your globalization point...that is true.  However, Trump supporters tend to view globalization through racial and ethic lenses as a "darkening" of America.  White racists, and those sympathetic to the white-nationalist agenda, use globalization and diversity as strawmen to stoke fears that whites are being marginalized.  The immense irony of course is that Trump himself is a globalist who has business interests in many foreign countries.

To the bolded -  to throw out a guess, a big reason we can't and will never compete with China when it comes to manufacturing (or a trade ware due to trade deficit) is because our labor laws are more humanitarian. I would hope they've improved by now but in the past there has been child labor, extremely long work hours, dangerous conditions, and low wages. We can't compete with those costs for obvious reasons.

34 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

If we're concerned about higher prices doesn't that mean there are abnormalities elsewhere too? You would think that there would be a balance between wages and prices. Obviously things will flux, but like the stock market there would be a corrections that occur to normalize things.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

To the bolded -  to throw out a guess, a big reason we can't and will never compete with China when it comes to manufacturing (or a trade ware due to trade deficit) is because our labor laws are more humanitarian.  I would hope they've improved by now but in the past there has been child labor, extremely long work hours, dangerous conditions, and low wages. We can't compete with those costs for obvious reasons.

You are correct.  And your points about child-labor, long hours, extremely low pay, sweatshops, lack of worker safety, etc as additional reasons why America would lose any trade war are spot on.

23 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

What an absolute embarrassment. All because they feel like Israel has things too tough. It's not really the U.N.'s fault that Bibi Netanyahu runs as corrupt a ship as Trump does stateside. 

This is just cutting our nose off to spite our face. Continuing to retreat from our leadership on the world stage. We may well risk superpower status under Trump.

I mean, how hypocritical would it be to separate children from their parents at the border while being on a human rights council? Better stop doing one so we can have our conscience cleared.

• Plus1 3