Trump Foreign Policy

5 minutes ago, TheSker said:

GDP is a measure of the SIZE of an economy.

Of course we're at the top with countries like China.  They also have a BIG economy.

you said "Other countries have caught up or surpassed us as producers"   now you say "Of course we're at the top "    :dunno

7 minutes ago, commando said:

you said "Other countries have caught up or surpassed us as producers"   now you say "Of course we're at the top "    :dunno

If you care and/or are interested, look at a global consumer index and notice the difference between the US and other countries, including China.

2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

If you care and/or are interested, look at a global consumer index and notice the difference between the US and other countries, including China.

so when you said they have surpassed us as producers you meant we consumed more than them....not that they outproduced us.   hard to follow your posting when you mean the opposite of what you say.

9 minutes ago, commando said:

so when you said they have surpassed us as producers you meant we consumed more than them....not that they outproduced us.   hard to follow your posting when you mean the opposite of what you say.

We have one of the largest economies in the world.

How is our financial health?

Why?

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, TheSker said:

I agree.

Make America Great Again is turning out to be good messaging by Trump.

I also agree that our history has seen us be alliance builders and big spenders.  I think where Trump's message is finding success is the equivalent of needing to put on your own oxygen mask before helping others.

Other countries have caught up or surpassed us as producers.  We are a huge global consumer......and that isn't a positive for the ol' checkbook.

I'm confused.

If you agree with that post, then you agree that this isn't a positive development, just good messaging sold to less discerning voters.

btw....while everyone else is putting on their oxygen masks, Donald Trump is in a private jet fleeing the s#!tstorm he set in motion.

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm confused.

If you agree with that post, then you agree that this isn't a positive development, just good messaging sold to less discerning voters.

btw....while everyone else is putting on their oxygen masks, Donald Trump is in a private jet fleeing the s#!tstorm he set in motion.

It is good messaging.

"Less discerning voters" simply means you believe your view is superior to those who vote differently than you.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

"Less discerning voters" simply means you believe your view is superior to those who vote differently than you.

You are right about that.  I'm fukking pissed about those who voted differently than me. The damage being done to America right now is unprecedented. The rationale of Trump apologists is is despicable. 

• Plus1 4

Sorry if my reply was more angry than it was specific.

Just to clear it up:

"Build The Wall!" is good messaging if you are playing to people who use immigration to blame for a myriad of self-inflicted ills.  There's a long unhappy history of this strategy going wrong. What's more, a 2,000 mile border wall makes no economic sense and wouldn't pass any legitimate cost to benefit study we'd expect from businessmen entrusted to run the government.

It's bulls#!t.

"America First!" is good messaging in the same way that "Me First!" sounds great to a three-year old, and since that's the way Trump is playing it, it will actually hurt America.

It's bulls#!t.

"Lying Hillary and Lock Her Up!" is good messaging if you have a higher ethical standard that your opponent.

It's bulls#!t.

"Make America Great Again" is good messaging if you know when America was great and why. Donald Trump's tweets, utterances, and commands suggest he wouldn't pass the U.S. civics test required of immigrants for citizenship. 

It's bulls#!t. 

"Fake News" is brilliant messaging if you want to discredit the facts being thrown back in your face. 

It's bulls#!t.

Basically Donald Trump's messaging is the cheapest brand of red meat you can throw at people who are determined to be angry and unlikely to fact check you.

• Plus1 5
21 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The insults matter, but even if you think they don't, why doesn't he insult Russia or Putin?

:o Pray-tell Moiraine - why doesn't he insult Putin:dunno   (This is called a softball question - sets you up for a home run:))

33 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Sorry if my reply was more angry than it was specific.

Just to clear it up:

"Build The Wall!" is good messaging if you are playing to people who use immigration to blame for a myriad of self-inflicted ills.  There's a long unhappy history of this strategy going wrong. What's more, a 2,000 mile border wall makes no economic sense and wouldn't pass any legitimate cost to benefit study we'd expect from businessmen entrusted to run the government.

It's bulls#!t.

"America First!" is good messaging in the same way that "Me First!" sounds great to a three-year old, and since that's the way Trump is playing it, it will actually hurt America.

It's bulls#!t.

"Lying Hillary and Lock Her Up!" is good messaging if you have a higher ethical standard that your opponent.

It's bulls#!t.

"Make America Great Again" is good messaging if you know when America was great and why. Donald Trump's tweets, utterances, and commands suggest he wouldn't pass the U.S. civics test required of immigrants for citizenship. 

It's bulls#!t. 

"Fake News" is brilliant messaging if you want to discredit the facts being thrown back in your face. 

It's bulls#!t.

Basically Donald Trump's messaging is the cheapest brand of red meat you can throw at people who are determined to be angry and unlikely to fact check you.

Angry AND less discerning.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Angry AND less discerning.

Yup. Although that's putting it mildly. There are a lot worse words for people who support racist sexists who turn on our allies and shower our adversaries with compliments and say it's ok they invaded their neighbors because they speak the same language.