The Republican Utopia

That's why nobody admits they're wrong. You see it here all the time. People post something about the football team, they're shown to be factually wrong, but they don't own up to it, they just move on.

Source: am that guy. Have tried to offer a mea culpa when I'm wrong, but it's not fun, and I don't do it as often as I should. It's a known flaw. I'm flawed.

There are also easier and harder things when it comes to admitting wrongs. It's easy to say "Oh, I didn't know that this was incorrect." It's harder to admit that you've surrendered your critical faculties to a cadre of questionably motivated, conspiracy theory-spinning cranks.

That's why nobody admits they're wrong. You see it here all the time. People post something about the football team, they're shown to be factually wrong, but they don't own up to it, they just move on.

Source: am that guy. Have tried to offer a mea culpa when I'm wrong, but it's not fun, and I don't do it as often as I should. It's a known flaw. I'm flawed.

I don't have a hard time admitting when I'm wrong. Luckily it has only happened 3 times in my lifetime :B)

• Fire 3

An excellent overview of the money and influence history behind Trumps' rise for those that may not have caught Fresh Air/NPR this week. http://www.npr.org/2017/03/22/521083950/inside-the-wealthy-family-that-has-been-funding-steve-bannon-s-plan-for-years

And another one, which was even more curious to me. Interesting comments surrounding the 25th Amendment ... I didn't realize Congress could appoint another group to evaluate the health of the president (vs. VP and cabinet).

Also found the info on how President Wilson was viewed after his stroke, "He spoke diatribes against people who disagreed with him. He fired his secretary of state for holding Cabinet meetings without the president there - this was when the president was bedridden. And he refused to negotiate with the Senate about the League of Nations or authorize anybody else to do so." So familiar.

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/20/515803768/uncovering-presidential-secrets-from-washington-to-trump

I would commend Trump for reaching across the aisle in order to provide Americans with better health care. It would be likely the first positive thing to come from that camp, and totally not make up for their past wrongs, but would be a great step in the right direction.

What a time to be alive. I think we already knew that the Republicans were squarely against cooperation, but to have Speaker Ryan publicly state it is just so upsetting.

In fairness, of course they are against cooperation. The ACA is a ghastly offense to their priorities of upward wealth distribution (and locking that in). I wouldn't expect the Democrats (or any other party) to cooperate when doing so is in such diametric opposition to their interests.

The issue is not in the willingness to cooperate or not, but in what those interests and priorities are.

North Carolina tries to have its cake and eat it, too: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/30/opinion/north-carolinas-bait-and-switch-on-transgender-restroom-law.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

But it bars schools and other government entities from adopting policies allowing transgender people to use the restroom of their choice. And it still prohibits anti-discrimination ordinances until 2020.

Mr. Cooper said the compromise with the Republican-controlled legislature was “not perfect,” but he held out hope that the repeal would start to “repair our reputation.”

Translation: no substance, but perhaps we'll mitigate the revenue losses incurred from the PR backlash.

Because obviously, actual protections are secondary to appearance. #branding

• 2 weeks later...

"You say you pay for me to do this? That's bull crap. I pay for myself," Rep. Markwayne Mullin told constituents at a town hall in Jay, Oklahoma. I paid enough taxes before I got here and continue to through my company to pay my own salary. This is a service. No one here pays me to go."

• Fire 1

"You say you pay for me to do this? That's bull crap. I pay for myself," Rep. Markwayne Mullin told constituents at a town hall in Jay, Oklahoma. I paid enough taxes before I got here and continue to through my company to pay my own salary. This is a service. No one here pays me to go."

Translation: "I'm rich, so I don't have to listen to the people that voted me into office!!"
  • Fire 2