The Republican Utopia

Because we should deregulate one of the safest industries in the world...

This one really ticks me off since it's something we as consumers already have extremly small control over, and frequently get screwed. Not to mention the regulation were implemented because PEOPLE DIED!

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2017/An-influential-industry-committee-is-recommending-that-the-Federal-Aviation-Administration-eliminate-or-scale-back-dozens-of-safety-rules-including-one-on-airline-pilot-qualifications/id-1dfed8594490421ba2f73d301b9ebe89

WASHINGTON (AP) — An influential industry committee recommended Thursday that the Federal Aviation Administration eliminate or scale back dozens of safety rules, including one on airline pilot qualifications.

The FAA's Aviation Rulemaking Advisory Committee said the recommendations are a response to an effort by the agency to comply with President Donald Trump's directives to cut government regulations. The committee approved a report containing the recommendations by a vote of 14 to 4 with one abstention.

Pilots unions and safety groups oppose the recommendation on pilot qualifications, saying it would undermine safety. Regional airlines have been trying to roll back the pilot qualifications rule since it was adopted by the FAA in response to a sweeping aviation safety law passed by Congress after the last fatal crash of a U.S. passenger airliner.

4 hours ago, ZRod said:

Because we should deregulate one of the safest industries in the world...

This one really ticks me off since it's something we as consumers already have extremly small control over, and frequently get screwed. Not to mention the regulation were implemented because PEOPLE DIED!

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/2017/An-influential-industry-committee-is-recommending-that-the-Federal-Aviation-Administration-eliminate-or-scale-back-dozens-of-safety-rules-including-one-on-airline-pilot-qualifications/id-1dfed8594490421ba2f73d301b9ebe89

I honestly don't understand the blanket deregulatory impulses of the Republican party.

I get that they think regulations are burdensome or hurt the economy. But, when you step outside of the conservative echo chamber in which all good industries and sectors will self-regulate, it just seems like abject silliness to expect any amount of regulation from the industries themselves. So all regulations are harmful, and the solution is to just get rid of as many of them as possible and wait for solutions from others that aren't coming.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, particularly for safety regulations, unless your ideology trumps common sense.

• Plus1 1

GOP-controlled congress has a 16% approval rating.

GOP President has 38% approval rating.

RNC is paying legal bills to defend GOP President from allegations of colluding with a foreign enemy to influence the election and more.

At the same time, they are collectively attempting to repeal the ACA with a bill that:

• Allows discrimination for pre-existing conditions.
  • Allows lifetime caps.
  • Whittles essential health benefits.
  • Is opposed by every medical organization.
  • Many, many, many more ridiculous things.

incredulous.gif

• Plus1 3

The anthem kneels have never been about Trump - they've been about accountability and reform of the justice system and police departments.

The protests against Trump are pretty much as explicit as can be on Twitter. Love that Lebron called him a bum - maybe he is the GOAT after all.

• Plus1 2

The election of Judge Moore in Alabama's republican senate race is a sign that the republican utopia was and is short lived.

Obama can now get some sleep. He is no longer the bogeyman of the far right - Republican leadership in Congress is that bogeyman

and in my opinion - rightly so.  If one is a Trump supporter - the congress hasn't passed his agenda(basis of this article).  If you aren't a Trump supporter

the congress hasn't been forceful enough to counter Trump's outlandish behavior.  If you are neutral - you are made at Congress because they have

done little of what they promised.  ACA R&R for example has shown the leadership to be ill equiped to lead, deceitful and lacking in vision.  If you are

a Dem - you dislike repub leadership - well because that is what the party system is all about - but also because they are hypocritical - having blamed

the Dems for closed door sessions 8 years ago in drafting the ACA, the Repubs do the same thing - acting alone is revising it. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/27/us/politics/republican-senate-alabama-mcconnell.html

Quote in part:

“The Republican Congress has replaced President Obama as the bogeyman for conservative G.O.P. primary voters,” Mr. Law wrote, cautioning that the president was helping to amplify that point of view: “This narrative is driven by Trump himself, and it resonates with primary voters who believe the Republican Congress ‘isn’t doing enough’ (as we frequently heard in focus groups) to advance the president’s agenda.”

Mr. Law, whose group spent more than $10 million to prop up Mr. Strange, said in the memo that Republicans had been damaged by “the Obamacare repeal fiasco,” and said they should expect to fight hard-right primary candidates in Mississippi and Nevada, among other states. Mr. Law derided Mr. Bannon for being focused mainly on “promoting his own brand,” and discounted him as a major force in Alabama.

The Alabama Republican state Senate race is an example of how I am absolutely disgusted with everything involved with them.

On one side, you have a loony toon that Bannon supported and represents pretty much everything that is wrong with the alt right/far right.

On the other side, you have a goof ball that Trump supported who would have blindly supported everything Trump wants to do.

No matter what, I was going to be upset someone won this election.

Here is a prime example of when the Dems need to put someone up against Moore who is a moderate Democrat and someone who is viewed as being able to work with both sides.

Of course.....we are talking about Alabama so.....even that Dem would have a tough time winning.

• Plus1 1
On 9/28/2017 at 10:57 AM, BigRedBuster said:

The Alabama Republican state Senate race is an example of how I am absolutely disgusted with everything involved with them.

On one side, you have a loony toon that Bannon supported and represents pretty much everything that is wrong with the alt right/far right.

On the other side, you have a goof ball that Trump supported who would have blindly supported everything Trump wants to do.

No matter what, I was going to be upset someone won this election.

Here is a prime example of when the Dems need to put someone up against Moore who is a moderate Democrat and someone who is viewed as being able to work with both sides.

Of course.....we are talking about Alabama so.....even that Dem would have a tough time winning.

They actually have a pretty good candidate. He's an ex-US Attorney appointed under Clinton who prosecuted 2 of the KKK members who participated in the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing in Birmingham in 1963.

But yeah, it's Alabama. So I'm sure Mr. 9/11 was God's punishment/Sharia Law is actually going on here/Obama isn't a citizen is going to have this one in the bag.