The Republican Utopia

So say muslim cab owners wont let drunks in their cab ( happens in Minn a lot) or gay print shop owners wont print westboro baptist posters. Should they be forced to provide those services? I don't think so.

That court ruling was and is out of their bounds, they say what the law is, not make law. A problem we've had for sometime now.

The 1st protects flag burning. It's disrespectful to those that have bled and died in service of that flag. Disrespectful yes, illegal no.

Same with refusing service on religious beliefs. I see it as authoritarian govt overreach when the state tells private business to whom and when they can conduct business.

The state is what created the rules for even having businesses and markets. Without the govt setting up and enforcing those rules, there would be no business. Part of those rules is equal treatment. You have the choice to follow the rules and have a business or not.

No, humans have traded and bartered since the beginning of time.

And that didn't always work well. For example, your trading partner steals your goods or renegs on an agreement. So laws were made to allow trading without some of those side effects, and to create and enforce these laws a govt or ruling body was needed.

And that's before we switched to currency instead of direct barter and trade. How do you have a currency without rules and enforcement of those rules?

What exactly those rules should be is a matter of debate. The idea that the govt can't tell private business what the rules are isn't true.

But therein lies the problem with lobbyists and special interests.

What? I don't understand your point.

You mentioned that govt is needed to enforce rules. Sure, but at the same time, the govt is susceptible to influencing deals that benefit those that are making said rules i.e. Crony Capitalism

response to the bold: So are you anti free market?

Governments are made of humans. Humans are susceptible to corruption. Eliminate government and you still have humans, and you still have corruption.

You're not solving anything by eliminating or limiting government. You're just changing the face of corruption.

• Fire 4

What religion says we should discriminate against those who are different from us?

Well, the quran doesn't speak well of jews. :dunno
But this is a Christian nation right? So why would we need a law to discriminate when Jesus told us to love our neighbors and worry about the beam in our own eye? I can't recall him ever saying not to provide service or deny buisness to a sinner.

*edit* I see Moiraine already made the point.

Why didn't you just say Christians then, why beat around the bush
Just trying to be inclusive you know?

Honestly I didn't know if there was a religious text that told it's followers to discriminate against "sinners". I figured something could be found in islam, but as a lot of things are in that religion it's very open to interpretation.

ZRod said: But this is a Christian nation right? So why would we need a law to discriminate when Jesus told us to love our neighbors and worry about the beam in our own eye? I can't recall him ever saying not to provide service or deny buisness to a sinner.

​The bolded part: America is christian nation only in the sense that they are the largest religious group. The Constitution guarantees freedom of, and from, religion; but clearly does not establish any religion as being sanctioned by the state--meaning government.

The rest: Exactly.

Thanks, Republicans, for spending more time worrying about Obama's birth certificate than Trump's tax returns.

This is why I believe the Republican Party deserves to fade away into history.

In red, strangely enough, I disagree.

What the Republican party really needs to do is kick the religious zealots out of the party.

Religious conservatives have taken over the Republican party and turned it from a party that endorsed and supported freedom for all into a party where discrimination against anyone who isn't: white, hetero, and/or religious is the SOP.

• Fire 1

Washington (CNN)Two top House Republicans asked the Inspector General on Wednesday to investigate leaks surrounding the ouster of former national security adviser Michael Flynn.

The request came in a letter from Rep. Jason Chaffetz, the chairman of the House Oversight Committee, and Rep. Bob Goodlatte, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.

Chaffetz has so far declined to investigate President Donald Trump's potential conflicts of interest

How can these f**kbags live with themselves?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/15/politics/jason-chaffetz-inspector-general/index.html

Previously:

SOUTH JORDAN, Utah Jason Chaffetz, the Utah congressman wrapping up his first term atop the powerful House Oversight Committee, unendorsed Donald Trump weeks ago. That freed him up to prepare for something else: spending years, come January, probing the record of a President Hillary Clinton.

"It's a target-rich environment," the Republican said in an interview in Salt Lake Citys suburbs. "Even before we get to Day One, weve got two years worth of material already lined up. She has four years of history at the State Department, and it aint good."

In a tweet Wednesday night, Chaffetz reaffirmed his distaste for Clinton and his refusal to endorse Trump but reversed his plans not to vote for the Republican nominee.

Washington (CNN)Two top House Republicans asked the Inspector General on Wednesday to investigate leaks surrounding the ouster of former national security adviser Michael Flynn.

The request came in a letter from Rep. Jason Chaffetz, the chairman of the House Oversight Committee, and Rep. Bob Goodlatte, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.

Chaffetz has so far declined to investigate President Donald Trump's potential conflicts of interest

How can these f**kbags live with themselves?http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/15/politics/jason-chaffetz-inspector-general/index.html

Previously:

SOUTH JORDAN, Utah Jason Chaffetz, the Utah congressman wrapping up his first term atop the powerful House Oversight Committee, unendorsed Donald Trump weeks ago. That freed him up to prepare for something else: spending years, come January, probing the record of a President Hillary Clinton.

"It's a target-rich environment," the Republican said in an interview in Salt Lake Citys suburbs. "Even before we get to Day One, weve got two years worth of material already lined up. She has four years of history at the State Department, and it aint good."

In a tweet Wednesday night, Chaffetz reaffirmed his distaste for Clinton and his refusal to endorse Trump but reversed his plans not to vote for the Republican nominee.

Chaffetz is a partisan hack and a disgrace. He's a little boy, like Trump, who happens to be in a position of power.
  • Fire 3

How can these f**kbags live with themselves?http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/15/politics/jason-chaffetz-inspector-general/index.html

Previously:

Chaffetz is a partisan hack and a disgrace. He's a little boy, like Trump, who happens to be in a position of power.

“I’m out," Chaffetz told Utah’s Fox 13 News in response to Trump's comments. "I can no longer in good conscience endorse this person for president. It is some of the most abhorrent and offensive comments that you can possibly imagine."

He added: "My wife and I, we have a 15-year-old daughter, and if I can’t look her in the eye and tell her these things, I can’t endorse this person."

Guess what happened next.

To me, the distinction is how it's done and perhaps I am giving this person you quoted too much credit...

What I mean is: If someone plotting a terrorist act abroad, calls someone here in the US to discuss furthering that plot, then yes, surveillance is warranted. Whereas surveillance of US citizens en masse just on the hope or possibility of stumbling across a terror plot is wrong.

Of course that raises the question of: How did the country in question overseas come to eavesdrop on said alleged terrorist? Did that country listen in on everyone and stumble upon this plot?

So maybe I just torpedoed my own argument? :ahhhhhhhh

I refuse to believe that to have security, there needs to be infringement of liberty and freedom.

• Fire 1