Jump to content
knapplc

The Republican Utopia

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

#prolife

 

So it's not OK when an individual terminates another individual, but when the state does it, it's cool?

 

Ideological consistency isn't really this guy's strong suit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:laughpound

 

Quote

 

The White House has made it official: the all-Republican government in Washington has no major legislative agenda this year.

The news came without fanfare at the press secretary's daily briefing Wednesday. Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters that all of President Donald Trump's talk of a massive, trillion-dollar upgrade to America's infrastructure, from "Infrastructure Week" declarations to a 53-page plan unveiled three months ago, won't produce "a specific piece of legislation" in 2018.

 

That conclusion managed to be extraordinary and unsurprising at the same time. Trump is just 16 months into his term, with fellow Republicans controlling both houses of Congress after an eight-year Democratic presidency. Yet the GOP's deep-seated anti-government stance leaves the modern party with fundamental reflexes of negation.

 

Those reflexes block action on the bold promises that once positioned candidate Trump to deliver infrastructure investments pleasing business and working class supporters alike. Investments cost money. And after the $1.5 trillion tax cut that represents their only major Trump-era achievement so far, Republicans don't think they have any.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And yet...

 

 

 

I'm not someone who puts a lot of stock into one data point, or even polling heading up to November in general, but what the hell? What exactly has the GOP done in the past few months that's suddenly encouraged people that they need to maintain power?

 

The only thing I can think of is people thinking Trump is somehow accomplishing things by setting up a North Korea summit. It's too early to bake in the Iran deal stuff.

 

Perhaps America wants to spend another 6 years owning the libs. GOP governance is going so great, after all. Democrats really need that time to figure out how much they suck, apparently.

 

At what point do we as a country declare the wait & see phase for this Congress over? What would actually be a bridge too far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, pretty sure this is the type of Moiraine is complaining about when she talks about money in politics.

 

 

Coleman being a former MN Senator turned politician & chair of the Republican Jewish Coalition.

 

So Paul Ryan sees nothing, hears nothing, but leaves with a $30M check from Adelson. 

 

Who needs to appeal to the American people when Sheldon Adelson can cut you a check for $30 million because he loves what you've done for Israel.

 

Just kidding. That much money flowing directly to a party from one person is absurd.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

And yet...

 

 

 

I'm not someone who puts a lot of stock into one data point, or even polling heading up to November in general, but what the hell? What exactly has the GOP done in the past few months that's suddenly encouraged people that they need to maintain power?

 

The only thing I can think of is people thinking Trump is somehow accomplishing things by setting up a North Korea summit. It's too early to bake in the Iran deal stuff.

 

Perhaps America wants to spend another 6 years owning the libs. GOP governance is going so great, after all. Democrats really need that time to figure out how much they suck, apparently.

 

At what point do we as a country declare the wait & see phase for this Congress over? What would actually be a bridge too far?

The gap has been closing, but the 538 generic ballot (that considers a bunch of polls) has the Dems up 6 points on the Repubs.

 

As someone who thinks the Dems need to make big changes, I'm not at all surprised that the tiny changes they've made aren't enough to separate themselves from the Repubs. But there's a lot of time between now and the midterm elections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

 

Most Republicans now think Trump is being framed by the FBI

 

Only 13 percent of Republicans say that special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation is a “legitimate investigation” — instead, three-quarters of Republicans agree with President Donald Trump that it’s a “witch hunt.”

 

Meanwhile, 76 percent of Democrats consider it a legitimate investigation. That’s according to a new Economist/YouGov survey of 1,500 adults between May 6 and 8 about the investigation.

 

What’s more, 61 percent of Republicans believe the FBI is framing Trump. Just 17 percent of Republicans say that the nation’s federal law enforcement agency isn’t after the president, and about a fifth — 21 percent — weren’t sure.

 

A quarter of independents — 25 percent — think Trump is being framed, with 39 percent saying he is not. Nearly 80 percent of Democrats (78 percent) say Trump isn’t being framed; 7 percent of Democrats think he is and 15 percent aren’t sure.

 

The responses to questions about Trump in this Economist/YouGov survey are an example of the country’s political polarization and reflect recent trends of Republicans losing confidence in the FBI. It’s also another sign of the effectiveness of Trump’s messaging with the GOP that Republicans are now so deeply skeptical of federal law enforcement.

 

 

 

 

 

We see this kind of brainwashing right here on HuskerBoard.  Trump's followers refuse to even take part in discussions surrounding his scandals, instead posting little snippets of angry rhetoric, then running away when the "liberals" post facts in response. 

 

When all you consume is propaganda, it becomes real to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, knapplc said:

 

We see this kind of brainwashing right here on HuskerBoard.  Trump's followers refuse to even take part in discussions surrounding his scandals, instead posting little snippets of angry rhetoric, then running away when the "liberals" post facts in response. 

 

When all you consume is propaganda, it becomes real to you.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/education-not-income-predicted-who-would-vote-for-trump/

 

I honestly think this article has a lot to do with this whole situation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

 

 

 

 

 

We see this kind of brainwashing right here on HuskerBoard.  Trump's followers refuse to even take part in discussions surrounding his scandals, instead posting little snippets of angry rhetoric, then running away when the "liberals" post facts in response. 

 

When all you consume is propaganda, it becomes real to you.

Big different from the Nixon era.  As I recall, there were many repubs standing wt dems to voice their disgust of Nixon, the Sat night masacre, and all things Watergate.   Today's Repub party has picked a pretty low hill to die on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

 

 

"Songbird John"

 

Tell me again about how much the GOP respects the military?

 

Edit:

 

Nice. 

 

"A White House official mocked Sen. John McCain’s brain cancer diagnosis at an internal meeting on Thursday, a day after the Arizona Republican announced his opposition to President Trump’s nominee for CIA director, Gina Haspel. Special assistant Kelly Sadler made the derisive comments during a closed-door White House meeting of about two-dozen communications staffers on Thursday morning. “It doesn’t matter, he’s dying anyway,” Sadler said, according to a source familiar with the remarks at the meeting."

 

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/387182-white-house-official-mocked-dying-mccain-at-internal-meeting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Big different from the Nixon era.  As I recall, there were many repubs standing wt dems to voice their disgust of Nixon, the Sat night masacre, and all things Watergate.   Today's Repub party has picked a pretty low hill to die on.

 

 

Back then the news was news.

 

What's surprising is how many people who lived through it are duped by Fox.

 

Then you have younger people who google search for what they want to hear.

 

I don't think our government/country will withstand things if they stay this way or get worse. I kinda wonder about the world too because a lot of other countries are susceptible to the same problem. They just don't all have their version of Trump (yet).  There's not a huge chasm between having a population that doesn't know what's real and having government controlled media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Good God almighty they're just the worst people imaginable. This is now the second person joke around at a dying man's expense.
 

 

 

This comes after the fit that was just thrown over the 'perfect smokey eye' jokes. There are so many inconsistencies with this administration it is maddening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Good God almighty they're just the worst people imaginable. This is now the second person joke around at a dying man's expense.
 

 

I see comments similar to this on twitter and I dismiss them as trolls and bots. Then later in the day on a talk radio show I hear how the conservative host is very upset because a bunch of people are texting in these same kinds of comments. What a bunch of s#!tty people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

 

 

 

So they either weren't invited or they all said no.

 

Also, if this is about military spouses (not wives), why aren't there a few men?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

So they either weren't invited or they all said no.

 

Also, if this is about military spouses (not wives), why aren't there a few men?

 

Because the 1950s culture was the most correct culture & the one to which we must return. Men are off at work & women only leave the kitchen when they can be trotted out for ceremonial functions like these. Back when everyone knew their place.

 

Even if they shoot the moon & miss, fallback is we just wind up with Reagan-era culture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

 

I'm surprised Okla City isn't considering it or being considered. Okla is the redist of the red states wt all 77 counties going for Trump. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I'm surprised Okla City isn't considering it or being considered. Okla is the redist of the red states wt all 77 counties going for Trump. 

 

My thought was that it's probably going to end up in Omaha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

"Most of the cities that have turned down the RNC are Democratic cities," said Evan Siegfried, a New York-based Republican strategist.

I also have on good authority that most water is wet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember when Hillary Clinton engaged in personal enrichment by PERSONALLY selling the Russians 20% of our uranium?

 

I'm guessing the people who do have no complaints about Qatar having our Middle East guy in their pocket.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Remember when Hillary Clinton engaged in personal enrichment by PERSONALLY selling the Russians 20% of our uranium?

 

I'm guessing the people who do have no complaints about Qatar having our Middle East guy in their pocket.

 

 

No wonder it is 'failing' - look at that address   666 Fifth Avenue    :ahhhhhhhh

Trump and family will use every opportunity to use govt to proper their family interests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There never seems to be a timeframe for the America we want to return to; the "Again" part of Make America Great Again.

 

If you could nail it down, you could review the policies in place and we could replicate them.

 

But I think we all know why that's so awkward. If we're going back to the "Leave it To Beaver" era, we would need to significantly raise taxes on the wealthy, celebrate science, take leadership in global treaties and diplomacy, invest heavily in infrastructure, and return to the economic model where the CEO makes 57 times more than his average worker, rather than 1,000 times more. 

 

The Republican Utopia is a Thomas Kinkaide painting. You don't have to spell it out — you just know there are no people of color or off-brand religions in that idyllic town that doesn't exist. 

 

MAGA is about nothing more than returning to that simpler time when no one had to apologize for white privilege. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

No wonder it is 'failing' - look at that address   666 Fifth Avenue    :ahhhhhhhh

Trump and family will use every opportunity to use govt to proper their family interests.

FYI, turns out 666 was a mistranslation, the number of the beast is actually 616:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/revelation-666-is-not-the-number-of-the-beast-its-a-devilish-616-5349692.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

 

39 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Ok what building does Trump and family owe at 616...:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I guess there has been some discussion if one dose a search on this topic . 

Here is a long article and I copied the conclusion after it.  (But we are getting a wee bit off topic)

https://www.endtime.com/blog/666-or-616-the-number-of-the-beast/

Quote

And his number is Six hundred threescore and six.” This statement from the last days’ prophecy of Revelation 13 gives a clue to the identity of the antichrist. God’s stated purpose in this verse is that we understand it correctly. This is especially true for those of us who live in the days immediately preceding the coming of Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, some have questioned the accuracy of 666 as the number of the beast. Some have suggested that 616 is the real number. However, the majority of almost 300 Greek manuscripts, including the oldest and most valued, along with the evidence of early church writings and translations, all stand together as a great witness to the authenticity of 666 against a rather small set of four manuscripts and one early writer that make their claim for 616.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I guess there has been some discussion if one dose a search on this topic . 

Here is a long article and I copied the conclusion after it.  (But we are getting a wee bit off topic)

https://www.endtime.com/blog/666-or-616-the-number-of-the-beast/

 

Oh My.....

 

I got to thinking about this when I was reading your post.  What if the number really is 616 and Trump was born on June 16th.


So....I looked...HE'S CLOSE....He was born on June 14th.

 

I could start believing he's the antichrist.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I think the antichrist is supposed to be well-loved. Maybe whoever saves us from Trump will be the antichrist.

Image result for trump evangelicals praying

 

He seems well loved by those who believe they're closest to God. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Fru said:

Image result for trump evangelicals praying

 

He seems well loved by those who believe they're closest to God. 

 

 

ok, universally loved then. The antichrist will probably not be someone the majority consider to be an asshole. and a world leader. The world thinks Trump is a dumb ass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There never seems to be a timeframe for the America we want to return to; the "Again" part of Make America Great Again.

 

If you could nail it down, you could review the policies in place and we could replicate them.

 

But I think we all know why that's so awkward. If we're going back to the "Leave it To Beaver" era, we would need to significantly raise taxes on the wealthy, celebrate science, take leadership in global treaties and diplomacy, invest heavily in infrastructure, and return to the economic model where the CEO makes 57 times more than his average worker, rather than 1,000 times more. 

 

The Republican Utopia is a Thomas Kinkaide painting. You don't have to spell it out — you just know there are no people of color or off-brand religions in that idyllic town that doesn't exist. 

 

MAGA is about nothing more than returning to that simpler time when no one had to apologize for white privilege. 

 

giphy.gif

I'd add that the disparate GOP factions have different endgames, but even the ones that DON'T necessarily want what you described are OK pandering to the voters who do to achieve their own ends.

It's a big part of why the modern day GOP is where it's at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fru said:

Image result for trump evangelicals praying

 

He seems well loved by those who believe they're closest to God. 

 

 

 

Don't be confused on who those people are. People actually close to God might have love for Trump as a human being we're called to love like anybody, but few of them are supporters or fans of his.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Don't be confused on who those people are. People actually close to God might have love for Trump as a human being we're called to love like anybody, but few of them are supporters or fans of his.

 

 

I think you're giving people too much credit. Obviously there are some out there who will pray for everyone, including their enemies. But many of these people think God helped Trump get elected. I've posted quotes before of some of these people who pray with Trump who've said, while praising Trump, that it just didn't feel the same with Obama.

 

It was pretty hysterical when Trump was inaugurated how many people on my FB friends posted that they're praying for him and how many of them said the same for Obama. (That would be zero).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

I think you're giving people too much credit. Obviously there are some out there who will pray for everyone, including their enemies. But many of these people think God helped Trump get elected. I've posted quotes before of some of these people who pray with Trump who've said, while praising Trump, that it just didn't feel the same with Obama.

 

 

I'm saying that the people you are referencing are not close to God.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2018 at 2:37 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

MAGA is about nothing more than returning to that simpler time when no one had to apologize for white privilege. 

 

If that's all it was, then I don't think it would be that big of a deal.  Side note: White privilege is real, however, it exists far above my station in life.  White privilege is almost exclusively reserved for upper class Protestants.  The stereo-typical WASP family that looks like they were painted by Norman Rockwell.

 

Instead, MAGA is so much more insidious than just "white privilege" alone.

 

MAGA, as a slogan/propaganda, is about erasing ALL non-whites, non-christians, immigrants, and all other "undesireables" from the American landscape.  It's about going back to a time when white men could murder non-whites, non-christians, LBGT people, commies, slap/abuse their wives/girlfriends around, say the N word, be as completely racist, bigoted, and homophobic as they want--with no fear of being fired or having to endure any other type of social blowback/retribution.

 

That's what makes MAGA as propaganda so dangerous; it is the willful adoption of the neo-nazi agenda and "normalizing" it under more "palatable" rhetoric.  

 

This is why Trump is so dangerous.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×