The Republican Utopia

The bullshitter-in-chief: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/5/30/15631710/trump-bullsh#t

The annals of Trumpdown are simply littered with this kind of casual, fundamentally pointless falsehood:

-He told the Economist that he invented the phrase “prime the pump.”

-He says China stopped manipulating its currency only after he won the election.

-He says “millions” of illegal voters cost him the popular vote.

-He claims to have had an incredibly productive first 100 days in office.

-He says labor force dropouts are counted as employed by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

-He says Germany and other NATO members owe money to the United States.

Trump's lies are manifold and manifest. They function, as Yglesias argues persuasively, is both to test his subordinates' loyalty and to bring them to heel -- separating them from any semblance of independence in the public eye.

All that is required to stop this horrific display of incompetence and malice is for everyone who recognizes it to stand up and call him out. But many who see it plain as day do not. They are Republican congressmen who don't recognize that there even is a test before them and are failing it spectacularly. They have chosen to tie their party to Trump's ship and have placed party over country. They will not stop this, because in all the important ways this is the utopia they want.

• Fire 1

Just to add to the above, let's say my mom had turned her successful business into a chain and it had blown up. It's my opinion that wouldn't have required her to be an expert on national economy.

So let's say she was filthy rich. She would still not know much of anything about the national economy. She'd know about running her very specific business. She could maybe give some sort of input but she would absolutely not be someone who should be in a big role when it comes to making economic policy.

That is all I have been saying. Being rich doesn't mean you understand economy.

I think I have identified the disconnect in our conversation.

YOU are mainly talking about people who believe Trump is some form of expert in economics because he is rich. With that thought, you call it BS because there is no correlation between him being rich and being some form of expert in macro economics. I 100% completely agree with you and also believe Trump is a blubbering idiot.

I have been talking about people who constantly rant against the fact that "rich people are in charge of the economy" and rail against the fact that rich people from Wall Street get hired to manage the Federal Reserve.

We both agree with what you are saying. Not sure if we both agree with what I have been saying.

This thread is an EXCELLENT critique of both sides right now, well worth your time. There's even some John Wayne thrown in for good measure!

As a bonus, this gives a nod to how I've suggested is the best way to deal with Trump: punch him in the nose.

+1+1+1+1

• Fire 2

This thread is an EXCELLENT critique of both sides right now, well worth your time. There's even some John Wayne thrown in for good measure!

As a bonus, this gives a nod to how I've suggested is the best way to deal with Trump: punch him in the nose.

That was an interesting take on the situation. I agree/disagree with some of it (mostly agree), but incredibly interesting nonetheless.

I've mentioned my in-laws on here before because of their hardcore conservative mentalities, and it manifested itself once again with the Portland attacks. I remember the day it happened I stopped by their house to pick up my dog and started chatting. I asked if they'd seen the news about it and they'd said no, so I briefly explained what had happened. My mother-in-law asked something along the lines of 'why did the man do it' and I explained that it was essentially a hate crime. Her response was 'Oh,' and I could see the conflict in her face of innocent people being killed but also that this attacker harbored extreme conservative values.

She then looked down, looked away and started talking about something else. They've often been quick to condemn terrorist attacks, discuss them ad nauseam and demonize radical Islam (they do respect the Islamic religion, at least). But, to see this reaction to the Portland attack is just one minute example of what this Twitter thread illustrated.

• Fire 2

Jared Kushner still has a job because Washington only fears Republicans: https://theintercept.com/2017/06/02/jared-kushner-still-has-a-job-because-washington-only-fears-republicans/

WE DON’T KNOW the reality underlying recent reporting about Jared Kushner’s meetings this past December with the Russian ambassador to the U.S. and the head of Russia’s government-owned development bank. The only two plausible explanations seem to be that Kushner was involved in something supremely sketchy, or that he’s extraordinarily naïve and incompetent.

What we do know for certain is that if the Washington Post and New York Times had run similar stories about the top-level son-in-law aide to a Democratic president, that son-in-law would have been out the White House door before the dead-tree versions of the newspapers hit doorsteps the next morning.

I'm thankful for The Intercept.