The Republican Utopia

Glad to find this section of the board, and very surprised by the liberal opinions in the few pages i read. i assumed since we live in a predominately red state, there would be much more of the  libtard, snowflake crap i see on other social media. I'm a middle class , Union, tradesman and I've worked in the same factory for 23 years. I believe in strengthening worker rights, and unions. I like my guns, but think something needs to be done about mass shootings. Immigrants are welcome but do it legally, and follow all the same laws/rules I have to. Abortion is not my business, and i'm realistic enough to know nothing has really changed on that front for many years, and likely won't . I'm for strengthening social programs like social security, medicare, and Medicaid, as i will probably need them some day. I lean towards universal health care, because the market based, for profit, approach has failed and i see no other way to fix that. I support our military and respect all who serve,  but i wish for less wars and killing on all sides. It destroys lives , costs ridiculous amounts of money, and gains us nothing IMO  Capitalism is great, but left unregulated, it eventually leads to the oligarchy, and corporate rule were seeing today. Based on those opinions i'm sure you can figure out which way i lean. lol I'm happy to debate any well though out opinions , and will usually be able to defend my own respectfully. 

Edited by Big Red 40
  • Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Big Red 40 said:

Glad to find this section of the board, and very surprised by the liberal opinions in the few pages i read.

Welcome to P&R my friend! Honestly, from the content of your post, I think all of us will be very glad to have you.

i assumed since we live in a predominately red state, there would be much more of the  libtard, snowflake crap i see on other social media.

A few reasons for this, I think. First is that the internet is a more/disproportionately liberal sample size, in general. Second, there used to be a lot more classic conservative voices in here, but truth be told, they either got exhausted, warned to stay away, or convinced that this subforum is a liberal echo chamber because they couldn't engage on a factual foundation (mostly) void of strawmen and logical fallacies. We all still get a lot wrong and have good conversations, but you'll get hounded in P&R if you don't bring data and reliable sources to go with your claims.

Abortion is not my business, and i'm realistic enough to know nothing has really changed on that front for many years, and likely won't.

Regarding this bit specifically, quite a bit has changed. Funnily enough, the abortion rate is at it's lowest since Roe V Wade, and has fallen at a very consistent pace regardless of Republican or Democrat presidencies and control of government:

510225551.png

Based on those opinions i'm sure you can figure out which way i lean. lol I'm happy to debate any well though out opinions , and will usually be able to defend my own respectfully. 

You sound like a reasonable centrist to me, imo. In today's climate of unequal polarization I guess you'd be considered liberal, but you don't seem that way to me. 

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Landlord said:

Welcome to P&R my friend! Honestly, from the content of your post, I think all of us will be very glad to have you.

A few reasons for this, I think. First is that the internet is a more/disproportionately liberal sample size, in general. Second, there used to be a lot more classic conservative voices in here, but truth be told, they either got exhausted, warned to stay away, or convinced that this subforum is a liberal echo chamber because they couldn't engage on a factual foundation (mostly) void of strawmen and logical fallacies. We all still get a lot wrong and have good conversations, but you'll get hounded in P&R if you don't bring data and reliable sources to go with your claims.

Regarding this bit specifically, quite a bit has changed. Funnily enough, the abortion rate is at it's lowest since Roe V Wade, and has fallen at a very consistent pace regardless of Republican or Democrat presidencies and control of government:

510225551.png

You sound like a reasonable centrist to me, imo. In today's climate of unequal polarization I guess you'd be considered liberal, but you don't seem that way to me.

I guess i meant more the overall legality of abortion. Many people (conservatives) vote for political candidates based largely on an anti abortion stance. They want it outlawed, and they think that if they vote for the "right" candidate a magic wand can be waved and end it all together. I cant recall anyone making a serious push to ban abortion for quite some time regardless of political party though?

19 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

I guess i meant more the overall legality of abortion. Many people (conservatives) vote for political candidates based largely on an anti abortion stance. They want it outlawed, and they think that if they vote for the "right" candidate a magic wand can be waved and end it all together. I cant recall anyone making a serious push to ban abortion for quite some time regardless of political party though?

That's because neither party want anything to change.  Abortion solidifies both bases and nothing actually needs to get done.

I'm personally against abortion.  However, my view has changed over time to realize, this isn't a governmental issue.  It's a societal issue.  If people want abortion rates to drop more, they need to do what is needed in society so women don't feel the need to get one.  To some people, that's abstinence.  To others, that's adoption.  For yet others that's realizing they have support systems so they can have the baby and support it themselves.

We will never get rid of abortion 100% even if we make it illegal.  So, why not concentrate on caring about the people involved in the issue instead of demonizing them?

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 2

Good deal, moderate centrist reasonable Senator Susan Collins. Way to vote for that tax bill.

I'm looking forward to when Trump finally falls from his present, inexplicable grace, and all the #NeverTrumper conservatives rally en masse around Mike Pence, Paul Ryan, and the same brutal agenda. 

• Plus1 1

Roy Moore and those Alabamanians voting for him are setting a strong, and dangerous, legal precedent.

Alabama Forced To Release Thousands Of Sex Offenders After Inmates Deny Charges

MONTGOMERY, AL—Saying that the state had no choice but to take them at their word, Alabama officials on Tuesday announced that thousands of sex offenders would be released after the inmates firmly denied the charges. “If they said they didn’t do it, then what choice do we have but to let them go?” said Alabama Department of Corrections administrator Clay Buxton, adding that penitentiaries statewide would be interviewing prisoners and releasing them immediately upon receiving their sworn declaration of innocence. “We sometimes ask these individuals not just once but multiple times if they’re guilty of sex crimes, and when they say no, often very emphatically, our hands are pretty much tied.” Buxton emphasized, however, that any inmates who admitted that they did commit a sex crime will remain behind bars and continue to carry out their sentences as originally handed down.

Spoiler

It's only The Onion!

• Plus1 2

How about you keep your public $100 donation and vote NO on the tax bill instead, Senator Flake?

Or perhaps we have very different definitions of "Country over Party".

*Not that his open endorsement of Doug Jones for AL Senate isn't both commendable and extraordinary. 

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

Glad to find this section of the board, and very surprised by the liberal opinions in the few pages i read. i assumed since we live in a predominately red state, there would be much more of the  libtard, snowflake crap i see on other social media. I'm a middle class , Union, tradesman and I've worked in the same factory for 23 years. I believe in strengthening worker rights, and unions. I like my guns, but think something needs to be done about mass shootings. Immigrants are welcome but do it legally, and follow all the same laws/rules I have to. Abortion is not my business, and i'm realistic enough to know nothing has really changed on that front for many years, and likely won't . I'm for strengthening social programs like social security, medicare, and Medicaid, as i will probably need them some day. I lean towards universal health care, because the market based, for profit, approach has failed and i see no other way to fix that. I support our military and respect all who serve,  but i wish for less wars and killing on all sides. It destroys lives , costs ridiculous amounts of money, and gains us nothing IMO  Capitalism is great, but left unregulated, it eventually leads to the oligarchy, and corporate rule were seeing today. Based on those opinions i'm sure you can figure out which way i lean. lol I'm happy to debate any well though out opinions , and will usually be able to defend my own respectfully. 

Welcome indeed!

I'm psyched when anybody thinks through positions based on experience and knowledge and not party lines - you'll enjoy the discussion and challenges here BR40.  Happy to have you here.

• Plus1 2