The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

This should be a wake up call for all of us.  AL was won because POC got out to vote, specifically black women.

Well, if I'm a modern-day GOP member, these results completely validate my efforts to intentionally make voting more difficult for Women, POC, and the sub-30 crowd. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Well, if I'm a modern-day GOP member, these results completely validate my efforts to intentionally make voting more difficult for Women, POC, and the sub-30 crowd. 

Speaking of which, check out Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill's (R) comments on voter registration:

“As long as I’m secretary of state of Alabama, you’re going to have to show some initiative to become a registered voter.”

Five states have approved plans to allow all eligible citizens to automatically be registered to vote, unless they opt-out, and dozens more are considering following suit.

But Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill (R) opposes such a practice, calling it the “sorry and lazy way out.”

“I don’t think that just because your birthday comes around, you should be registered to vote,” he said in an interview with Brian Jenkins, the director of a documentary about America’s various barriers to ballot access.

To explain his opposition, Merrill cited the efforts of civil rights leaders like Congressman John Lewis (D-GA), Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and Rosa Parks, and other black leaders like Rep. Terri Sewell (D-AL).

“These people fought — some of them were beaten, some of them were killed — because of their desire to ensure that everybody that wanted to had the right to register to vote and participate in the process,” he said.

“I’m not going to cheapen the work they did, I’m not going to embarrass them by allowing somebody that’s too sorry to get up off their rear end to go register to vote… because they think they deserve the right because they’ve turned 18,” he continued, growing angry.

It's some next level doucebaggery to cite civil rights heroes in an effort to undermine voting in America.

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Damning statement from Senate Leadership Fund CEO Steven Law: “This is a brutal reminder that candidate quality matters regardless of where you are running. Not only did Steve Bannon cost us a critical Senate seat in one of the most Republican states in the country, but he also dragged the President of the United States into his fiasco.”

Maybe this will be the spur for Republicans to reject Bannon and his ilk.

Mr Law made a mistake is saying that Bannon dragged Trump into this.  Trump got in on his own free will.  Trump had rejected Moore but out of having more concern with his agenda than ethics he went full bore in support of Moore.  Trump again showed his lack of character and political wisdom by doing so.

14 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Trump put his full support behind Moore, so I don't think your scenario is likely (although possible).

Haha!! Well done.

Oh, man. I meant Strange, not Gillespie.

But I think the issue is this: among people who are aboard the "reject Bannon" train, they already oppose Trump. Among people who support Trump, he can do no wrong. This is a natural cover, which Trump has already employed: he says he backed Strange because he knew Moore was less likely to win. Fox called this a referendum not on their Glorious President, but on Harvey Weinstein. In Alabama, the Republicans are furious and livid. But they're mad that they elected a "baby killer". They blame Republicans in the sense that they haven't accomplished passing the tax bill yet or repealed Obamacare.

These people will come home.

1 hour ago, zoogs said:

I feel like this is the best place to put this, as it's a look at a fairly prominent alt-right guy from Sweden. The American Right should know what they've gotten in bed with, what their party and a lot of their base refuse to get away from:

Did you notice the clip in the feed of Bill Maher, years ago, defending Mary Kay Latrouneau. she was the teacher in, I believe, Washington, who had sexual relations with her 14 year old student......Kind of creepy. 

Still shocked that Maher hasn't had his own sexual harassment scandal. He's has a very Louis C.K. kinda vibe to his material, and I think he lives it in real life.

But back in the day, pretty much any comedian could observe that a 14 year old boy having sex with his female teacher would get more high fives than horrified condemnation. At least from the men.