The Republican Utopia

Also, I am quite sure that members of Congress pay far less for their health insurance than the average citizen does.

I vaguely tried to find something confirming or denying this, but...meh.

I'm not a Trump or far right sympathizer by any means, but I'm tired of seeing the "they shouldn't get insurance!" or "We should get the same insurance they do!" arguments. They are elected officials in the highest level of government. That job should pay well and have solid benefits. If we don't think the people are effectively doing their job, we need to vote them out. It seems hard enough now to find people qualified enough for these positions, it would be almost impossible if we cut their pay and eliminated their benefits.

I'm a teacher. My pay comes from taxpayers. I also pay less for health insurance than the average citizen (at least according to my friends in a variety of professions). Should I also get less then?

edit: not necessarily directed at you Chimi. Had this "discussion" with my wife the other night. When I asked if she wanted to see us pay more for insurance or not have any at all, it didn't go much further...

Also, I am quite sure that members of Congress pay far less for their health insurance than the average citizen does.

I vaguely tried to find something confirming or denying this, but...meh.

I'm not a Trump or far right sympathizer by any means, but I'm tired of seeing the "they shouldn't get insurance!" or "We should get the same insurance they do!" arguments. They are elected officials in the highest level of government. That job should pay well and have solid benefits. If we don't think the people are effectively doing their job, we need to vote them out. It seems hard enough now to find people qualified enough for these positions, it would be almost impossible if we cut their pay and eliminated their benefits.

I'm a teacher. My pay comes from taxpayers. I also pay less for health insurance than the average citizen (at least according to my friends in a variety of professions). Should I also get less then?

edit: not necessarily directed at you Chimi. Had this "discussion" with my wife the other night. When I asked if she wanted to see us pay more for insurance or not have any at all, it didn't go much further...

You, as a teacher, (I think) provide far greater value to our society than some blowhard member of Congress so I am okay with how your health care plan is structured.

My point is: How can Republicans oppose affordable health insurance for the average American even if it is !!!!GASP!!!! **coarsely whispers** government run or subsidized?

Especially when their health care is so heavily subsidized by the government????

Seems incredibly hypocritical to me.

Bunch of Republicans who want to cut pretty much all health care, Medicaid, any benefits people receive from the government...

While they receive their pay, health care, retirement benefits, pension, etc...from the government.

How does that make ANY sense?

Mostly asking rhetorically, funhusker...not asking you to justify this Republican hypocrisy.

There's a valid point in there.

Fun, I don't begrudge you for earning your living from taxes. Nor does anyone else here, I don't think.

But the future for ALL of our healthcare is now in the hands of these people. They've taken it upon themselves to try to upend the system with something that is demonstrably worse than we have now. You don't have that distinction, thankfully.

They get up in front of all of America and lie to our faces about it.

If you did that, rant on an internet message board about you, too. :lol:

I feel kind of dirty for taking a defensive position for these schmucks.

But, I guess my point is that they (supposedly) work for the government, therefore it is entirely fair and non-hypocritical for them to receive government funded healthcare and other benefits. However, I don't agree with their position that every other person should "fend for themselves". But, them not wanting the government to supplement benefits to the private sector doesn't make them hypocrites, it just makes them out of touch with the needs of Americans and also kind of "dickish".

• Fire 1

I actually just heard an NPR story talking about this - will post it later if there is content that might be interesting in more detail, but I learned that essentially they have to purchase their insurance through the marketplace just like other americans getting ACA must, but they get a "stipend" from the government to pay for it. So they are essentially on the same plans as us, and must go through the process (that was a point of debate during the initial roll out - I think it was Grassley that insisted that they have the same "fair" experience) I found that interesting.

But, them not wanting the government to supplement benefits to the private sector doesn't make them hypocrites, it just makes them out of touch with the needs of Americans and also kind of "dickish".

Yes. It's not the hypocrisy, it's the out of touchness :P

But, them not wanting the government to supplement benefits to the private sector doesn't make them hypocrites, it just makes them out of touch with the needs of Americans and also kind of "dickish".

Yes. It's not the hypocrisy, it's the out of touchness :P

Not entirely sure how to take your comment, but "out of touchness" for an elected representative is just as bad as being a hypocrite.

So I'll just assume you, like me, think the people against helping the less fortunate are "dickish" :)