Immigration Ban

Pretty cool you could go out last night Colo. Did your attorney friend say anything about the possibility of a wrongful termination suit in the even people are fired? Seems to me that people shouldn't be fired for following an order from one of our three branches of gov't aimed squarely at them. But I know no more law than anyone else here, for sure.

Random: I heard someone refer to him as "Twitler" the other day. I rather like that.

I like Twitler. The best I've seen is #Trumpsterfire

It may have been here but the other I saw that I noted is "Trumper Tantrum"

More or less they were told to enforce the EO regardless and only POTUS could direct otherwise

This seems unconstitutional...

That's a SIGNIFICANT -- but potentially quite temporary -- victory. Wow, well done to the ACLU.

It's still significant, but when I posted this, I was under the impression that the EO had been eviscerated. Learning since that it's been almost untouched is sobering.

I think it could be if say, one airport ignored the court order. If it was a verbal directive, there is too much wiggle room for misinterpretation. Ultimately control of enforcement powers could become an issue...

Pretty cool you could go out last night Colo. Did your attorney friend say anything about the possibility of a wrongful termination suit in the even people are fired? Seems to me that people shouldn't be fired for following an order from one of our three branches of gov't aimed squarely at them. But I know no more law than anyone else here, for sure.

Random: I heard someone refer to him as "Twitler" the other day. I rather like that.

We didn't discuss it directly but if a Federal agency cleans house, there are way to do it and avoid most of the lawsuits. In a right to work state, not giving a reason for the release/termination is perfectly valid and creates a large burden on the former employee(s). Otherwise, they would just try to get the employees to quit. These agency's conduct policies could come into play and they are "temporarily" demoted while they are retrained. They could the transfer/informal demotion/etc card as well. If the culling targeted only management levels, that would help keep the numbers down.

Waking up this morning, I am convinced this was a calculated "test run" by Trump's administration as much as anything else.

Here's what I think will happen, and it doesn't have a happy ending.

This is going to piss off a lot of Muslim citizens. Some of them who are now between the ages of 10 and 20 are going to want to do something about it. We might have more attacks than before, not less. If these happen while Trump is president he will say "I told you about those Muslims" and he will start trying to do things against Muslim citizens.

Our only hope which I don't see as much of a hope is he's not re-elected in 2020 and this sh#t gets reversed.

I feel like he's laying the ground work already, if he loses the electoral vote, to say that millions voted illegally. Maybe he'll just refuse to step down. Either that or, in the next 4 years, congress and/or the Supreme Court will make a bunch more voting laws or remove more voting protections that adversely affect populations that are more likely to vote Democrat.

For instance they could require voter IDs nationwide, then Republican state leaders could jack up ID costs, since poor people vote Democrats in higher %.

• Fire 4

Something is going to happen to "justify" this ban. Someone from one of these countries is going to shoot up a church or blow up a market. Something will hit the news in the next week or so, so TrumpBannon can show us all that they were right. It may lead to an even greater tightening of control.

This has happened before.

• Fire 4

The most tragic thing is that what knapp said is right, and it will be because of the ban.

This makes America much more dangerous, not safer. The best possible thing for our country is to welcome the Muslim, welcome the poor, welcome the refugee, welcome the downtrodden, then learn, interact, love and grow together. Want to guarantee terrorists keep trying to attack our country with unrelenting radicalism? Paint the United States as being anti-muslim. That makes their recruitment and their propaganda indoctrination that much easier. That makes our country that much more at risk. Fortunately for Trump, that also gives him the ammo he needs to justify trying to literally destroy world peace.

• Fire 2

The most tragic thing is that what knapp said is right, and it will be because of the ban.

This makes America much more dangerous, not safer. The best possible thing for our country is to welcome the Muslim, welcome the poor, welcome the refugee, welcome the downtrodden, then learn, interact, love and grow together. Want to guarantee terrorists keep trying to attack our country with unrelenting radicalism? Paint the United States as being anti-muslim. That makes their recruitment and their propaganda indoctrination that much easier. That makes our country that much more at risk. Fortunately for Trump, that also gives him the ammo he needs to justify trying to literally destroy world peace.

the military-industrial complex would really hate that.