Immigration Ban

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

There are absolutely those saying we should admit anyone who wants to come. That’s the end result of the open/no borders crowd. 

The simple truth is that we can’t take everyone and have to make decisions about who we allow to come and who we don’t. We also have to balance our desire to help those in need with our responsibility to protect ourselves from those who would do us harm...and who might pretend to be refugees to do so.

Who wants open borders that matters in the discussion? You're using hyperbolic statements as a way to justify your own misguided opinion, one that so far you have been unable to justify with facts. How many refugees have committed a terrorist attack in the US?

• Plus1 2

12 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

There are absolutely those saying we should admit anyone who wants to come. That’s the end result of the open/no borders crowd. 

The simple truth is that we can’t take everyone and have to make decisions about who we allow to come and who we don’t. We also have to balance our desire to help those in need with our responsibility to protect ourselves from those who would do us harm...and who might pretend to be refugees to do so.

Is there any legislation being put forth regarding the bolded?

On 4/11/2018 at 8:38 AM, ZRod said:

Who wants open borders that matters in the discussion? You're using hyperbolic statements as a way to justify your own misguided opinion, one that so far you have been unable to justify with facts. How many refugees have committed a terrorist attack in the US?

I’m continually amazed at how some struggle so mightily with a simple Google search.

http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/thought-experiment-what-if-the-us-had-100-open-borders

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/02/open-borders_n_5737722.html

https://www.salon.com/2017/03/15/everyones-wrong-on-immigration-open-borders-are-the-only-way-to-defeat-trump-and-build-a-better-world/

https://newint.org/blog/2017/11/29/why-open-borders

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

i can pull up some far right wing blogs that call for 100%  closed borders also.   most americans fall somewhere between.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

And  your impression is that this is a major proposal that people are actively trying to accomplish politically?

41 minutes ago, commando said:

i can pull up some far right wing blogs that call for 100%  closed borders also.   most americans fall somewhere between.

No doubt such blogs exist. So what? I was asked to provide evidence that there are people who advocate for open borders.

Similarly, no doubt that most Americans fall between those two extremes.

42 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And  your impression is that this is a major proposal that people are actively trying to accomplish politically?

No, that’s not my impression at all.

Just now, Ric Flair said:

No doubt such blogs exist. So what? I was asked to provide evidence that there are people who advocate for open borders.

Similarly, no doubt that most Americans fall between those two extremes.

No, that’s not my impression at all.

so...you made a mountain out of the molehill of people who advocate for 100% open borders.  :dunno

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

No, I said there are some who advocate for open borders. Some here disputed that. I proved them clearly wrong.

Hooray for me I guess. :D

Who in this thread genuinely argued for open borders? Who in the legislature is calling for open borders? Why even bring it up if it's not a real discuss?

I can find comments online of people calling for closed borders or to jail all Mexicans but what does that really add to the discussion?

Edited by ZRod
  • Plus1 2
13 hours ago, ZRod said:

Who in this thread genuinely argued for open borders? Who in the legislature is calling for open borders? Why even bring it up if it's not a real discuss?

I can find comments online of people calling for closed borders or to jail all Mexicans but what does that really add to the discussion?

It is a real discussion...from a growing number of liberals. Only a relative handful are openly championing open borders. But an increasing number of liberals seem to be moving in that direction. It’s getting harder and harder to get liberals to take a position on who we can keep out. I think it’s a matter of time before Democrats openly champion open borders.

What’s ironic is that liberal welfare state nonsense is at least one of the main impediments of open borders. If people would simply come here to work, I doubt many would care. But when they immediately qualify for all manner of handouts, the notion of open borders becomes absurd. 

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It is a real discussion...from a growing number of liberals. Only a relative handful are openly championing open borders. But an increasing number of liberals seem to be moving in that direction. It’s getting harder and harder to get liberals to take a position on who we can keep out. I think it’s a matter of time before Democrats openly champion open borders.

What’s ironic is that liberal welfare state nonsense is at least one of the main impediments of open borders. If people would simply come here to work, I doubt many would care. But when they immediately qualify for all manner of handouts, the notion of open borders becomes absurd. 

What you're seeing is merely a reflection of opposition to Trump from liberals. He's trying to take the country in a distinctly anti-immigrant direction, and people are resisting that. I applaud them for it. 

But to say they suddenly champion open borders? Ridiculous. Find me politicians calling for open borders. Beyond some quote from Hillary to bankers, because she doesn't hold elected office. You're arguing liberals support something that they don't, because it's got little to no political constituency in the U.S.

Can you provide proof for the bolded? Because I'm pretty sure that's not how immigrating here works.

• Plus1 1