The Republican Utopia

Yeah, that was weird to me as well @NM11046. I'm only left to assume that he used a marginal AT BEST quote from Palin that makes an utter throwaway of a point as an excuse to take a shot at a Clinton. Probably because he assumes that's what his target audience craves.

If we're going to address sexism and misogyny as a culture, spare no one. Especially a moron like D'Souza.

Edited by dudeguyy
  • Plus1 3

So this is fun:

If you don't understand, let me explain.

If we don't pass the CR (continuing resolution) to continue to fund the government by midnight Friday, the government runs out of money to operate & shuts down.

In the past few months, Congress has let funding for CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Fund, which provides insurance for nearly 9M children from families low income families who make too much money to qualify for Medicaid) lapse & failed to reauthorize funding.

Jeff Sessions also announced an end to the DACA program, which provided safety for nearly 800K young people who are not documented citizens but were given deferral on the risk of deportation provided they keep their noses clean & become good members of our society.

Many Republicans have said they support both refunding CHIP & passing a bill that protects DACA recipients after both those events, but have not acted on either promise as they were busy chasing tax cuts.

Now the government is running out of money again the Paul Ryan-led House GOP has had to slap together a CR that provided temporary funding for the government. Much to my own surprise, they have decided to fund a 6 year extension for CHIP in this CR (the funds will officially run out THIS MONTH if they don't). They've also included a host of other priorities - seemingly making it a compromise.

But they did not include any protections for the DACA recipients in the bill, which many Democrats in the Senate have made known is a prerequisite for their vote. The Senate requires 60 votes to pass. They appear to have only 51 at the moment - Lindsey Graham has said he will vote no on a CR that does not address DACA.

TL;DR: Many Republicans have promised to both fund CHIP & protect DACA recipients. They are finally passing an extension of the former after ignoring it (and leaving parents to worry) until the 11th hour, at the expense of the latter. And they're trying to frame it as Dems hanging kids out to dry. 

We're dealing with some cynical, dishonest people, here.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

So this is fun:

If you don't understand, let me explain.

If we don't pass the CR (continuing resolution) to continue to fund the government by midnight Friday, the government runs out of money to operate & shuts down.

In the past few months, Congress has let funding for CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Fund, which provides insurance for nearly 9M children from families low income families who make too much money to qualify for Medicaid) lapse & failed to reauthorize funding.

Jeff Sessions also announced an end to the DACA program, which provided safety for nearly 800K young people who are not documented citizens but were given deferral on the risk of deportation provided they keep their noses clean & become good members of our society.

Many Republicans have said they support both refunding CHIP & passing a bill that protects DACA recipients after both those events, but have not acted on either promise as they were busy chasing tax cuts.

Now the government is running out of money again the Paul Ryan-led House GOP has had to slap together a CR that provided temporary funding for the government. Much to my own surprise, they have decided to fund a 6 year extension for CHIP in this CR (the funds will officially run out THIS MONTH if they don't). They've also included a host of other priorities - seemingly making it a compromise.

But they did not include any protections for the DACA recipients in the bill, which many Democrats in the Senate have made known is a prerequisite for their vote. The Senate requires 60 votes to pass. They appear to have only 51 at the moment - Lindsey Graham has said he will vote no on a CR that does not address DACA.

TL;DR: Many Republicans have promised to both fund CHIP & protect DACA recipients. They are finally passing an extension of the former after ignoring it (and leaving parents to worry) until the 11th hour, at the expense of the latter. And they're trying to frame it as Dems hanging kids out to dry. 

We're dealing with some cynical, dishonest people, here.

Isn't all that just politics as usual? The same wrangling and strong arm tactics that have been going on for years? The same crap the anti establishment Trump swore he would rail against? Ridiculous

Edited by Big Red 40
  • Plus1 3
44 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

On a different note , here's something i can agree with a Republican (Rubio) on. Not sure if it belongs here but i thought it was a good read.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/our-elections-are-in-danger-congress-must-defend-them/2018/01/15/c7b3aac8-fa28-11e7-ad8c-ecbb62019393_story.html?utm_term=.f4bfaab9dc29

This seems like a good bill. I can't imagine negative ramifications, as I don't mind Congress overstepping the executive's strategy on foreign policy to punish a foreign power if they did indeed interfere in a future election.

Surprised Rubio put his name on it. But he's always been a bit of a hawk when it comes to Russia. Hopefully this doesn't just die after introduction.

• Plus1 2

This is just unbelievable.   Sheriff Joe saying Flake's anti Trump speech was near treasonous.  You know, if you speak

against the leaders of Iran, that may be treason, If you speak against the leader of NK that would be treasonous and you

would be taken out by a anti-tank missile or poison.  If you spoke out against Stalin in the former Soviet Union, that would

be treasonous and you would have been sent to Siberia for life at best or killed immediately (maybe that would be 'best' after thinking about Siberia :o)

However speaking out against the  president of the USA is a 'right' in this country and is a sign of political liberty - of healthy free speech.   And in today's 

political climate, flaky Sheriff Joe may win the race. :facepalm:

The brown shirt mentality has sneaky ways of in-filtering our society.  This is an example.

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/joe-arpaio-jeff-flake-trump-stalin-speech-treasonous/2018/01/18/id/838034/

Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio raised the possibility that Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., may have committed treason by sharply criticizing President Donald Trump this week.

Flake spoke on the Senate floor Wednesday and compared Trump to former Russian dictator Josef Stalin. He is not running for re-election this year and Arpaio is campaigning for the seat.

"

I don't know if Sen. Flake should make some comments against our commander-in-chief. I'm not saying, it could be considered by some a borderline treason-type situation. I'm not accusing him of that," Arpaio told Arizona TV station CBS 5.

The reporter then informed Arpaio that Americans have the right to criticize their president and government.

"Within reason," Arpaio replied.

It was reported last week that Arpaio is running for Flake's seat. The 85-year-old served as Maricopa County sheriff from 1993-2017. Last summer, he was convicted of contempt of court stemming from allegations that his department used racial profiling practices.

Trump pardoned Arpaio in August.

• Plus1 1

Mitch McConnell is literally, blatantly, holding children hostage.  This is from his own twitter account!

And love this response from the Oregon Senator:

Republicans, is this really what you want to do?  Baldly hold children hostage to screw over immigrants?

• Plus1 3