Trump Foreign Policy

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The tariffs are hitting some people hard.  Examples are the ones that need to buy imported aluminum and steel.  Farmers aren't being hit hard yet with the nose dive of commodity prices because the crops are still in the field.  Some have already forward sold their crops before the nose dive.  The rest won't feel the pain till they actually sell their crops this winter.

The economy actually is doing very well and it's not just at the Wall Street level.  This good economy started building about 8-9 years ago.  We have seen it continue over 18 months of the Trump administration.  The fear is that what he is doing with tariffs and trade will eventually destroy what has been building.

Companies buy back stock for a few different reasons.  You bring up some good points in that they usually do it when they feel the stock is undervalued and have extra cash.  

Consider it like paying down a line of credit.  If they have a big project in the future or need to raise capital because of hard times, they need to have stock to sell.  So, many companies will buy back stocks in times like this so they have the reserve of stocks to sell in the future.  Hopefully, they buy them back at a relatively cheap price.

I'm not as outraged about the stock buybacks as some because I look at it as a normal financial transaction companies use to secure their ability to raise capital when needed.  We are also seeing wages rise due to the tight labor market.

You gotta love Republican's fiscal conservatism....don't ya???

Nailed it on the head. I wish more people could see the economy for what it is and not let politics get in the way. The economy slowly climbed higher through all of Obama's run and has done well through Trump's first 18 months, even with his outlandish twitter mantra. He could easily reverse that trend if he doesn't get his head out of his ass and this is coming from someone that has leaned far right his entire life, but as I am getting older it is hard to associate with a single party these days. I find some traits / ideas of both parties attractive, while at the same time cannot stand behind others.

As for the buy-back, trust me, I have spent far too much time learning about that stuff haha. Not only in undergrad, but through the CFA program, and in my day-to-day job.

18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think the allies have a pretty good bead on Trump. They'll be ready and willing to work with us when we elect a sane leader again.

So...basically, he has proven he's a blowhard empty suit.

The week before the meetings, he's angrily throwing around threats and spewing inaccurate accusations towards our allies.

THEN...when he's with them, he's "charming" and comes out claiming victory because they "agreed" to spend more on defense.

Ummm.....they already had agreed to spend more even before this meeting.

37 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think the allies have a pretty good bead on Trump. They'll be ready and willing to work with us when we elect a sane leader again.

All I can think of is Drunk Uncle from SNL and it fits him to a f**king T

giphy.gif

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Welcome to (perhaps) fractured relations within the NATO alliance.

God bless the Trump supporters who would rather have a little more cash than staunch allies.  Who needs allies, amirite?

This type of crap would get you fired from a Dunkin' Donuts. What an embarrassment. It never ceases to amaze me what people are willing to excuse from our president that they wouldn't accept from a teenager making minimum wage in a part-time position.

34 minutes ago, GSG said:

All I can think of is Drunk Uncle from SNL and it fits him to a f**king T

giphy.gif

Drunk Uncle rules! That bit is hilarious. I miss Moynihan on SNL.

• Plus1 2

For Trump:

NATO Allies who have stood by us for decades (and many for centuries) = Bad

North Korea, who has killed 100,000's of American servicemen and is actively flouting American peace efforts = Good

Way to go, MAGA folks.  This is your president.

• Plus1 3

18 hours ago, knapplc said:

For Trump:

NATO Allies who have stood by us for decades (and many for centuries) = Bad

North Korea, who has killed 100,000's of American servicemen and is actively flouting American peace efforts = Good

Way to go, MAGA folks.  This is your president.

I honestly wouldn’t put it past him to make up the translation.

”Your Excellency”. What a crock of s#!t.