The Republican Utopia

Hannity is such a POS. I listened to 5 minutes of his radio show today. All he yacks about is that Journalism is dead. The Wa Po and NYT are fake and spreading illegal leaks. He's obsessed with "the deep state", and now mocking Comey for leaving a paper trail. The guy and his followers are nut jobs and will continue to think Trump is god even if he is removed from office. It's extremely disturbing to me that he actually has influence over people, and they trust him as a source of information.

It appears he literally spread a conspiracy theory yesterday that Hillary had Seth Rich murder for leaking emails to Wikileaks. A story that has already been debunked by the FBI.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/us/seth-rich-dnc-wikileaks.html

The only thing he's criticized Trump for (other than tweeting too much, not his actual tweet substance) is his tax proposal being a win for the dems.

There has GOT to be more to this story.

I was under the impression Chaffetz had already made clear that he was leaving Congress.

He had said he wasn't going to run for reelection. This announcement is that he is leaving before then.

No, I was under the impression he wasn't going to finish his term. I made a joke about him having to change his twitter handle from "jasoninthehouse" in one of these threads based on that. I can't remember where I heard that though - it was at least a few weeks ago.

There has GOT to be more to this story.

I was under the impression Chaffetz had already made clear that he was leaving Congress.

He had said he wasn't going to run for reelection. This announcement is that he is leaving before then.

No, I was under the impression he wasn't going to finish his term. I made a joke about him having to change his twitter handle from "jasoninthehouse" in one of these threads based on that. I can't remember where I heard that though - it was at least a few weeks ago.

Agree. He did some local radio/newspaper interview where he said he might not finish out his term shortly after he announced he wasn't running for reelection.

The only other thing (than health issues) that makes sense is that he is totally uncomfortable with the position he is being put in and flat out wants out.

If that's the case, I don't have a lot of respect for the guy. When put in a position of power like he is and in this situation, there is one way to move forward....do the right thing. Obviously, that's too much to ask of him.

Listened to some more GOP radio. Buck Sexton. These aren't exact quotes but very close.

"There is an obsession with the law right now by the Left."

"Every day all we hear about is the supposed law breaking by the president of the United States." - said in a tone like it was unbelievable that it's news at all.

Another gem from him:

"According to the Leftist narrative, true accountability would involve Trump or one of his top people going to prison, usually under a charge of treason. This is appalling overreach, no matter what one thinks of Trump’s time in office thus far."

Previously: "Trust me, the really interesting emails – the kind that would immediately derail a presidential campaign and could lead to prison time – Hillary deleted those a long time ago."

If I listened to this for 20 minutes a day I might start to think the Left is purposely trying to take down the U.S. from within and Trump is the Son of God.

I just struggle to understand how on anybody on the Right or Left could listen to anything that reinforces their world views so heavily. My God.

Listened to some more GOP radio. Buck Sexton. These aren't exact quotes but very close.

"There is an obsession with the law right now by the Left."

"Every day all we hear about is the supposed law breaking by the president of the United States." - said in a tone like it was unbelievable that it's news at all.

Another gem from him:

"According to the Leftist narrative, true accountability would involve Trump or one of his top people going to prison, usually under a charge of treason. This is appalling overreach, no matter what one thinks of Trumps time in office thus far."

Previously: "Trust me, the really interesting emails the kind that would immediately derail a presidential campaign and could lead to prison time Hillary deleted those a long time ago."

If I listened to this for 20 minutes a day I might start to think the Left is purposely trying to take down the U.S. from within and Trump is the Son of God.

I just struggle to understand how on anybody on the Right or Left could listen to anything that reinforces their world views so heavily. My God.

I know you're being sarcastic... and it's a silly comment. It's basically like saying people should take everyone at their word and question nothing. That's what you have to do if you listen to this stuff and believe it.

https://www.vox.com/2017/5/20/15666024/trump-budget-cuts-senate-filibuster

That’s why Obama made doomed proposals. So why is Trump doing it? These plans are hardly crowd-pleasers. Sure, he ran on the border wall, and defending veterans. But slashing Medicaid? He explicitly promised not to do that. Cutting the Agriculture Department? That’s a slap in the face to pro-Trump states like Iowa with large farm industries. Slashing medical research? That’s something it’s easy for patient groups to mobilize on, with very little to no political upside for Trump.

The best explanation I can see is that Mick Mulvaney, Trump’s budget director, is a true believer, a Tea Party type genuinely motivated by an urge to slash federal spending. That’s his prerogative, and there’s no indication Trump himself is interested enough to force Mulvaney to change course. But if Trump just keeps allowing the conservative hardliners on his team to define his budget policy, he’ll be giving his political opponents easy material to campaign on without getting anything in return.

Trump’s budget is a joke. The important question is why.