The Republican Utopia

Its not nice language, but isn't Samantha Bee a comedian and the name of her show is 'Full Frontal with Samantha Bee'? That doesn't excuse her from saying anything, but I would say the circumstances differ a bit from the Rosanne scenario.

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Its not nice language, but isn't Samantha Bee a comedian and the name of her show is 'Full Frontal with Samantha Bee'? That doesn't excuse her from saying anything, but I would say the circumstances differ a bit from the Rosanne scenario.

Both Rosanne and Samantha have been successful with very similar type of comedy.

33 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Both Rosanne and Samantha have been successful with very similar type of comedy.

That may be true but I don't equate the two situations. Barr tweeted what she said in her personal time in what could easily be interpreted as her actual opinion rather than a joke for entertainment. Bee said what she said on her show as a joke for entertainment. The joke may be in bad taste, but what Rosanne did was way different imo. If what Barr tweeted had been incorperated into her show as a joke I dom't think it would be canceled right now. People may say " man that joke was in poor taste" but I don't think she would recieve the same backlash.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

That may be true but I don't equate the two situations. Barr tweeted what she said in her personal time in what could easily be interpreted as her actual opinion rather than a joke for entertainment. Bee said what she said on her show as a joke for entertainment. The joke may be in bad taste, but what Rosanne did was way different imo. If what Barr tweeted had been incorperated into her show as a joke I dom't think it would be canceled right now. People may say " man that joke was in poor taste" but I don't think she would recieve the same backlash.

That seems odd to me. 

I would think it would be more likely a show is canceled if the comment/joke is made during the show.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

That seems odd to me. 

I would think it would be more likely a show is canceled if the comment/joke is made during the show.

I don't think thats the case honestly. The show adds a layer of insulation because its not reality. If it was World News obviously that is a different story, but in scripted or semi scripted TV there is alot more leeway for racy comments and jokes than if you were to just be speaking for yourself. Another thing to consider is most of these things would be ran by station execs before ever airing so if something goes wrong responsibility falls on them as well giving them more incentive to defend the show.

^^^ Good post Knapp - way back there several posts.    A sign of an insecure bully is that he can dish it out but cannot take it.  I had one of those on my home town football team.  As a freshman  we had this sophomore bully who would beat on us freshman when his buddies were around.  However, when my close friend challenged him to a one on one fight after school - he was a no show.   Same wt Trump and all - They like to dish it out but they melt like butter in Tulsa heat when the tables are turned on them.  Trump's followers are no different.  They cry no fair just after they have taken the last cookie out of the cookie jar.  In their case What is good for the goose is NOT good for the gander.   You know I think it is all childish and despicable or should I say 'deplorable' for this to be going on from both the left and the right.  However, if you are going to be in adult language politics you better have your adult panties on. 

To Trump:  If it is too hot in the kitchen - get out (oh please do so)

• Plus1 1

The Samantha Bee show and Roseanne show can't really be compared in this way. The SB show is, I guess, a current events show where she seems to be mostly giving her opinion (I've only watched 1-2 YouTube clips of her). The Roseanne show is a sitcom. You can get away more with being an asshole on a sitcom because your character can be whoever the character is.

Roseanne tweeting and Samantha Bee commenting on her show are more similar to each other than the shows are to each other.

Big segue but this reminds me of some comments I saw on the Cobra Kai episode and a few reviews of it. Multiple people were commenting on Johnny's character, saying they couldn't believe all the libtards weren't bitching about how non-PC he was, and how they were shocked at how brave the writers were to put some of his lines in there.

How stupid can people get? He's playing a character. Everyone, including the "libtards," know people like that exist. And having it in the show doesn't mean the writers support it. There's just as much chance they were making fun of people like that. I thought it was hilarious, but that doesn't mean I think people should really talk to kids (or adults) that way.

• Plus1 2