The Republican Utopia

Some light reading about the myth of taking business experience into the world of federal government and why Trump ISN'T well equipped to use his to succeed.

Trump is trying to run the government like his business. That's why he's failing.

CEOs don’t persuade people; they dictate. And they fire those who refuse to carry out their demands. Even more importantly, a CEO of a privately held company (like the Trump organization) operates like a king over his personal fiefdom. His employees work for him; they have no higher obligation to shareholders.

This is how Trump has governed — demanding do-or-die votes in Congress, threatening legislators who don’t toe the line, and bullying a FBI director into abandoning an inconvenient investigation.

You can behave like this when you’re the chief executive of a company with your name on it. But it doesn’t work and is wildly inappropriate when you’re the president of the United States.

To better understand why Trump’s business ethos is failing him, I reached out to Gautam Mukunda, a political scientist and professor at the Harvard Business School. I asked Mukunda why Trump’s unique business background has ill-equipped him for this job, and why his self-destructive behavior makes sense when you consider how Trump has operated in the private sector his entire career.

Here’s what he told me.

• Fire 1

Some light reading about the myth of taking business experience into the world of federal government and why Trump ISN'T well equipped to use his to succeed.

Trump is trying to run the government like his business. That's why he's failing.

CEOs don’t persuade people; they dictate. And they fire those who refuse to carry out their demands. Even more importantly, a CEO of a privately held company (like the Trump organization) operates like a king over his personal fiefdom. His employees work for him; they have no higher obligation to shareholders.

This is how Trump has governed — demanding do-or-die votes in Congress, threatening legislators who don’t toe the line, and bullying a FBI director into abandoning an inconvenient investigation.

You can behave like this when you’re the chief executive of a company with your name on it. But it doesn’t work and is wildly inappropriate when you’re the president of the United States.

To better understand why Trump’s business ethos is failing him, I reached out to Gautam Mukunda, a political scientist and professor at the Harvard Business School. I asked Mukunda why Trump’s unique business background has ill-equipped him for this job, and why his self-destructive behavior makes sense when you consider how Trump has operated in the private sector his entire career.

Here’s what he told me.

Add in that his businesses aren't even particularly successful anyways and you really have a recipe for disaster.

I've had similar thoughts about the wealthy making economic decisions.

Is there any correlation at all between being rich and understanding Economics?

Ok....do all rich people understand economics? Hell no.

But.....are good economists that are smart enough to make policies going to be rich???? Ya... pretty much.

Who are you going to get??? Billy Joe Jimbob from the tire store to stop selling mudders to make economic policy????

Some people's hatred of rich people.....

• Fire 1