The Republican Utopia

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

You made the claim and are unable to defend it. That link is just a collection of quotes by Schumer. Feel free to cite the ones that support your claim. Of course, knapplc is pointing out Schumer's voting record and not just out-of-context quotes, so you'll want to find better than that.

It’s a collection of quotes from Schumer on the topic of immigration, which when read together show where he stands on the issue. This really isn’t as complicated as you’re trying to make it. 

:)

There’s simply no better way to know where someone stands on an issue than to read his statements on different nuances of it, particularly over a period of several years. Your discomfort in doing that comes from knowing I’m correct that Schumer and many Democrats, despite talking a good game about immigration enforcement, won’t actually do anything about it. Why would they? They see illegal immigrants as likely Democratic voters. 

I don’t remember bringing up that  aspect of the argument I may have been responding to flairs post though. 

I agree with the things you stated in this post . 

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You were the one who brought up this part of the demographic.

I get frustrated in these conversations because, I believe, the right thinks this group is way bigger than it is. The left then, totally dismisses it like it’s nothing. 

Even though that group might be smaller than the right will admit, I don’t respect the people in it.  

My contention is that this problem has many issues that need addressed. 

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It’s a collection of quotes from Schumer on the topic of immigration, which when read together show where he stands on the issue. This really isn’t as complicated as you’re trying to make it. 

:)

There’s simply no better way to know where someone stands on an issue than to read his statements on different nuances of it, particularly over a period of several years. Your discomfort in doing that comes from knowing I’m correct that Schumer and many Democrats, despite talking a good game about immigration enforcement, won’t actually do anything about it. Why would they? They see illegal immigrants as likely Democratic voters. 

Another low-quality deflection. Pointing at a giant collection of information and saying, "It's in there somewhere," is weak and generally means you already know you've lost the argument because you can't find the supporting evidence. You've yet to cite a single piece of evidence to support your claims about Schumer. And FYI, there is a better way to know where a politician stands on an issue that's even more reliable than what they've said: how they've voted. Schumer's votes are public record.

• Plus1 1

22 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

So other than thinking rich people are miserable, greedy, miserly, horrible hypocrites, you’re perfectly cool with them. 

Got it. :lol:

Why shouldn’t the people who made the money get to keep it? What entitles less productive members of society to the fruits of the labors of others? 

Do you realize your hypocrisy?  Literally all rich people do is benefit and take for their own, the fruits of other people's labor.  But in your selfish, I'm a rich white republican view, everybody owes you.  You're entitled to wealth and the fruits of everyone else's labor and F the poor people who made you rich.  This is why....I won't finish that thought. 

• Plus1 2
26 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Another low-quality deflection. Pointing at a giant collection of information and saying, "It's in there somewhere," is weak and generally means you already know you've lost the argument because you can't find the supporting evidence. You've yet to cite a single piece of evidence to support your claims about Schumer. And FYI, there is a better way to know where a politician stands on an issue that's even more reliable than what they've said: how they've voted. Schumer's votes are public record.

As I have pointed out...repeatedly now...Democrats generally and Schumer specifically do not want the immigration problem to be solved. They need the issue to keep their base riled for elections. If comprehensive immigration reform were passed, certainly in the way I described earlier, the issue would largely disappear. If that happened, it would have a considerable impact on Demoratic turnout.

Schumer and other Democrats will continue to propose legislation that they know won’t pass and stage votes that don’t matter. It’s all for show. So the best way to know what he thinks is to track his statements over time. Schumer’s statements are trending against immigration enforcement, as are those of the rest of the party.

26 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Do you realize your hypocrisy?  Literally all rich people do is benefit and take for their own, the fruits of other people's labor.  But in your selfish, I'm a rich white republican view, everybody owes you.  You're entitled to wealth and the fruits of everyone else's labor and F the poor people who made you rich.  This is why....I won't finish that thought. 

That’s a remarkably backward and ignorant way of viewing the economic system. The vast majority of us have jobs to go to because some rich person, or group of them, had an idea, started a business, worked hard, risked his (or their) money, and built a successful business. Starting and operating a business involves a huge commitment of time, energy, and resources, and involves tremendous risk.

I’m not claiming anyone owes me anything. I worked hard...still do...and make decent money. That money is mine. I worked hard for it and earned it. I make more than some people and less than others. That’s because based on my skills, education, experience, etc., my labor is worth a certain amount. That’s simple economics. 

If you’re unhappy with your lot in life, it’s up to you to change it. But it’s a waste of time to blame others for it or to envy people who seem to have more. That’s just a waste of a life.

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

As I have pointed out...repeatedly now...Democrats Republicans generally and Schumer McConnell specifically do not want the immigration problem Obama's policies to be solved repealed. They need the issue to keep their base riled for elections. If comprehensive immigration reform were passed the ACA were repealed, certainly in the way I described earlier, the issue would largely disappear. If that happened, it would have a considerable impact on Demoratic Republican turnout.

Schumer and other Democrats McConnell and the Republicans will continue to propose legislation that they know won’t pass and stage votes that don’t matter. It’s all for show. So the best way to know what he thinks is to track his statements over time. Schumer’s McConnell's statements are trending against immigration enforcement quality healthcare for people, as are those of the rest of the party.

FIFY. This was pretty much 2010 through 2016.

This isn't a one-sided issue. Both parties are guilty of false promises and playing games instead of solving controversial problems when they have the ability to do so on their own. 

Also, didn't Schumer and Pelosi claim to have a deal on the table for wall funding + increased immigration enforcement in exchange for a path to citizenship for DACA recipients? IIRC it never happened because Trump balked when he came under fire from his right flank. 

But again, you haven't even pointed out where Schumer's specific comments are "trending against enforcement." It seems like you're just out here tackling strawmen.

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That’s a remarkably backward and ignorant way of viewing the economic system. The vast majority of us have jobs to go to because some rich person, or group of them, had an idea, started a business, worked hard, risked his (or their) money, and built a successful business. Starting and operating a business involves a huge commitment of time, energy, and resources, and involves tremendous risk.

I’m not claiming anyone owes me anything. I worked hard...still do...and make decent money. That money is mine. I worked hard for it and earned it. I make more than some people and less than others. That’s because based on my skills, education, experience, etc., my labor is worth a certain amount. That’s simple economics. 

If you’re unhappy with your lot in life, it’s up to you to change it. But it’s a waste of time to blame others for it or to envy people who seem to have more. That’s just a waste of a life.

Agreed . and for all of that they are rewarded with the lions share of the profits. Nobody is arguing against that. The problem is not one single one of them built their empire 100% on their own, and they owe the people who helped them get there a much bigger piece of the pie than they are currently providing. There was a time when that was true and America really was great for everyone. Now its great for a select few ,and just meh for millions of others.   

6 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

Agreed . and for all of that they are rewarded with the lions share of the profits. Nobody is arguing against that. The problem is not one single one of them built their empire 100% on their own, and they owe the people who helped them get there a much bigger piece of the pie than they are currently providing. There was a time when that was true and America really was great for everyone. Now its great for a select few ,and just meh for millions of others.   

I disagree. I don’t think anyone is OWED anything. If someone doesn’t like his job, he should find another one. If someone is displeased by her employment prospects, she should try a different field or finish/go back to school.

9 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

FIFY. This was pretty much 2010 through 2016.

This isn't a one-sided issue. Both parties are guilty of false promises and playing games instead of solving controversial problems when they have the ability to do so on their own. 

Also, didn't Schumer and Pelosi claim to have a deal on the table for wall funding + increased immigration enforcement in exchange for a path to citizenship for DACA recipients? IIRC it never happened because Trump balked when he came under fire from his right flank. 

But again, you haven't even pointed out where Schumer's specific comments are "trending against enforcement." It seems like you're just out here tackling strawmen.

I agree that both parties engage in doublespeak and gameplaying to keep their bases riled. No doubt.

Schumer’s comments go from being very stringly in favor of strict border enforcement years ago to being, at best, tepid in their support for any enforcement now. That’s entirely cinsistent with ither key Democratic figures iver the same time frame. Have you heard what those like Hillary said about illegal immigration even a few years ago? She makes Trump look like a moderate on the issue. The Democratic Party has swing wildly to the left on the issue of immigration.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I agree that both parties engage in doublespeak and gameplaying to keep their bases riled. No doubt.

Schumer’s comments go from being very stringly in favor of strict border enforcement years ago to being, at best, tepid in their support for any enforcement now. That’s entirely cinsistent with ither key Democratic figures iver the same time frame. Have you heard what those like Hillary said about illegal immigration even a few years ago? She makes Trump look like a moderate on the issue. The Democratic Party has swing wildly to the left on the issue of immigration.

A few years ago we didn't have a president coldly and callously urging the deportation of millions of law-abiding, productive members of society. We used to have leaders who said these were the type of immigrants we should want here and that they'd be welcome with open arms here because they made our society better.

The change in circumstance necessarily required a shift toward humanity.

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Here's why what you're trying to use as evidence doesn't work

"I think it’s a mistake to make political debates personal."

"Agreed. Trump should have known better than to let her anywhere near the White House."

"I don’t like his language, as I’ve said a few times now. He should be less inflammatory and much more precise."

"I share your dislike of Trump’s methods"

"As I said, I disagree with Trump’s statements on a relatively frequent basis."

"i don’t like some of the things Trump says. I think his language is harsh, overly broad, boorish, crude, and offensive. I was appalled that he made that statement about how there were good folks on both sides after the Charlottesville debacle. When people are marching the streets in white hoods and burning torches, screaming vile nonsense, how hard is it to condemn that?"

"No doubt Trump has some cronies that are slimy."

"Trump is a worse version of Hitler and every night is Kristallnacht."

"That being said, hell yes I condemn Trump."

"Trump is a philandering douchebag and scummy guy generally"

I'd conclude based off of this collection of quotes of yours that you are unabashedly anti-Trump. But... you're not.

• Plus1 4