The Republican Utopia

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I’m personally in favor of the Space Force. We also need to be doing a heck of a lot more with regard to R&D for emerging technologies like artificial intelligence. China is starting to pull ahead and that’s pretty dangerous. 

I agree that something needs to be done in space, but I would much rather see us work towards an international agreement to demilitarize anything beyond the range of military satellites. Space should be an international endeavor of peace.

I'm curious, who's going to fund the R&D?

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, ZRod said:

I agree that something needs to be done in space, but I would much rather see us work towards an international agreement to demilitarize anything beyond the range of military satellites. Space should be an international endeavor of peace.

I'm curious, who's going to fund the R&D?

Ideally, a public/private partnership. I’d love to see the U.S. government work together with Silicon Valley to make it happen.

48 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

How are we going to pay for this Space Force?  Where is the money going to come from?

We waste a ton of money on social welfare programs and other assorted handouts to people who refuse to work. With unemployment essentially at zero, there’s really no reason for anyone who’s physically capable of work to not be working. That would be a nice downpayment on the Space Force. 

Then pass a blanket amnesty for federal inmates accused on simple drug possession or minor non-violent crimes. 

Then cut off all federal funding to sanctuary states and cities.

See how the money starts piling up? Eliminate wasteful liberal spending and we have plenty of money for national defense.

:)

26 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We waste a ton of money on social welfare programs and other assorted handouts to people who refuse to work. With unemployment essentially at zero, there’s really no reason for anyone who’s physically capable of work to not be working. That would be a nice downpayment on the Space Force. 

Then pass a blanket amnesty for federal inmates accused on simple drug possession or minor non-violent crimes. 

See how the money starts piling up? Eliminate wasteful liberal spending and we have plenty of money for national defense.

You wanna talk up those numbers and show us how much it piles up to? And what's the percentage of people that refuse to work compared to the total populus? I see that argument (usually anecdotally) thrown around all the time, but never hard data to support it.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I would imagine they would combine the two for the sake of efficiency.

is there something wrong with the current space command?  or is this just trump renaming something so he can claim it as his own most brilliant idea?

12 minutes ago, ZRod said:

You wanna talk up those numbers and show us how much it piles up to? And what's the percentage of people that refuse to work compared to the total populus? I see that argument (usually anecdotally) thrown around all the time, but never hard data to support it.

It’s hard to quantify exact numbers. In the current economic climate, where there are more jobs than people to fill them, it’s tough to understand how any non-disabled person can credibly claim he can’t find a job. Hell, liberals tell us all the time that we have to open the borders and admit illegals to fill jobs Americans WON’T do. So how is it we allow Americans to collect benefits for refusing to take jobs they believe to be beneath them?

Just now, Ric Flair said:

It’s hard to quantify exact numbers. In the current economic climate, where there are more jobs than people to fill them, it’s tough to understand how any non-disabled person can credibly claim he can’t find a job. Hell, liberals tell us all the time that we have to open the borders and admit illegals to fill jobs Americans WON’T do. So how is it we allow Americans to collect benefits for refusing to take jobs they believe to be beneath them?

But I've heard this argument since before and even during the recession. So there must be numbers if everyone knows it's a thing right?

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

it’s tough to understand how any non-disabled person can credibly claim he can’t find a job.

It's not very tough if you actually try. But let's ignore that for a second. How do we make a policy which can determine if a specific person refuses to work, or can't find work? Who enforces it?

Welcome back, Ric. How long do you plan on sticking around this time? 

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Hell, liberals tell us all the time that we have to open the borders and admit illegals to fill jobs Americans WON’T do.

I heard some good advice once: when you're arguing something, always argue against the strongest form of your opponent's argument. That way you're actually arguing on the merits and not just tackling some straw man. It's something we're all guilty of a lot of the time - arguing against a weak or misleading opposing position. 

That's what this is. There may be liberals who call for open borders, but none in the mainstream, certainly no elected officials with any actual power. The bolded is closer to the Koch brothers point of view than that of liberals on immigration.

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I heard some good advice once: when you're arguing something, always argue against the strongest form of your opponent's argument. That way you're actually arguing on the merits and not just tackling some straw man. It's something we're all guilty of a lot of the time - arguing against a weak or misleading opposing position. 

That's what this is. There may be liberals who call for open borders, but none in the mainstream, certainly no elected officials with any actual power. The bolded is closer to the Koch brothers point of view than that of liberals on immigration.

I do it occasionally when I'm annoyed at the worst of Trump supporters. But ya this is good advice. What I wanted to reply was that repeating a lie doesn't make it less of a lie. Very few liberals want open borders. I think I've had this exact conversation with Ric before.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Sounds like with all of that you may have just enough to cover the tax cuts we made...now where is the Space Force money going to come from?