Immigration Ban

A law enforcement official confirmed Monday that a man detained by immigration agents in a video that has since gone viral is wanted on an arrest warrant for homicide in Mexico.

The Guanajuato State official who was not authorized to be quoted would not tell The Associated Press when the crime occurred but did say it was an “intentional homicide case akin to a U.S. murder charge.”

CBS2 News spoke to a law enforcement official in Guanajuato Monday who would not use the word “warrant,” but she did confirm police there have been looking to talk to Joel Arrona-Lara about his suspected involvement in a 2006 homicide.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/08/20/ice-arrest-pregnant-woman-hospital-wanted-homicide-murder/

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He was wanted in Mexico to be questioned in a murder case.  I'm fine with them taking him into custody based on that.

But, take care of the pregnant woman.

I'm not. Innocent until proven guilty. There's no reason to force the man to miss the birth of his child because some police agency just wants to talk to him. He'll still be available for questioning afterwards.

Just imagine if you missed the birth of your child because you were detained for questioning about something from 12 years ago. No warrant, no charges, just questioning.

This speaks to the broader issue. There are numerous reports of ICE overstepping their legal authority and utilizing inhumane tactics in order to accomplish their goals. They're quite clearly infringing on people's civil liberties.

A government agency is going rogue and we're looking the other way because they claim it will keep us safe?

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not. Innocent until proven guilty. There's no reason to force the man to miss the birth of his child because some police agency just wants to talk to him. He'll still be available for questioning afterwards.

Just imagine if you missed the birth of your child because you were detained for questioning about something from 12 years ago. No warrant, no charges, just questioning.

I would hate missing the birth of my child and, if I were the officer, I would think I would allow him to go to the hospital and then arrest him after the birth.

But, I still don't have too big of a problem with this either.  You give a guy like this an opportunity and they run out the back door and gone.  You say he was wanted just "for questioning" like the police down there just want him to sit down for a conversation.  The way I understand it, he was the main suspect in the murder.  I'm pretty sympathetic towards immigrants.....until they are a violent criminal.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would hate missing the birth of my child and, if I were the officer, I would think I would allow him to go to the hospital and then arrest him after the birth.

But, I still don't have too big of a problem with this either.  You give a guy like this an opportunity and they run out the back door and gone.  You say he was wanted just "for questioning" like the police down there just want him to sit down for a conversation.  The way I understand it, he was the main suspect in the murder.  I'm pretty sympathetic towards immigrants.....until they are a violent criminal.

But even the Mexican authorities were careful to say he wasn't under arrest and there was no warrant. You're pre-supposing he's guilty when even the investigating authority hasn't said that.

And they do just want to sit down and have a conversation - that's what questioning is. Now that might lead to an arrest or charges, but it might also lead to clearing his name.

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No, I'm not.

Police all the time bring someone in for questioning if they THINK they may have done something illegal to then press charges after they talk to them.

How often do they grab them on the way to the birth of their child? It'd be a totally different story if they had just gone and knocked on the guy's door or if they had a warrant or were pressing charges.