Trump Foreign Policy

16 hours ago, TheSker said:

Is there a plaque or trophy for "world leader"?

I don't even know what qualifies a country for that title.

.....other that maybe world's largest open checkbook.

Donald Trump ran and continues to run on Make America Great Again, something that apparently resonated with voters.

But you'd be hard pressed to find an era of American greatness where we didn't embrace world leadership, alliance-building, and big spending,  We generally prided ourselves on Presidents who didn't insult whomever they wanted. That world leadership title we briefly enjoyed was from looking out for the underdog, something of a rarity with global superpowers.

You're right about the EU, though. It's got big problems of its own and is facing a wave of nationalism similar to what Trump exploited. It probably won't turn out well, based on a couple thousand years of history. 

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The insults matter, but even if you think they don't, why doesn't he insult Russia or Putin?

have to wait for their lovers spat for that to happen.  then he will have the biggliest insults.  many are saying so.

I can't believe we have to even explain this.  :facepalm:

But, the reason why insults matter is that even though this administration is negotiating directly with the leader of the other country, you have to win over the population of that country for anything to work.  

If the British people are pissed off at America and Trump because of Trump going on a third grade twitter spat with a bunch of made up crap about them, the leader is going to be much less likely to agree to anything with Trump....because they will be under pressure from their own population to tell us to F ourselves.

This is such an elementary concept that it's idiotic it even needs to be explained.

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I know people who love how Trump says whatever's on his mind, but sometimes I can get them to agree that if their adolescent child Tweeted like the President, they would take his or her phone away. 

This is what gets me.

Yeah, he's himself & speaks his mind. But it's always BS to pander to whoever is in front of him at the moment. And like you mentioned people would probably freak out if they saw their children doing or saying things he does & says.

13 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

This is what gets me.

Yeah, he's himself & speaks his mind. But it's always BS to pander to whoever is in front of him at the moment. And like you mentioned people would probably freak out if they saw their children doing or saying things he does & says.

Of course it's to pander to his crowd.

Two things Trump is really pretty good at is marketing a message and attracting an audience.

7 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Donald Trump ran and continues to run on Make America Great Again, something that apparently resonated with voters.

But you'd be hard pressed to find an era of American greatness where we didn't embrace world leadership, alliance-building, and big spending,  We generally prided ourselves on Presidents who didn't insult whomever they wanted. That world leadership title we briefly enjoyed was from looking out for the underdog, something of a rarity with global superpowers.

You're right about the EU, though. It's got big problems of its own and is facing a wave of nationalism similar to what Trump exploited. It probably won't turn out well, based on a couple thousand years of history. 

I agree.

Make America Great Again is turning out to be good messaging by Trump.

I also agree that our history has seen us be alliance builders and big spenders.  I think where Trump's message is finding success is the equivalent of needing to put on your own oxygen mask before helping others.

Other countries have caught up or surpassed us as producers.  We are a huge global consumer......and that isn't a positive for the ol' checkbook.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I can't believe we have to even explain this.  :facepalm:

But, the reason why insults matter is that even though this administration is negotiating directly with the leader of the other country, you have to win over the population of that country for anything to work.  

If the British people are pissed off at America and Trump because of Trump going on a third grade twitter spat with a bunch of made up crap about them, the leader is going to be much less likely to agree to anything with Trump....because they will be under pressure from their own population to tell us to F ourselves.

This is such an elementary concept that it's idiotic it even needs to be explained.

It probably doesn't. People have just convinced themselves anything is ok if the president is a member of their party. It's absolutely insane the level of mental gymnastics people go through to think all of this is fine.

What we really need is an army of psychologists.

33 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I agree.

Make America Great Again is turning out to be good messaging by Trump.

I also agree that our history has seen us be alliance builders and big spenders.  I think where Trump's message is finding success is the equivalent of needing to put on your own oxygen mask before helping others.

Other countries have caught up or surpassed us as producers.  We are a huge global consumer......and that isn't a positive for the ol' checkbook.

who has caught up or surpassed the US?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/268173/countries-with-the-largest-gross-domestic-product-gdp/