The Republican Utopia

19 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

If Trump murdered someone on live TV Ric Flair would say it can't be investigated because it's not in the scope of the current investigation(s) on Trump.

Damn straight. The local prosecutors could and should then go after it. But Mueller’s investigation is limited in scope.

I believe that the rules of SC is that if they uncover evidence of other crimes they are to pass the along to the proper jurisdictions or they have the legal right (no, actually obligation) to explore further.  Manafort was in VA, Cohen in NYC.  They did just as you say above, but giving it to proper, local prosecutors.  

And this broad scope was established when Starr did all his work against Bill Clinton.  A great example of the charges and the impeachment being caused not by the "crime" that was initially set out to explore.  Nixon was the same.  

And btw, breaking campaign finance laws in most certainly tied to the campaign.

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Damn straight. The local prosecutors could and should then go after it. But Mueller’s investigation is limited in scope.

And come on Ric - seriously?  You're ok with an investigation uncovering crimes involving the top tier of our current government and not exploring that to the full extent of their capabilities?  

From what I have seen here you are a man driven by strict morals of right and wrong.  This doesn't jive with your opinions on any other topic.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

And come on Ric - seriously?  You're ok with an investigation uncovering crimes involving the top tier of our current government and not exploring that to the full extent of their capabilities?  

From what I have seen here you are a man driven by strict morals of right and wrong.  This doesn't jive with your opinions on any other topic.

I’m saying it should be investigated and prosecuted. Just not by Mueller. That’s not in his job description.

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I’m saying it should be investigated and prosecuted. Just not by Mueller. That’s not in his job description.

In appointing Mueller, however, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein gave him broad authority not only to investigate "any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated" with Trump's campaign, but also to examine "any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation." 

Rosenstein also gave Mueller the power to investigate "any other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R. § 600.4(a)" — including perjury, obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence, and intimidation of witnesses. 

The mandate's scope is similar to that given by then-Acting Attorney General James Comey to special counsel Patrick Fitzgerald in 2003 to investigate who leaked the identity of former CIA operative Valerie Plame.

• Plus1 7

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Rosenstein’s order is illegal and unconstitutional. No order that is so broad in scope would withstand a court challenge. Mueller knows that, which is why he has referred matters outside the scope of his investigation to federal prosecutors. 

In your hypothetical, Trump would have committed murder. Mueller’s team isn’t set up to investigate and prosecute a murder, which is completely outside their authority or areas of expertise. I have no doubt that he would refer the matter to outside federal prosecutors to deal with. 

This really isn’t complicated folks. It doesn’t take a law degree to think this sort of thing through.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Rosenstein’s order is illegal and unconstitutional. No order that is so broad in scope would withstand a court challenge. Mueller knows that, which is why he has referred matters outside the scope of his investigation to federal prosecutors. 

In your hypothetical, Trump would have committed murder. Mueller’s team isn’t set up to investigate and prosecute a murder, which is completely outside their authority or areas of expertise. I have no doubt that he would refer the matter to outside federal prosecutors to deal with. 

This really isn’t complicated folks. It doesn’t take a law degree to think this sort of thing through.

now you say you  know more than judges and lawyers as well as scientist?     

• Plus1 6
17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Mueller referred cases to federal prosecutors because he's following protocol and that's what you're supposed to do.

If the scope of his investigation is unconstitutional, you'd think someone on the president's crack legal team would've challenged it in court a long time ago and had it thrown out, if it was such an open & shut case. I wonder why they haven't done so?

Hint: It's not because they think they'd win.

• Plus1 5

22 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Mueller referred cases to federal prosecutors because he's following protocol and that's what you're supposed to do.

If the scope of his investigation is unconstitutional, you'd think someone on the president's crack legal team would've challenged it in court a long time ago and had it thrown out, if it was such an open & shut case. I wonder why they haven't done so?

Hint: It's not because they think they'd win.

Special prosecutors have a likited and clearly defined scope of authority. Numerous legal scholars have opined that Rosenstein exceeded his authority by making Mueller’s authority so broad. Seriously...Google it and do a little reading,

Mueller himself realizes that his scope is limited. That’s why he refers cases to others to handle rather than trying to handle them himself.

I have a legal background and know quite a bit about the subject matter.

I have a legal background and I think Mueller is well within his jurisdiction, as outlined by Rosenstein's completely legal and constitutional order.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 2

Further, I am an American patriot, not a party partisan, and I can tell you I'd be cheering on Mueller/Rosenstein if this investigation uncovered the same things about:

Clinton

The other Clinton

Obama

Bush

The other Bush

Reagan

Carter

Ford

Nixon - wait, they *did* find this kind of stuff on Nixon

Irregardless. It's funny how people of a certain political lean have a HUGE PROBLEM with this stuff coming out when it goes against the party they affiliate themselves with.

That's the problem with parties. They're not America.

I'm an American, proudly Independent. Prosecute 'em all.

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Further, I am an American patriot, not a party partisan, and I can tell you I'd be cheering on Mueller/Rosenstein if this investigation uncovered the same things about:

Clinton

The other Clinton

Obama

Bush

The other Bush

Reagan

Carter

Ford

Nixon - wait, they *did* find this kind of stuff on Nixon

Irregardless. It's funny how people of a certain political lean have a HUGE PROBLEM with this stuff coming out when it goes against the party they affiliate themselves with.

That's the problem with parties. They're not America.

I'm an American, proudly Independent. Prosecute 'em all.

The only problems I have with the investigation were/are with the shenanigans that went on to get it started, the numbers of Hillary-supporting Trump-haters on the Mueller team, and the clear double standard where everything possible was done to exonerate Clinton while everything possible is being done to go after Trump.

The only problems I have with the investigation were/are with the shenanigans that went on to get it started, the numbers of Hillary-supporting Trump-haters on the Mueller team, and the clear double standard where everything possible was done to exonerate Clinton while everything possible is being done to go after Trump.

These party politics talking points are largely irrelevant when crimes and crimes and crimes and crimes and crimes are being exposed.

I suppose a person could argue that the whole investigation is criminal in itself.

But to argue that, a person would have to show proof. 

If they can't... that falls under Hitchens Law.

• Plus1 1