Immigration Ban

3 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

I sense I may be out on a limb alone here in feeling REALLY passionately about this being a stupid, morally bankrupt decision. That's OK. It's a pet issue for me.

But it just pains me that this is an accurate description of our president right now:

I don't doubt this for one minute.  He has no clue - he'll come out within a week of congress debating it and turn directions.  

Egos.  These thin skinned, small penis'd, GOP leaders can't handle the fact that something done by an african american man, that made sense and actually showed empathy and laid out a solution to a "problem" made logical sense.  

• So we're sending American children back to countries they've never known.
  • We're blocking immigration by building walls and turning others with non-white skin away.
  • We have a man in the top office in the land supporting white supremecy.  
  • We are allowing mentally unfit to purchase guns.
  • We are taking away the right to vote from citizens.
  • We are forgiving elected officials who break the law via presidential pardon.

Theres more, I know it - just too mentally exhausted.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Can someone please explain something to me???

What needs "fixed" that can't be "fixed" without threatening the future of these kids?

If it was a less erratic, more cerebral president and a more competent Congress, I would suggest this is some brinksmanship. Perhaps they think they could bait Congress into  action on finally legislating immigration reform by ripping the safety net of DACA out from underneath them. The GOP LOVES to campaign on how bad it is, particularly in hardcore conservative districts where anti-immigrant sentiment will play well. By removing the safety net, Congress is forced to either act or look like the bad guys.

However, it's Trump, and it's this Congress. He's trying to pass the buck, and Congress is trying to pass it right back:

Rubio, who ran like a madman away from his Gang of 8 days during the primary to try to appeal to his base, is asking this White House for guidance on immigration reform. This after his President making it clear he was simply punting the issue to Congress. Nobody wants to be left holding the bag.

I think Trump just wants to try to use this to get money for the Wall™️.

8 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

If it was a less erratic, more cerebral president and a more competent Congress, I would suggest this is some brinksmanship. Perhaps they think they could bait Congress into  action on finally legislating immigration reform by ripping the safety net of DACA out from underneath them. The GOP LOVES to campaign on how bad it is, particularly in hardcore conservative districts where anti-immigrant sentiment will play well. By removing the safety net, Congress is forced to either act or look like the bad guys.

However, it's Trump, and it's this Congress. He's trying to pass the buck, and Congress is trying to pass it right back:

Rubio, who ran like a madman away from his Gang of 8 days during the primary to try to appeal to his base, is asking this White House for guidance on immigration reform. This after his President making it clear he was simply punting the issue to Congress. Nobody wants to be left holding the bag.

I think Trump just wants to try to use this to get money for the Wall™️.

You don't need the president's signature if you work with Democrats on this issue, you moron.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You don't need the president's signature if you work with Democrats on this issue, you moron.

:lol:

But it's Rubio. A guy who likes to project himself as mature, bipartisan & above the political fray but would never actually take actions to prove as much in practice.  He explicitly ran away from his now immigration bill to try to win conservative votes.

• Plus1 1

Trump has put the ball back in Congress' court where it belongs.  They have 6 months to create something satisfactory to as many as possible.  Those of you living in democratic states need to urge your representatives to work with republicans and craft a bill that keeps these kids here.  It's time to reject the fringe 5% on the left and right and say this bill is too important to not work together.  I will urge my congressmen to get the ball rolling here.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, TonyStalloni said:

Trump has put the ball back in Congress' court where it belongs.  They have 6 months to create something satisfactory to as many as possible.  Those of you living in democratic states need to urge your representatives to work with republicans and craft a bill that keeps these kids here.  It's time to reject the fringe 5% on the left and right and say this bill is too important to not work together.  I will urge my congressmen to get the ball rolling here.  

I agree with this. It's sad that it takes Trump making an awful mistake he didn't fully understand like ending DACA for immigration reform to be considered, but here we are. It needs to be addressed.

I just wish I shared your optimism. I don't. Obama asked for this mythical bill for a LONG time. Never came.

7 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

I agree with this. It's sad that it takes Trump making an awful mistake he didn't fully understand like ending DACA for immigration reform to be considered, but here we are. It needs to be addressed.

I just wish I shared your optimism. I don't. Obama asked for this mythical bill for a LONG time. Never came.

I know it appears harsh and cold but if this is what it takes to get the two parties to take a step towards the middle and work together then I hope they will take the opportunity and do so.  Those of us on both sides need to push this.

It doesn't "appear" harsh and cold, it IS harsh and cold. 

And stop with this "both parties" thing. It's not "both parties" causing this problem, it's the Republicans, period.  The Republicans, as shown in that tweet, have had zero interest in immigration reform, zero interest in helping these people, and seem far more focused on figuring out how to hoodwink the American people into paying for Trump's wall than in working with Democrats.

Republicans had a golden opportunity to work with Democrats on healthcare reform.  They decided they'd rather renege on a campaign promise and fail to repeal Obamacare than work in a bipartisan fashion to ensure Americans had proper, affordable healthcare.  If they're not willing to do that for White Americans, what makes anyone think they're going to magically come around and work with Democrats to create a new immigration policy that benefits non-Whites? 

We'll have Trump's wall before we have a replacement for DACA, and it'll be entirely because the GOP doesn't care about a huge chunk of Americans. 

"Both parties."  Pfffffffffffff!

• Plus1 7
9 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

So.....to get congress to act, it took Trump drastically disrupting people's lives and causing undue stress?  This is just idiotic and clearly done by people who have no clue what they are doing and have their priorities completely twisted.

• Plus1 2