Immigration Ban

https://twitter.com/thinkprogress/status/896076489602420737

A high school graduate who was twice granted temporary deportation relief under a Obama-era program was deported to El Salvador on Wednesday, indicating that the Trump administration is not stopping its relentless crackdown of undocumented immigrants who have been in the country since they were children.

(...)“He’s been calling me crying, ‘I don’t know anyone here and I don’t like it here. What can I do?’ And I tell him, ‘I don’t know what to do,'” Mario’s mother said, choking back tears. “He never had problems in school. He always went to class. He graduated from high school. His only issue was his error in committed with his driving otherwise he didn’t have any problems.”

Making America Great Again.

• 4 weeks later...

But hey, that's clearly a bridge too far. That's far too much for us peasants to demand.

Instead we'll get a cowardly old man (Trump) sending another feckless, cowardly old man (Sessions) out in front of cameras to announce this complete 180 on important policy  (and broken promise to Dreamers) and he'll scurry away from the podium just as fast as he's done reading his prepared statement about restoring law & order and faith in our constitution.

What a joke this entire administration is. A bad one.

• Plus1 1

Thread breaking down this tremendous string of political cowardice by Sessions & Trump:

Notably, they continue to lie about circumstances and hide behind "law and order" rhetoric. The fact of the matter is, despite the fact that technically Dreamers are here illegally, our immigration law is woefully out of date and if they commit a crime, they cannot re-up for another term of protection every 2 years.

Saying they "pose a threat" to Americans is abject nonsense. 

• Plus1 1

Here's Paul Ryan's statement.  The play here for Trump/the Republicans could be two-fold:

1)  Another slap in the face for Obama by repealing yet another of his accomplishments.

2)  The Republicans craft a law that saves the Dreamers - as hinted at by Ryan's statement - in time to be good PR for the 2018 mid-terms.  The GOP needs all the good press it can get after the ACA fiasco.

It IS cowardice in the sense that Trump is just towing the company line, in a total flip-flop from his own previous position.

Trump in 2012:

Trump in 2017:

Trump, today:

Sends out a man he's thoroughly embarrassed and emasculated publicly to make this announcement for him. 

He lied to those kids, and now he's going to pass the buck to Congress and tell them to fix the problem for him. Maybe he'll try to leverage some wall-funding out of the deal. But do you expect him to show "great heart" and really dig in to the legislative details and learn the laws and try to protect these kids? 

I don't. He doesn't give a crap if these kids get deported or where they end up. This is just checking another box to him in his quest to undo more Obama stuff.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Here's Paul Ryan's statement.  The play here for Trump/the Republicans could be two-fold:

1)  Another slap in the face for Obama by repealing yet another of his accomplishments.

2)  The Republicans craft a law that saves the Dreamers - as hinted at by Ryan's statement - in time to be good PR for the 2018 mid-terms.  The GOP needs all the good press it can get after the ACA fiasco.

Your point number 2 is really interesting. It's kind of a best of both worlds scenario for the GOP.

Congress gets a win for 2018 by saving DACA and by 2020 this likely won't even be a problem for Trump as it's just another drop in the bucket of craziness that is going on. If the Arpiao pardon didn't drop Trump's approvals this won't do much either and it makes the nutters happy.

Trump's approval rating (or, his "disapproval" rating) is about bottomed out.  Short of murdering children on live TV, I don't think there's anything he could do at this point to lose the people that are still supporting him and attending his rallies. 

I don't think any decision he's making anymore has anything to do with how it'll look to anyone. He's not going to craft policy with anyone but his hardcore base in mind from now on.

• Plus1 3