Trump Foreign Policy

8 hours ago, ZRod said:

Despite most of our reservations Rex seemed like a good person trying to do the right thing. Those kind of people will be eaten alive in this administration. Whether or not he was qualified for his post is another debate, but I appreciate him standing up.

I never had a problem with him like some did because of his previous job. 

As as it turns out, he was a string enough person to be more than just a yes man yo Trump and he was trying to go some good things. 

Trump doesnt like that characteristic. 

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hey....his office hours are from noon till 3:00pm.  If those other world leaders can't be awake during those hours...that's their problem.  The man has a busy schedule he has to work around.

It did say he was willing to take their calls day or night.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick note - I agree with Mr. Flair in the above post. Important to point out when we can agree these days.

This is the actual post I'm making.

WELP.

Not sure how I feel about this being leaked. Whether I agree with Trump's tactics or not, somehow his off-the-record conversation with an American news outlet was leaked to a foreign news outlet. That information was given to members of a foreign government negotiating with the American government on trade, and it didn't go well.

Here's the thread unrolled if you want to read it this way. Or click on the tweet and read it in situ.

Trump told Bloomberg he isn't compromising at all with Canada but can't say this publicly since it'd ruin the talks: “Here's the problem...The answer’s no. If I say no, then you’re going to put that, and it’s going to be so insulting they’re not going to be able to make a deal."
Trump also said off the record that any deal would be “totally on our terms.”
Trump said he is scaring Canada into submission by repeatedly threatening auto tariffs, showing the Canadians “a picture of a Chevrolet Impala,” which is assembled at the GM plant in Oshawa, Ontario.
What happened: I obtained these quotes. I'm not bound by Bloomberg's "off the record" promises. I asked the White House and the Trudeau team for comment. The Trudeau team, which is certain the quotes are accurate, sprung them on Trump's team at the meeting this morning.
White House hasn't disputed the authenticity of the quotes but suggested I shouldn't publish. Deputy Press Sec Lindsay Walters said, “If this was said, it was said in an off the record capacity. I understand you guys have obtained it; I’m not sure where you’ve obtained it from.”
The Canadian team won't comment on what has happened at this morning's meeting, but the White House has made clear to me that the comments were indeed raised.
The Canadian side was complaining to me about the Trump team showing no flexibility even before I asked them for comment this morning on the Trump quotes. They see the quotes as confirmation of suspicions that the Trump team isn't working to make a win-win deal today.
So...we'll see what happens, but Trump is right that such comments make it harder for the Canadian side to make a deal with him. It's also interesting to me that he was concerned enough about the diplomacy here to go off the record - we know he often just says stuff.
Finally, a caveat: we know that Trump brags all the time that he is dominating negotiations, making weak opponents cave to his wishes -- so the U.S. might actually be compromising and Trump was just blustering to impress Bloomberg. But the U.S. might indeed not be compromising.
This is possible but I am doubtful. The White House very much did not want this published.
Trump spokes Walters is now telling me her comments were off the record, which they weren't. This is the official WH comment, which does not deny the Trump quotes: "The Canadian and American negotiators continue to work on reaching a win-win deal that benefits both countries.”

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

WELP.

Not sure how I feel about this being leaked. Whether I agree with Trump's tactics or not, somehow his off-the-record conversation with an American news outlet was leaked to a foreign news outlet. That information was given to members of a foreign government negotiating with the American government on trade, and it didn't go well.

He's playing games to try to reinforce his own BS narrative the media is the enemy.

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...