Immigration Ban

7 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

So you are making assumptions?

Anyone who has driven over the speed limit and not been pulled over and taken a class or paid a fine for it each time they do it is living with having broken the law and never paying for it.

The fact of the matter is, them living here illegally isn't the only factor involved here, because the vast majority of Americans do illegal things. What needs to be weighed is the cost to the U.S. of them being here, and the cost to remove them. At the same time we can try to control the flow of illegal immigrants entering the U.S., and again, weigh the cost to the U.S. of them entering and the cost of stopping them from entering.

We can get into morality too, especially if they were brought here when they were a child. A Christian shouldn't consider the law more important than morality.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

My point was to show the other poster, you don't know me at all..

Wrong, if I break the law I break the law, I can pay a fine/make restitution and be clear... it is done with.  Illegals are here everyday, and by being here everyday they are continually breaking the law.. day in and day out. The only restitution for them is leaving, thus they are no longer breaking the law, and coming back through proper legal channels.

Why is that the only restitution? Why can't they get away with just a slap on the wrist like paying a fine when they get caught? And why are you so concerned with people breaking this one particular law?

So what if some people are in the US without meeting all the regulations? If they aren't endangering other people, then I don't really care.

• Plus1 1

Since you like "The Hill" here's an article (not an op-ed) written at the same time as that op-ed:

http://thehill.com/latino/324607-reports-find-that-immigrants-commit-less-crime-than-us-born-citizens

And an in-depth study from the prominent Libretarian think-tank, The Cato Institute:

https://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/immigration_brief-1.pdf

A comprehensive review of academic research involving immigrants and crime:

https://www.cato.org/blog/immigration-crime-what-research-says

All of them say the same thing - The immigrant and illegal immigrant crime rate is significantly lower than the general population crime rate.  Same with the incarceration rate.

• Plus1 3

Because the guy is an idiot and doesn't have a clue what the issues are to be able to actually articulate a meaningful suggestion....he's just smart enough to realize it so he doesn't suggest anything.  He'll then act like it was all him that created this great bill when he signs it.....even though he still won't have a clue what is actually in it.

McConnell is smart enough to realize this and he's putting him on the spot publicly.  

Edited by BigRedBuster

5 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

Something I find hilarious.. posters thinking illegal immigration is on the same level as speeding, or jay walking... funniest thing I have read all day.

That you see illegal immigration as more sinister than speeding or jaywalking makes me laugh. Good times had by all, I guess.

15 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

Something I find hilarious.. posters thinking illegal immigration is on the same level as speeding, or jay walking... funniest thing I have read all day.

The fact you don't see a problem with destroying a family and someone's life that has been here for over 30 years and was brought here as a small child and now has been a productive member of society with a family and has paid taxes his entire life and doesn't have a criminal record .....doesn't make me laugh.

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 5
18 minutes ago, Fru said:

Something I find hilarious is how the descendants of immigrants badmouth immigrants. 

I stand corrected... this is even funnier. Comparing the immigrants that came here and either helped start this country or gain citizenship legally is being compared to illegals that don't give a damn about the law... THAT is the funniest thing I have read.

36 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The fact you don't see a problem with destroying a family and someone's life that has been here for over 30 years and was brought here as a small child and now has been a productive member of society with a family and has paid taxes his entire life and doesn't have a criminal record .....doesn't make me laugh.

curious.. if a citizen in this country breaks the law will the government care that I have family or will I have to pay for the crime committed?

and the 30 year thing.. really? if a person has been here 30 years and has never tried to become a legal citizen, then you damn right they should be shipped back. That clearly shows they have not even bothered to try to become legal, which means they have been breaking more than the law of citizenship.

Edited by Bornhusker

8 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

curious.. if a citizen in this country breaks the law will the government care that I have family or will I have to pay for the crime committed?

and the 30 year thing.. really? if a person has been here 30 years and has never tried to become a legal citizen, then you damn right they should be shipped back. That clearly shows they have not even bothered to try to become legal, which means the have been breaking more than the law of citizenship.

The fact that you're telling undocumented immigrants that they're wrong for not seeking citizenship while at the same time calling them lawless criminals that don't give a damn about the law betray your ignorance on the subject. Of course they haven't tried to become legal citizens - they have no legal path to do so. Politicians haven't had the courage to give them one when they've had the chance to do so. Of course, the gang of 8 tried to do so in 2013... but John Boehner & the GOP House was more interested in demonizing immigrants than, say, reducing the federal deficit, adding more revenue or increasing wages for workers.

And of course, noted political coward Marco Rubio has been running away from his work on that bill ever since.

36 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

and the 30 year thing.. really? if a person has been here 30 years and has never tried to become a legal citizen, then you damn right they should be shipped back. That clearly shows they have not even bothered to try to become legal, which means they have been breaking more than the law of citizenship.

FYI, it's not illegal to be in the US without documentation. You can be deported, but it's not illegal nor criminal.

13 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

The fact that you're telling undocumented immigrants that they're wrong for not seeking citizenship while at the same time calling them lawless criminals that don't give a damn about the law betray your ignorance on the subject. Of course they haven't tried to become legal citizens - they have no legal path to do so. Politicians haven't had the courage to give them one when they've had the chance to do so. Of course, the gang of 8 tried to do so in 2013... but John Boehner & the GOP House was more interested in demonizing immigrants than, say, reducing the federal deficit, adding more revenue or increasing wages for workers.

And of course, noted political coward Marco Rubio has been running away from his work on that bill ever since.

you are correct, I thought there already was a path for them. There should be.

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

you are correct, I thought there already was a path for them. There should be.

Kudos. I agree.

It seems like there's been a widening gap on this issue. Dems who used to be more moderate on the issue now strongly support a pathway to citizenship while the GOP activists (and influential media) are pushing for a hardline approach involving no concessions & deportations under Trump.

Looks like it's coming to a head with this bill they're trying to hammer out, though. Crazy to see McConnell publicly announce he needed to find out what Trump supported before acting today. It's going to be very interesting to see what happens.

Edited by dudeguyy