knapplc

The Republican Utopia

Republicans to kill U.S. rules on corruption, environment, labor and guns next week

Under the Congressional Review Act, Congress can use simple majority votes to stop recent regulations in their tracks. The timing in the law means that any rules that became final after May 31 could go on the chopping block.

House of Representatives Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, the second-most powerful Republican in the chamber, had said he would start using that law quickly after President Donald Trump was inaugurated to help roll back regulations the party considers abusive. House Republicans have been on a blitz of regulatory reform, passing bills to drive down regulations' costs and create more congressional oversight.

tl;dr: The Republicans want to make it:

Easier to get guns

Harder to report government ethics violations

Easier for companies to pollute and harder to report it or get information about it

Harder to understand the relationships between businesses and government officials vis a vis the fees they pay to get mineral exploration rights

In short, the Republicans are using simple majority measures to expand corruption, pollution and malfeasance and at the same time make it much harder for the citizens to learn what they're doing.

Exactly, BRB. Our system of government works best with checks & balances. An unchecked political party will run amok. We're seeing evidence of that right here, right now. Chicago is kinda another example of an unchecked political party. Chicago city government is synonymous with corruption. But who's there to keep the Democrats in check?

Our capacity for discernment is truly eroding. BRI and BRB have rapidly become indistinguishable from one another. JJ is now ED.

Not to make light of these dark times. I keep going back to redistricting as the root of this turn for the GOP. The sheer scope of the gerrymandering seems to make the idea of accountability quite a laugh.

Exactly, BRB. Our system of government works best with checks & balances. An unchecked political party will run amok. We're seeing evidence of that right here, right now. Chicago is kinda another example of an unchecked political party. Chicago city government is synonymous with corruption. But who's there to keep the Democrats in check?

I love it when you agree with me.

I love it when you agree with me.

I agree with nearly everything you write in the football forum.

This is why I don't like one party being completely in control of anything.................good lord. :facepalm:

...didn't you vote for this?

Congressional Republicans are set to overturn a slew of Obama-era regulations next week, including a controversial anti-bribery rule aimed at U.S. resource companies such as Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM.N) and Chevron Corp (CVX.N), according to a top lawmaker.

The wall swamp just got ten feet higher. :hmmph:

But many Republicans will look the other way because Democrats are baby-murderers. I think for many of them the Republicans could literally do anything at all as long as they hold out the abortion carrot.

I have always found it interesting that Trump opines for term limitations when he's going to greatly benefit from their non-existence.

Another Republican platform plank is the xenophobia surrounding immigrants. They've cultivated fear of immigrants and now, under Trump, they're going to publish a list of crimes committed by immigrants in "sanctuary cities."

It's funny. For years I heard about how much Obama hates America. It seems the GOP are the ones that truly despise everything about the America and are actively working to destroy lives.

Another Republican platform plank is the xenophobia surrounding immigrants. They've cultivated fear of immigrants and now, under Trump, they're going to publish a list of crimes committed by immigrants in "sanctuary cities."

they are warning us about the immigrants in the same way Hitler and the Nazis were warning about the danger of the jews.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/824348441505648648

f#*k.

And you know they won't include anything showing the proportion of crimes related to the population or how many are commited by citizens.

This is why I don't like one party being completely in control of anything.................good lord. :facepalm:

This comment right here is the perfect example of what is wrong with this part of the board. Knapp, take note as we discussed this before.

Yes, I voted for Trump, I did not vote for republican control of every facet of our government. To assume I'm okay with this is an unfair assumption and pretty juvenile to say the least. Personally, I prefer to not have our government or our courts to lean conversative or liberal and this is a perfect example of that. DO NOT start trying to point the finger at me for this.

Elections have consequences. You own your vote.

I mean, we warned you about Trump. Over and over and over and over. And you voted for him anyway.

Don't play the victim now.

Elections have consequences. You own your vote.

I mean, we warned you about Trump. Over and over and over and over. And you voted for him anyway.

Don't play the victim now.

Really dude? So blaming me for something like this is okay? Don't fall of your high horse............

Are you saying you share zero blame? He said he was going to do these things, you voted for him, and he's doing them.

What the hell, man?

DO NOT start trying to point the finger at me for this.

Serious question. The things Trump is doing were all on his platform. He discussed them many times, in the debates, in his stump speeches, in interviews, everywhere. We knew before the election that this is what he intended to do.

Who, then, should bear responsibility for Trump when he does the things he told you he was going to do? And if it isn't the people who voted for him, WHY NOT!?!?!????

BRI - I enjoy your posting and from what I can tell, you are a good egg. However, Knapplc is spot on. None of this was unforeseen in the GOP Primary & National election. This is the consequence of voting for Trump as POTUS and/or GOP Congressional candidates. You may not have intended it, but Trump/GOP were pretty clear this is the road down which they wanted to travel. Calling that out is important.

EDIT: I don't view this as blaming BRI and I hope BRI does not as well. I view it as group therapy of voting decisions and action/consequence analysis. BRI generally tries to maintain constructive dialogue on difficult topics. I hope this is not taken as blame storming...

This comment right here is the perfect example of what is wrong with this part of the board. Knapp, take note as we discussed this before.

Yes, I voted for Trump, I did not vote for republican control of every facet of our government. To assume I'm okay with this is an unfair assumption and pretty juvenile to say the least. Personally, I prefer to not have our government or our courts to lean conversative or liberal and this is a perfect example of that. DO NOT start trying to point the finger at me for this.

I think that voting for Trump actually is a vote for control. He and the GOP are known entities. You voted for him and on day 5 you're already lamenting the agenda he and the GOP are pursuing? What did you think was going to happen?

I supported Bush in 2000 and 2004 (granted, I was a kid so it mattered even less). I think the question ("Given this, how come you voted for that?") is less about pointing fingers and more about deciding at what point you reach "I've changed my mind about my vote." It's fine to do so -- it's part of the informative process that guides our future decisions.

I'm a little torn on the blaming the voter for every action the person they voted for makes. Nobody should agree completely with the people they vote for and BRI clearly didn't. He stands apart from the people on my FB who are still drooling over every word Trump says and everything he does.

When rational people vote they hope the person does enough of what they support and not too many things they're against. It's impossible to predict that balance.

If there are enough like BRI they can vote differently in 2018 and 2020. Blaming them isn't a good idea. He's more to blame than someone who didn't vote Trump but Trump's every decision doesn't fall in line with every single person who voted for him.

I supported Bush in 2000 and 2004 (granted, I was a kid so it mattered even less). I think the question ("Given this, how come you voted for that?") is less about pointing fingers and more about deciding at what point you reach "I've changed my mind about my vote." It's fine to do so -- it's part of the informative process that guides our future decisions.

Exactly. If you regret voting for a candidate you should acknowledge that you made a mistake, learn from it, and move on. What I'm more concerned about are Trump voters that have major misgivings about what he is doing but continue to support him/defend their vote because they are unwilling to admit that they made a mistake.

"Blame" is a harsh word. What are we going to do, haul BRI up in front of a tribunal and shine spotlights in his face?

The biggest thing I want those who voted for Trump to do is... not do it again. That's the end of the recrimination. We're not naming names, we're not blaming you. Just don't vote for that kind of candidate ever again. It looks like, from the last couple of days, BRI has swung around. I'm super happy with that.

I don't super appreciate being called out like that, especially when I wasn't part of that conversation, but what I've written above is the extent of that.

It's day 5 of a 1,460 day term. It's a little early to start getting out the pitchforks and going after people who voted for him.

Right now, I don't like what I'm seeing. But, none of us know how this is going to turn out. I'm very skeptical right now....but......

It's day 5 of a 1,460 day term. It's a little early to start getting out the pitchforks and going after people who voted for him.

Right now, I don't like what I'm seeing. But, none of us know how this is going to turn out. I'm very skeptical right now....but......

I'm basically seeing it the complete opposite as you. It's ONLY day 5 and he's already shown his intentions to do more harm than anyone ever should in all 8 years of their 2 terms.

I think people are underestimating how harmful his comments on the illegal voting and media are. Just because you are smart and reasonable doesn't mean there aren't thousands/millions believing it all.

I'm with zoogs. If someone is still unabashedly behind or supportive of their choice in the face of all this (dewiz, for example), then that deserves calling out. I haven't seen BRI comment much about his feelings in hindsight now, other than to say he doesn't support ______. The argument is that he voted for that - so lets have an open conversation about whether he agrees or disagrees that he voted for the thing he is saying he doesn't support, and why.

For example, I don't support killing innocent civilians in drone strikes. But I supported Obama. Is that a contradiction?

Yes, blame is the wrong way to go. I firmly believe that.

Pointing out conflicts between different positions and seeing how people choose to settle them -- that, I think, is an important exercise. The value in posing the question is giving people an opportunity to go one way or another; to double back down and find the supporting arguments that go with that, or to re-evaluate their criteria.

Drones is a good example. I don't support that either. However, I'd say it has not been the most prominent, dealbreaking issue to me, and I invite all the criticism that comes with such a stance. I'd also argue that we haven't had an alternative other than continued pressure, and that Obama of all people probably has one of the more moderate set of instincts when it comes to the war on terror. Maybe I'm wrong.

"Blame" is a harsh word. What are we going to do, haul BRI up in front of a tribunal and shine spotlights in his face?

The biggest thing I want those who voted for Trump to do is... not do it again. That's the end of the recrimination. We're not naming names, we're not blaming you. Just don't vote for that kind of candidate ever again. It looks like, from the last couple of days, BRI has swung around. I'm super happy with that.

I don't super appreciate being called out like that, especially when I wasn't part of that conversation, but what I've written above is the extent of that.

Knap - as a former HuskerBoard Mod: 1) Would it be a violation of the rules or a bannable offense if someone were to hope, out loud or via social media, for Russians to hack the forum to release the names of all those that voted for Trump? 2) Is there a virtual equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition on this forum that exists outside the woodshed?

I am asking for a friend, so...

Knap - as a former HuskerBoard Mod: 1) Would it be a violation of the rules or a bannable offense if someone were to hope, out loud or via social media, for Russians to hack the forum to release the names of all those that voted for Trump? 2) Is there a virtual equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition on this forum that exists outside the woodshed?

It would be a bannable offense to actually hack HuskerBoard. It would probably not be a bannable offense to recruit others (Russian, Anonymous, NSA, etc) to do that for you, but it is not recommended. Everything is handled on a case-by-case basis, and if the Mods in their collective wisdom determine you've crossed the line, it's adios muchacho.

I'm not sure about a virtual equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition outside the Shed. If it exists that would be... unexpected. :D

jt-yaaaassss.gif

I'm basically seeing it the complete opposite as you. It's ONLY day 5 and he's already shown his intentions to do more harm than anyone ever should in all 8 years of their 2 terms.

I think people are underestimating how harmful his comments on the illegal voting and media are. Just because you are smart and reasonable doesn't mean there aren't thousands/millions believing it all.

I bet there is some, such as your self, that feel the exact same way a lot us did 2008. Being told that the president is going too "fundamentally change the country" was unsettling at best. I know its hearsay now but it wasn't as bad as I had imagined.

I bet there is some, such as your self, that feel the exact same way a lot us did 2008. Being told that the president is going too "fundamentally change the country" was unsettling at best. I know its hearsay now but it wasn't as bad as I had imagined.

And I'm sure a LOT of people voted for Trump as the opposite of Obama. But the problem with this is, Obama never ran on a platform of fundamentally changing America. His 2008 platform was:

Obamacare

Medicaid expansion

Immigration reform

Repealing Don't Ask/Don't Tell

Closing Guantanamo

Ending the Iraq war

Reining in Wall Street

Repeal the Bush tax cuts

Two-state solution to the Israel/Palestine problem

Reforming Washington (which every president has run on since Washington)

He also promised to have the most open & transparent administration in history (which he failed at utterly) and promised to hold government to a higher ethical standard.

None of this is remotely like what Trump ran on. If you were afraid Obama was going to "fundamentally change the country" you were listening to his political opponents and not the man himself.

Trump, meanwhile, told you exactly what he was going to do. He's now doing it, and people are like, "This is what we felt like with Obama." But it's not close to the same comparison.

Yeah, well, Obama's first week consisted of things like closing gitmo, banning torture, raising ethical standards in the White House through stricter lobbying policies, signing memorandas regarding energy independence and higher fuel efficiency, and signing the fair pay act.

So I'd say those of us feeling this now have about an infinitely more rational reason to do so than you ever did.

What did you imagine, out of curiosity, and why?

I know I should let him or someone else reply but I think many feared his so-called socialist leanings. But now they're okay with someone who wants to silence the press/scientists(?). Doesn't jive.

It would be a bannable offense to actually hack HuskerBoard. It would probably not be a bannable offense to recruit others (Russian, Anonymous, NSA, etc) to do that for you, but it is not recommended. Everything is handled on a case-by-case basis, and if the Mods in their collective wisdom determine you've crossed the line, it's adios muchacho.

I'm not sure about a virtual equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition outside the Shed. If it exists that would be... unexpected. :D

I wasn't actually expecting a response as it was more tongue-in-cheek but thank you! :)

Somewhat seriously, I really do hope people that voted for a candidate AND are now somewhat disgusted by that continue to learn from it. Large scale, I just don't see that happening... One problem with Populism is that eventually we actually end up in the extreme case.

I figured the Bill of rights to be decimated i.e. speech, guns, due process etc., government control over personal property and the like. The rhetoric the dems were throwing with the help of main stream media and hollywood. It had seemed as if Obama was going to have carte blanche with his agenda, and the "right" could pound sand

And I'm sure a LOT of people voted for Trump as the opposite of Obama. But the problem with this is, Obama never ran on a platform of fundamentally changing America. His 2008 platform was:

Yeah, well, Obama's first week consisted of things like closing gitmo, banning torture, raising ethical standards in the White House through stricter lobbying policies, signing memorandas regarding energy independence and higher fuel efficiency, and signing the fair pay act.

So I'd say those of us feeling this now have about an infinitely more rational reason to do so than you ever did.

He never closed gitmo...

I know I should let him or someone else reply but I think many feared his so-called socialist leanings. But now they're okay with someone who wants to silence the press/scientists(?). Doesn't jive.

I was asked to give my opinion. Not to make the case of why Trump deserves a pass.

I figured the Bill of rights to be decimated i.e. speech, guns, due process etc., government control over personal property and the like. The rhetoric the dems were throwing with the help of main stream media and hollywood. It had seemed as if Obama was going to have carte blanche with his agenda, and the "right" could pound sand

Wow, that's fascinating.

My own perspective was a "meh." I don't think I really grasped the significance of what had happened, and I was young and not particularly engaged in politics. I was glad Obama had won.

Looking back and knowing what I know now, it would have been a time of celebration. I had shrugged at so much of what had happened in the Bush era. I wonder if I would have contributed to the feeling of crazy rhetoric being thrown around.

I really can't see it being that crazy in retrospect, however. There were the bailouts early on, a path Bush had started on and which perhaps weren't aggressive enough under Obama either. The other major plank of his first term was healthcare. I understood it little at the time, but am now glad we at least tried to catch up with the rest of the developed world. Status quos can be so hard to change.

Of course, the irony is that today the threats directed at speech, etc, aren't even oblique. The rhetoric of the new administration through their campaign and ongoing is unprecedented from either party. Obama '08 is probably more comparable to Bush '00.

I recall the rhetoric over Obama/Dems & 2nd Amendment issues. Outside of massively unfounded propaganda, I do not recall anything Obama actually said in his campaign to justify his wanting to dismantle any of the other Amendments. What specifically made you believe the bolded?

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Speech, and the Press

Amendment 2 - The Right to Bear Arms

Amendment 3 - The Housing of Soldiers

Amendment 4 - Protection from Unreasonable Searches and Seizures

Amendment 5 - Protection of Rights to Life, Liberty, and Property

Amendment 6 - Rights of Accused Persons in Criminal Cases

Amendment 7 - Rights in Civil Cases

Amendment 8 - Excessive Bail, Fines, and Punishments Forbidden

Amendment 9 - Other Rights Kept by the People

Amendment 10 - Undelegated Powers Kept by the States and the People

I was asked to give my opinion. Not to make the case of why Trump deserves a pass.

I didn't say your were doing anything other than that. I was giving my opinion.

Wow, that's fascinating.

My own perspective was a "meh." I don't think I really grasped the significance of what had happened, and I was young and not particularly engaged in politics. I was glad Obama had won.

Looking back and knowing what I know now, it would have been a time of celebration. I had shrugged at so much of what had happened in the Bush era. I wonder if I would have contributed to the feeling of crazy rhetoric being thrown around.

I really can't see it being that crazy in retrospect, however. There were the bailouts early on, a path Bush had started on and which perhaps weren't aggressive enough under Obama either. The other major plank of his first term was healthcare. I understood it little at the time, but am now glad we at least tried to catch up with the rest of the developed world. Status quos can be so hard to change.

Of course, the irony is that today the threats directed at speech, etc, aren't even oblique. The rhetoric of the new administration through their campaign and ongoing is unprecedented from either party. Obama '08 is probably more comparable to Bush '00.

I had my problems with Bush as well. The Patriot Act and TARP being the biggest.

He never closed gitmo...

I'm quite obviously referring to him signing an executive order that intended to close it within a year.

I figured the Bill of rights to be decimated i.e. speech, guns, due process etc., government control over personal property and the like.

Well, that's just absolutely absurd and has, nor had, no bearing on reality.

I didn't say your were doing anything other than that. I was giving my opinion.

I misunderstood then, my apologies

He never closed gitmo...

I'm quite obviously referring to him signing an executive order that intended to close it within a year.

I figured the Bill of rights to be decimated i.e. speech, guns, due process etc., government control over personal property and the like.

Well, that's just absolutely absurd and has, nor had, no bearing on reality.

HAAHAHAHAHA